Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So, the winter-y weather recently has made my jawline and outer-face skin flaking really bad. I've tried pretty much everything I think:

-Tried the 'jojoba oil massage' that is one of the pinned threads. Didn't seem to do much.

-Tried Dan's AHA+, which worked o.k. but not perfectly and was not very moisturizing.

-Currently using Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair w/AHA at night, it's alright again but doesn't eliminate flakes.

I am currently getting flakes during the day, which is obviously undesirable. I am using Dan's moisturizer + 6 drops of Jojoba, applying 2 pumps or so. It just doesn't seem to absorb very well. At any point in the day I can 'peel off' a thin layer of skin from any part of my face. I'm not sure whether this is normal or not. I can also rub, say, my chin, and have clumps of moisturizer flake off - even with no visible flakes.

Am I not exfoliating correctly? I use the cleanser as advised by Dan, and even that leaves my skin very dry and a bit flaky afterwards. I just don't understand how anyone can put up with this for the 3+ months of winter ahead of us all. Please advise!!!

you could do what i do.

Cleanse

Oil scrub (exfoliation method, whatever you want to call it)

Wipe off excess oil with fingers

BP.

It gets rid of basically ALL my flakes, and if i get a few scragglers a couple hours later, i just apply more moisturizer with a bit of oil in it, and gently rub it in until i can't see the flakes anymore.

It works well for me, since doing the scrub BEFORE cleansing does nothing whatsoever for me, and just applying oil before BP doesn't help since i always have a thick layer of flakes after cleansing.

Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly give it a try! Good to hear as well that someone else uses the Eucerin Plus stuff w/AHA on their face... I was getting a bit worried tbh.

I suppose a larger question is whether this issue of being able to 'pick off' thin layer-flakes of skin at any time is... normal? I mean, I understand that I have BP and moisturizer on my face, so I guess I can't expect it to all absorb, but is that o.k.?

Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly give it a try! Good to hear as well that someone else uses the Eucerin Plus stuff w/AHA on their face... I was getting a bit worried tbh.

I suppose a larger question is whether this issue of being able to 'pick off' thin layer-flakes of skin at any time is... normal? I mean, I understand that I have BP and moisturizer on my face, so I guess I can't expect it to all absorb, but is that o.k.?

Oh i pick flakes off my forehead all the time, and its never caused me to break out, so i think its okay.

And i'm kind of iffy on the eucerin, its not moisturizing enough, and i can't use extra because it doesn't absorb when i use a lot, it kind of...separates on my skin? like little droplets of milk, does that ever happen to you or is it just me?

socialanxiety -- My moisturizers sometimes separate on my skin too, but usually only if I try to rub it after it's completely dried. This is why I've stopped using makeup primer.. because when I rub it in, it makes my moisturizer ball up. I figure it's more important to have properly moisturized skin. But I'm also having a bit of a problem with dry/flaking skin, but it only surfaces a few hours into the day so it's an odd situation. I'll let you know if I find a solution.

and I've always sort of disliked jojoba oil... I have tried numerous ways of using it, but no matter what, it seems like all it does is sit on top of my skin. So it doesn't properly moisturize anything. But maybe I'm still using it wrong.. who knows?

Haha, I experienced the 'beading' situation tonight myself. It's usually all absorbed by the morning though, but I never stay up more than an hour after I apply it so who knows when it happens?!

I've been using 1.5 pumps of the Eucerin, and you're right more doesn't really help. I wish there was some easy and simple way to take care of the dry skin/flaking issue!!!

About Jojoba not absorbing and sitting on the surface, I kind of agree with you I think. There is definitely always a 'layer' when I put on moisturizer, even if it's very thin. To be honest it's pretty frustrating. The regimen should be so simple - clean, apply BP, moisturize, but it ends up taking me around 2 hours per day (can't leave the house if moisturizer hasn't absorbed...), and seems to get more and more complicated!!!

Who would have thought that acne would be less of a hassle than the dry skin/flaking? To be true my outbreaks have really cut down, so it's not a complete wash.

