Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I'm 16 and I have bad acne on both my cheeks.

I've been using Proactive for 3 weeks and I'm seeing little results.

Yesterday, I was reading on the internet that table salt can help with acne so i soaked a cotton pad with table salt and left it on some red marks left by acne for 3 minutes. I woke up this morning and those red marks grew a sore white head. Is this a good thing or a bad thing and I'm thiking about popping it?

Thanks.

If you cannot stand it, please pop it safely. :)http://www.acne.org/pop.html

It's possible the salt may have helped bring it to a head. That's not necessarily bad and not necessarily good. :P hard to say. If you mess with it a lot, you'll seriously annoy it. If you leave it alone, it might get better by itself.

Salt may contain iodine and iodine may irritate the pore and increase breakouts. :( Apple cider vinegar diluted with water -25% vinegar and the rest water - may help, too, as it exfoliates. Exfoliation can be very helpful in getting rid of clogged pores but there's always the chance you'll irritate the skin more rather than help it.

If you cannot stand it, please pop it safely. :)

It's possible the salt may have helped bring it to a head. That's not necessarily bad and not necessarily good. :P hard to say. If you mess with it a lot, you'll seriously annoy it. If you leave it alone, it might get better by itself.

Salt may contain iodine and iodine may irritate the pore and increase breakouts. :( Apple cider vinegar diluted with water -25% vinegar and the rest water - may help, too, as it exfoliates. Exfoliation can be very helpful in getting rid of clogged pores but there's always the chance you'll irritate the skin more rather than help it.

Thanks, but would it be a good idea to pop them or not?

and i don't know what those things you suggested are or where to get them so i'll just continue to use the Proactive Step 1 to exfoliate my skin.

Also, I've read that hydrogen peroxide is good for removing redness and clearing acne, is this true?

I'M DESPERATE FOR AN ANSWER FOR THIS BAD ACNE ON MY CHEEKS!!! lol.

Edited by madmike

No, hydrogen peroxide is not good for skin, particularly for HEALING skin (thus acne).

Apple cider vinegar is vinegar. There might be some in your house. Ask your mom.

But if the proactive product is working fine, don't worry about using something else. :)

You could add in benzoyl peroxide in a wash form (like Oxy) or in a cream or gel form (like Neutrogena on the spot or dan's - the owner of this site makes a nice 2.5% benzoyl peroxide product).

If you have inflammatory acne (mainly red swelling lesions) rather than non-inflammatory (like blackheads or whiteheads), you might want to consider the regimen that's on this site, acne.org. :)

No, hydrogen peroxide is not good for skin, particularly for HEALING skin (thus acne).

Apple cider vinegar is vinegar. There might be some in your house. Ask your mom.

But if the proactive product is working fine, don't worry about using something else. :)

You could add in benzoyl peroxide in a wash form (like Oxy) or in a cream or gel form (like Neutrogena on the spot or dan's - the owner of this site makes a nice 2.5% benzoyl peroxide product).

If you have inflammatory acne (mainly red swelling lesions) rather than non-inflammatory (like blackheads or whiteheads), you might want to consider the regimen that's on this site, acne.org. :)

Yeah... i kinda just tried hydrogen peroxide on my acne and my face is as dry as a desert..

I'm going to continue using proactive but HP always works on my cold sores that are pretty much little white heads(red spots with white heads) under my bottom lip when i get them so it might work for my acne too? because they look the same just smaller.

Also, i used proactive at 6am this morning and i just used a face wash (Fragrence free nuetrogena) and then used the hydrogen peroxide. I was wondering if i should use proctive tonight before i go to bed? (around 11:30)

Hydrogen peroxide is not good for skin, particularly for HEALING skin. :) If you absolutely insist on using it, at least rinse it off afterwards because it will destroy healing tissue AND cause malformation of granulation tissue.

I don't know what's in the proactive product or what the instructions/directions are for it. I'd follow those directions.