Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kate2288

A very easy, and somewhat funny, way to eat healthy

Well, my friends think it's hilarious, my doctor thinks it's hilarious, so I thought I would share. Be warned that unless you are like me, a 22-year-old woman who thinks she's 82, this may or may not be the diet for you, but it's what I do and it works for me. And I do believe that the way I eat influences my skin for the better. So, introducing ... the Cereal, Sandwich, and Rice diet.

Breakfast - I eat either cheerios or oatmeal with soy milk virtually every morning of my life, but I'm great at adding variety. I always add bananas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc. For me, it's just a straightforward way to get the fruit I need into my diet.

Lunch - I like what I like, and I like sandwiches. I rarely eat anything else for lunch. Whole wheat bread, some kind of meat or canned tuna or salmon, light mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, onions. There you have it, a sandwich.

Dinner - Brown rice, and whatever I happen to feel like mixing it with: green peppers, red peppers, onions, broccoli, guacamole, chicken, some low fat sour cream, re-fried beans, salsa, carrots, pees ... you can mix almost anything with rice. There you go, dinner.

And of course I eat my share of unhealthy things, which for me is mostly coffee and red bull, and I mix it up from time to time, especially if pizza is available.

Eating this way makes grocery shopping incredibly easy. All I really have to buy are cheerios, oatmeal, bread, rice, and then think about what I'm going to mix them with. I think the reason it's so hard for people to eat healthy is because they never know what they're going to eat. I always know what I'm going to eat, and I don't crave anything else, but maybe that is just me. Anyway, for the sake of amusement and possibly helping someone out there who likes things simple like me, just wanted to share! And, yes, I do think it plays a big part in my complexion. Whenever I eat a lot of fast food or anything like that, I always break out more.

Edited by Kate2288

I think the reason it's so hard for people to eat healthy is because they never know what they're going to eat.

^Spot on. No pun intended. ;)

Edited by BeadyB

Simply put, it's a diet that works for you. Many people suffering from acne could clear themselves at least 70% by cutting out junk and eating what is considered "healthier than the average American". Another thing that helps is the uniformity of your diet. I'm guessing you eat at about the same time every day, approximately the same amount. The body likes schedule. Change screws up the motions.

Of course, there are those of us with more serious food intolerances that wouldn't be able to follow the exact same diet, but as I said, the main guidelines of uniformity and little/no junk are really huge.

Good job :]

Simply put, it's a diet that works for you. Many people suffering from acne could clear themselves at least 70% by cutting out junk and eating what is considered "healthier than the average American". Another thing that helps is the uniformity of your diet. I'm guessing you eat at about the same time every day, approximately the same amount. The body likes schedule. Change screws up the motions.

Of course, there are those of us with more serious food intolerance that wouldn't be able to follow the exact same diet, but as I said, the main guidelines of uniformity and little/no junk are really huge.

Good job :]

Very true - It's not an end all, be all diet (for sure!), but maybe a good starting point to come up with ideas. Some people might need to make it dairy free, gluten free, etc. I guess the main point is that I use bland foods that I know I will eat as a base, and then add healthy foods to it. Surely, there are improvements that could be made in a more disciplined person. I haven't completely cut out the junk, and I don't follow this diet as a religion. It's actually not even a diet, because I didn't start it on purpose; it's mostly the product of a girl who doesn't like change! lol ... and, yes, I think uniformity is important, just because most people don't have the time or motivation to sit around and make detailed meal plans every day. And, particularly if you are young and not married and without kids, a Hot Pocket and Doritos might sound like a good enough, quick enough meal. But a sandwich, to me anyway, is just as quick and just as good.

Edited by Kate2288

I could totally do this haha. Does it make you gain weight though?

Hmm ... I've been eating this way pretty much forever and I've weighed about the same for the past decade (since I was 12), and that is under 110 pounds. But I guess I can't really say whether it would make somebody else gain weight or not. I don't see why it would, but it really depends on how you do it, what your portion sizes are, etc.

Edited by Kate2288

Lol I would never do this diet. That's a very high GI diet. It's not hard to eat healthy. Tons of veggies, healthy proteins and fats, and fish. Fruit here and there.

