Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Addie

Helpful regimen for moderate acne

I'm having fabulous luck with my newly tweaked (tweaked for several weeks) regimen, so I thought I'd share it. I basically do the Regimen with Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid instead of BP. I'm allergic to BP, so I've never tried the actual Regimen. I've been using the PC BHA for well over a year, but in a smaller amount, and it has worked only partially. No other BHA products have ever worked for me. With this tweaked regimen, I'm left only with a couple healing pimples and a lot of red marks after the aforementioned several weeks.

Details of my regimen:

I use 2 pumps of the acne.org cleanser day and night. I try to wash my face quickly, but probably don't live up to the 10-second goal of the Regimen. I wait until my face is completely dry before I move on to the next step.

I use a whole palm-full of BHA liquid day and night. It can be difficult not spilling it when I spread it on, but it's possible. I try to be very gentle when I'm massaging it in. I just spend a minute or two at this because it never feels like the BHA completely absorbs, even if I spend all day at it, since it leaves a slight slippery layer. I give the BHA at least 15 minutes to absorb, usually 30 minutes when I have nowhere to go.

During the day, I use 4 drops of jojoba oil over the BHA, let it soak in a for a minute, and then use 1 1/2 quarter's size of Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer, Sensitive Skin, Classic Gentle Formula. Honestly I just switched from Paula's Choice Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 45+ a few days ago, so I don't know if the Olay will work out yet. I think the Paula's Choice was not causing more acne, but further inflaming the acne I had. So far the Olay seems gentle and isn't causing further inflammation. I apply the jojoba oil separately instead of adding the drops to the sunscreen because I don't want it to dilute the sunscreen. I use 1 1/2 quarter's size of sunscreen instead of 1 quarter's size because I want to make sure I'm applying enough. It requires several minutes of massaging to get rid of the white color of the Olay, but it does eventually fade. This step leaves me shiny, but I use toilet paper to blot after the sunscreen has set on my skin (20 minutes).

At night I use two pumps of (the new) Acne.org Moisturizer combined with twelve drops of jojoba oil. I massage it in a little, but let it do most of the absorbing itself.

Random information:

This regimen makes me flaky around healing acne, but nowhere else. I have very oily skin, so others might get flakier. The jojoba oil, sunscreen, and moisturizer take care of the flakiness for me.

My face is actually less oily since starting this regimen.

The BHA causes me absolutely no irritation now, but I believe it caused a little irritation when I began it over a year ago. This liquid formula definitely feels and acts stronger than gel or cream formulations I've tried.

All that said, I just increased my dose of lithium. Higher blood levels (like I get from this dosage increase) have caused severe acne in the past, so this regimen may not work for me much longer, but I wanted to share it with others as a potential regimen for moderate acne.

Edited by Addie

Glad it's working for you. It seems like a very sound regimen. Salicylic acid is good stuff.

You're right, if you'd had enemas in the title you'd have had 100 replies or so.

Have you tried the other forms of Paula's BHA? I've got the lotion and could never really tell if it was doing anything.