acne after antibiot...

Notifications
Clear all

acne after antibiotics for wisdom tooth

MemberMember
(@woggies)

Posted : 11/20/2010 12:43 am

Hello, I got my wisdom teeth pulled and took antibiotics. Up to then my face was clear. However, now I am getting horrible acne around my mouth / jawline.

Any help is appreciated. I've recently started taking probiotics.

This makes me very upset!! Also, I am 25/M.

MemberMember
(@indiana)

Posted : 11/22/2010 5:05 pm

Your recent breakout around your mouth area is most likely due to all the irritation caused to your skin by your dental procedure. All the poking, touching and stretching of the skin around your mouth while working on your teeth probably irritated your skin enough to breakout. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@woggies)

Posted : 11/23/2010 12:49 pm

Your recent breakout around your mouth area is most likely due to all the irritation caused to your skin by your dental procedure. All the poking, touching and stretching of the skin around your mouth while working on your teeth probably irritated your skin enough to breakout. Hope this helps!

Yes, maybe, but the procedure was 2 months ago... I think it was the antibiotics!

MemberMember
(@sweedy)

Posted : 11/24/2010 11:41 pm

Which antibiotic was it?

MemberMember
(@woggies)

Posted : 11/25/2010 7:06 pm

Which antibiotic was it?

Doxycycline I believe!

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 11/25/2010 7:07 pm

Stopping an antibiotic (particularly doxy or minocycline) abruptly can induce an acne flare. It will eventually subside. just treat your skin gently, wash with gentle cleanser. Warm, not hot water.

MemberMember
(@woggies)

Posted : 11/25/2010 9:46 pm

Stopping an antibiotic (particularly doxy or minocycline) abruptly can induce an acne flare. It will eventually subside. just treat your skin gently, wash with gentle cleanser. Warm, not hot water.

Thanks , I took the pill 3 times a day for a week.. Forget the dosage..

The acne is a lot better now , but why is it only near my mouth/ jawline?

Is it possible candida overgrew?

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 11/25/2010 10:16 pm

Not likely at all. It's more likely just the bacteria having a field day (so to speak) after being suppressed. It'll get better.

MemberMember
(@woggies)

Posted : 11/25/2010 10:20 pm

Not likely at all. It's more likely just the bacteria having a field day (so to speak) after being suppressed. It'll get better.

Thanks, for future reference is there a safer antibiotic? And why is it only around my mouth and jawline ?

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 11/25/2010 10:23 pm

Thanks, for future reference is there a safer antibiotic? And why is it only around my mouth and jawline ?

Doxy and mino are fine to use; they just should be weaned down/tapered down to avoid that type of breakout. I don't know why it's just around the mouth/jawline. It is possible that the irritation from the procedure made you more susceptible there. Otherwise, I don't know. :)

MemberMember
(@woggies)

Posted : 11/25/2010 10:31 pm

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 11/25/2010 10:32 pm

Doxy and mino are fine to use; they just should be weaned down/tapered down to avoid that type of breakout. I don't know why it's just around the mouth/jawline. It is possible that the irritation from the procedure made you more susceptible there. Otherwise, I don't know. :)

MemberMember
(@woggies)

Posted : 11/26/2010 12:25 pm

I looked at my bottle.. i was actually taking amoxicillin 500MG, 3 times a day.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 04/30/2013 1:46 am

did your acne clear?

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 04/30/2013 2:43 am

I cannot condone the use of antibiotics to control acne, based on my own experiences!

MemberMember
(@ask24)

Posted : 05/07/2013 8:12 pm

This happened to me as well. I had antibiotics for my lungs, but as we all know whatever you put in your body goes into systemic circulation. So the antibiotic is destroying your gut microflora (try to take probiotics).

Once your digestive system is weak now its harder to break down food--> hard to detoxify your body--> pimples.

check out my post for getting long lasting clear skin.