Bottom line is that this diet isnt good for acne people. Cereal, whole wheat bread, and rice are ALL inflammatory foods. And that's All you eat lol

Hoper - the way you worded that made me laugh. I'm not really that educated on inflammatory / inflammatory foods. I know that those wheat based foods don't bother my acne; when I eat like this, my acne is better. I suppose if you have a gluten intolerance, you need to make sure you're eating a gluten-free diet. Who really knows? I guess I'm more of a believer that eating nutrient dense foods in general makes you healthier on the inside and out, and also, I'm just a very stubborn eater. VERY stubborn. lol

Hoper - the way you worded that made me laugh. I'm not really that educated on inflammatory / inflammatory foods. I know that those wheat based foods don't bother my acne; when I eat like this, my acne is better. I suppose if you have a gluten intolerance, you need to make sure you're eating a gluten-free diet. Who really knows? I guess I'm more of a believer that eating nutrient dense foods in general makes you healthier on the inside and out, and also, I'm just a very stubborn eater. VERY stubborn. lol

Well, thehoper is actually right. Almost all acne sufferers would be better off without grains. Most people would in general. The thing is, grains are not very nutrient dense. Sure they have more nutrients than most crap food, but compared to veggies and healthy fats it is no match. Grains are not a natural part of the human diet, and I firmly believe that most people on this board could get 99% clear after just 2 months by simply cutting out all grains and processed foods.

Yeah I know. I am trying to be a personal trainer, and acne has made me a scientist on nutrition I've done countless hours on all different subjects of foods.

It makes me laugh when I was into my break room at work, and girls are talking about how they are eating "healthy" and yet they are eating yogurts and granola bars. I always feel the need to share my knowledge with them and give them a little friendly lecture.

There is no reason for grains in a human diet. They do nothing but problems if you have an already great diet. If you eat properly, people get rid of problems they thought were for life. Really. I'm a very firm believer that 95% of people defects and diseases are caused by diet.

Let me give you a lay out on IMO the best acne diet.

Morning: Wake up. Have at least one full glass of water to start. I love the feeling of it rushing through me, and energizing my brain. It's very important to start every day with water.

Fruit Salad: Yes. First thing after water make yourself a fruit salad. Personally, I got tired of making ones every morning, so I made a giant fruit salad and have it in my fridge, a lot easier. Then I just add a banana to the mix. Fruit is high in fiber, and cleanses your system from the day before. It also gives you REAL energy for the entire day. Not your cocaine coffee. This is real energy with no crashes, nice stable energy through out your day.

Tea: I then follow with a cup of tea. Naturally Decaf Green Tea is what I choose. Anything high in anti-oxidants. Peppermint tea is also very good. Has naturally decaf green tea in it, along with cinnamon, ginger, and some other ingredients good for us acne people.

Wait an hour or so.

Green Smoothie: Spinach. Love it. Learn to love it. It's a must for us people. Besides, in my green smoothie, I DON'T EVEN TASTE IT. Yes it's awesome, you don't have to ask. What I put it the smoothie? I have one of those smoothie makers, f'n awesome, it is a coffee grinder type stand, and a bunch of smoothie cups. you put your ingredients in, twist on the cap, and put in upside down into the base, and it grinds it all up for you. And extremely easy to use/clean. I recommend it if you have any idea what the hell I'm talking about. Moving on- Spinach, Flax Seed, Flax Seed Meal, Handful of almonds, Hemp Milk (whatever you want, or water works), and if I'm feeling froggy I'll through in a fruit. Remember fruit has very powerful taste, so it's great when you want to over power something. But even without the fruit, my smoothie just tastes like a nut smoothie. Really the flaxseed meal is what I taste the most. You have no idea there is spinach in it.

Wait couple hours.

Cookin time. Turkey burgers. GOD SENT. Love these. Get 3 lbs at wally world for 5 bucks. Ground turkey meat. 20g of protein in every 1/3 lb patty, gotta love it. So I cook up a patty, and have a nice bowl of mixed veggies. I pay the oprah sized bags at wally world too, it's like your feeding 18 kids, for like 6 bucks. Lasts me a good 3 weeks.

Wait.

Turkey Itailin sausage/Chicken. I go on and off. So I cook whatever up (I do a lot of cooking.) and also cook up a nice dose of peppers. Along with another bowl of veggies.

Wait

Fish. I always try getting some fish in, as it always gives my stomach a great feeling of content, and fish is just all around amazing for you. Has to be one of if not THE food for humans. I love my haddock. Tin foil over a cookie sheet, extra virgin olive oil dashed across, followed by ginger powder, onion powder, garlic powder. Then a fresh squeezed lemon or lime across. Followed abruptly by more garlic powder. And off into the broiling oven she goes. Wait 10 minutes..BAM. A delicious piece of fish for half or third of the cost eating out. At my local grocery, I got in good with the old seafood woman, a lot of smiles and persuasive talking and I always get the freshest hooked up at good prices. WOOHOO, love it.

And I'll have some more peppers, veggies, etc.

Night time:

Make a salad. Again just like fruit salad, I have a huge bowl in my fridge just waiting to be destroyed. Fresh greens, purple onions (the most potent), garlic, carrots, everyone knows whats in a damn salad. By the way I don'[t use dressings, way too high in salt. Your mind will get used to no dressings, DON'T BE A WUSS! Food is just another temptation, remember that. Everyone who says they can't do it is weak minded, DON'T BE! Eat healthy, and you will have confidence in yourself to stick by something, to some it's boot camp, and it victory always feels great.

Before bed, more tea. Yep. Another cup.

YES. I eat a lot. I'm a grown man people. Well..20 years old. A GROWN MAN. lol. I also take my fair share of supplements strategically place throughout the day. And all I do for a mask is a yogurt/cinnamon mask. Plain yogurt with enough cinnamon just to make it turn that light brown. Don't want to over do it as it can cause irritation. Then I smear pure honey over any needed areas.

Stick to my blue prints, and I believe I can solve ANY acne problem. Coming from a kid who has been there..done that..yeah, nothing works but this.

Ah wow, a lot of typing. Good bye people. Hopefully at least one person reads this so I didn't waste my beloved precious time. :D

^Lol, you didn't waste your time, but currently, I'm having a good bit of success doing a high-fiber diet, and whole grains/wholemeal are simply the best way to get dietary fiber. Keeping your colon extremely healthy is generally very helpful in reducing inflammation and increasing energy levels. I know there are bushmen in Africa that subsist almost entirely on vegetables and drop loose ~75 lb. turds, but that's not the ideal "me".

Well, thehoper is actually right. Almost all acne sufferers would be better off without grains. Most people would in general. The thing is, grains are not very nutrient dense. Sure they have more nutrients than most crap food, but compared to veggies and healthy fats it is no match. Grains are not a natural part of the human diet, and I firmly believe that most people on this board could get 99% clear after just 2 months by simply cutting out all grains and processed foods.
Edited by treefase93

whole grains/wholemeal are simply the best way to get dietary fiber. Keeping your colon extremely healthy is generally very helpful in reducing inflammation and increasing energy levels.

Well, whole grains are nothing compared to vegetables when it comes to dietary fiber. Also, vegetables have the benefit of giving you valuable nutrients, whereas grains just act as an anti-nutrient. Grains are actually not good for your intestines, but I guess you never heard of "enema"? One of its most valuable functions is that it removes all the digested grains sticking to your intestines preventing uptake of actual nutrients.

Unfortunately, "the natural human diet" varies from human to human.

Not really, no. We haven't evolved in that regard. Just because we technically can digest grains does not mean it is good. You can also - technically - digest paper, but it is still not good for you.

There's evidence Europeans have been eating wheat since the original 6'4" European, Cro-Magnon. Wheat has been cultivated for many thousands of years in Europe.

Wheat was only introduced up to 10,000 years ago. We have existed for much longer than that without eating any grains.

Maybe I'd be better off cutting it out, but I'm kind of addicted bruh :/. And since I spend 8.5 hours a day at school doing 24+ college credits, it's really quite impossible for me to subsist on veggies and meat alone.

I think the ideal situation for all of us would be to get our digestive tracts healthy enough to be able to process any sort of food without problems. The reason I've had dietary problems was from pushing myself to dietary extremes; I went anti-candida for a month and my skin consistently got worse. And food is one of my favorite things; I'm just not ready to cut out delicious pies, chocolate, donuts, Mochi, cheese, etc.

My dream is to be able to feast on delicious things of all varieties constantly without compromise, and I'll be damned if I never reach that point.

I tried paleo for a month and got almost completely clear (a couple more weeks and I would've been clear). I also realized how hard it is to live without grains. Not because I'm addicted, but because it is just so much easier because it doesn't need much preparation if any at all. After that month I started eating grains again, although trying to limit it as much as possible, and I only eat rye bread. Got acne back in the same state as it was before I tried paleo just after a week back on grains. As soon as I find something for breakfast and lunch, which is just as easy to prepare as slicing rye bread and putting on cold cuts, my diet will become 100% grain free. Just haven't found anything yet to replace it.

But what I've realized over the past few years, where I've gone from coke and candy every weekend and some weekdays, along with junkfood most days of the week, to no consumption of junkfood, anything with raw sugars, and trying mainly to stick to the "healthy" stuff whenever possible... What I've realized is that most eating habits are simply just habits. You just have to break them. Sure it is hard, but after a while you'll get used to a new style of eating and you won't even feel the need to drink coke or eat pies anymore, and you won't look back cause you won't miss it. You got used to something new, you get a new habit. It's all about replacing bad habits with less bad habits. Do it in your own pace, but don't lose focus. In the end you'll have replaced all of your bad habits with good habits, and it won't be hard or frustrating cause you'll be just as addicted to your new lifestyle as you once were to your old lifestyle. Just take it one step at a time. And don't be afraid to take a step in the wrong direction once in a while, cause that's just another way to figure out what is the right direction. Doing nothing is not gonna get you anywhere. Of course, all of this is just my opinion and thoughts, but I hope you can make some sense of it.

Well, your dinners sound healthy at least.

Cheerios are pretty much junk. And you may not actually have any noticeable problems from all that bread. But never kid yourself. Bread is not a health food, no matter how whole grain it is. Some breads may be less bad than others, but that's all. Gluten is damaging to everyone, whether or not you've developed an actual intolerance.

Perhaps this is why your doctor thinks your diet is funny. I doubt it though. Doctors know little about nutrition.

Edited by alternativista

Wow, this thread has gone a bit over my head. Maybe I should mention that my breakfast is more fruit than cereal, and my dinner is more vegetables than rice. I don't think about a half cup of oatmeal, two slices of bread, and maybe a half cup of rice is quite as bad as some seem to be making it out to be. And, as someone mention, my diet is healthier than that of the average American's, although it's far from being perfect. My understanding is that inflammatory foods and anti-inflammatory foods sort of balance eachother out, and after doing a little research I think my diet is pretty balanced. Lots of fruits, veggies, some fish ... it's fine. If I were to try a completely anti-inflammatory diet, it wouldn't last very long. Let's face it, bread is a big part of the American diet. I'm not saying you can't remove it from your own diet, but for me that wouldn't be worth it. And, my belief is that while diet probably influences acne a little, just put some Benzoyl Peroxide on it and kill it! Sheesh!

Haha true. Sorry if my post made ya frustrated. Wasn't trying to stir you up. All I ask though is to not think of your diet outside of anyone but yourself. Base your foods off what works for you. If this diet works for you, then I'm going to say I'm jealous of ya. Enjoy your cereal and bread, two of my most favorite foods I was forced to give up.

Haha, okay Hoper - truce :P ... and, also, how in the world could you give up bread or cereal? That's sad ... there has to be another way! Don't tell me you don't eat pizza either, because I think I might cry.

I haven't given up breads, I just limit them because they aren't health foods, gluten damages intestines and I make most meals out of nutrient dense foods. I would never eat them daily.

Haha, okay Hoper - truce :P ... and, also, how in the world could you give up bread or cereal? That's sad ... there has to be another way! Don't tell me you don't eat pizza either, because I think I might cry.

lol I don't. And guess what, pizza is one of my favorite foods. :wall:

It sucks. There are days when I want to give up and go on Accutane and eat whatever I want, but then I think of how my diet helps me in so many other ways other then just skin.

It sucks, I know, I know..but the best thing to do is just surround yourself with delicious foods that are good for you. You can make brownies, cookies, etc that are good for you. Thanks to almond flour.

I went on a strict candida/paleo diet for 4 months, NO GRAINS, no sugar, no yeast, no vinegar... blah blah blah.... I did not get clear, HOWEVER it seemed to make my skin look nicer and cleared up parts of my face. I still however, would get huge cysts every day on my cheeks ugh. I honestly thought going on the paleo diet would clear my skin 100%.... it didnt :(. And yes it was DAMN hard to stick with, it was affecting my life so negatively.

After the nutritionists at the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) stated that the single most important change a person can make to their diet is add sweet potatoes and to replace fatty foods with them, I think your diet could use improvement.

The single most nutritious food in the world, according to various studies and the CSPI, is sweet potatoes, surpassing other foods by nearly 100 points.

I would get rid of the soy milk and processed cereal in the morning. Soy milk is the most genetically modified food in the world. I'd use almond milk. I'd eat veggies (perhaps sweet potatoes?). Or perhaps I'd buy a "raw cereal" from a health food store that is made of seeds and nuts and fruit and pour it into my almond milk.

Edited by Dotty1