Well, I've been scouring the product reviews in the hopes of finding a suitable replacement for Eucerin -- seems most reviews mention that it is primarily for the body, not the face. At any rate, the two products that seem pretty highly touted are Lac-Hydrin 5, and Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream (which has the highest rating of any product on the site). I think I will buy the latter and try it out for a few weeks. I have tried Cetaphil's lotion in the past and can't remember anything horrible happening, so can't hurt I suppose. I'll update if results are good (or, bad I suppose :()

Well, I've been scouring the product reviews in the hopes of finding a suitable replacement for Eucerin -- seems most reviews mention that it is primarily for the body, not the face. At any rate, the two products that seem pretty highly touted are Lac-Hydrin 5, and Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream (which has the highest rating of any product on the site). I think I will buy the latter and try it out for a few weeks. I have tried Cetaphil's lotion in the past and can't remember anything horrible happening, so can't hurt I suppose. I'll update if results are good (or, bad I suppose :()

I just said screw it and applied a good...puddle? of eucerin (since its kind of runny) and the little droplets went away after i spent a little extra time rubbing it in, and letting it just absorb in for an hour instead of getting frustrated and wiping it off.

Also, i've tried the cream, and i MUCH prefer the lotion, since the cream is rather thick and never moisturizes deep enough, it just makes my skin greasy, and when i blot it off, its dry underneath.

I remember the first time i used the lotion (i was originally using the cream when i first started the regimen) and i almost cried, my skin was so SOFT, it felt like actual SKIN for the first time in a month, it left my skin a little...tacky? for a minute, but it was moisturized the entire day.

Weird how it doesn't last that long by itself anymore, or blend in as well as it did the first couple of days. -shrug-

Also, fourfivesix, you could try different oils? or just blot off the excess, i definitely notice a difference from when i don't use oil, and when i do, much less flakes.

I feel your pain Sprintz. I started the Regimen 5 weeks ago, and the first week was when the temperatures dropped in the 40s. I read the pinned handbook on the main Regimen forum page and the woman who posted it applied a little bit more pressure to her face when cleansing. I know this sounds risky, but I have been doing it currently with no problems. It eliminates some flakiness. Also, what kind of jojoba oil are you using? I purchased some from NOW foods, and it was a joke. It sat on top of the skin and did nothing. The stuff from Dan's website does the trick for me. It absorbs pretty quickly and doesn't leave an oily residue unless you use more than 8 or 9 drops.

Also if your having a problem finding an AHA lotion that works, Lac Hydrin 5 seems to be a good option. It burns like hell the first time or two, but it does the job. My skin is less flaky and hopefuly getting to the point where I don't need to moisturize a 3rd time during the day.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Edited by Ryan C

i had the same problem, my skin was just falling off. and jojoba oil was just lying like a layer on top of the skin. then i tried coconut oil. and i know some people says that this is the worst thing to use because it WILL BREAK YOU OUT, guarantee. i was using it for the hair and really like the consistent, so i decided to try. i mix it with moisture, but the absolute best use is to bring the little box (solid at room temperature) with me, because always during the day more skin is flaking and becoming 'white' as it always looks when you can start to rub it off (u know what i mean?) and then i apply coconut oil (and sometimes loose powder on top if i'm in make up-mood) on the dry places, and it's totally gone, in few second. it's amazing. not a shiny layer, no break outs, nothing. just smooth :D

sometimes when applying moisture after bp it's like the skin wants to shed a layer. then it's perfect to massage with lots of coconut oil. all the dead skin falls off and the rest is super smooth.

So Ryan C, it might just be the brand of jojoba oil I'm using? Did you notice a big difference between Dan's jojoba oil and the one you bought at the store? Does Dan's absorb better and moisturize enough to keep the flakes away? Was it a really big difference between the two?

Haha sorry for all the questions, but my dry/combo skin is driving me crazy! I'm loving the colder weather, but hating my bipolar skin.

So Ryan C, it might just be the brand of jojoba oil I'm using? Did you notice a big difference between Dan's jojoba oil and the one you bought at the store? Does Dan's absorb better and moisturize enough to keep the flakes away? Was it a really big difference between the two?

Haha sorry for all the questions, but my dry/combo skin is driving me crazy! I'm loving the colder weather, but hating my bipolar skin.

I ordered some NOW foods brand jojoba off the internet just to give it a try. It was crap!!! I wouldn't be surprised if it was expired. It works okay for other places, but not the face. I tried ordering Dan's just to see how it works. Dan's moisturizes and sinks in. I can seriously use 6-7 drops without having oily skin. Now I am 6 weeks into the Regimen, so don't take me for a veteran. My skin is still flaking and red and I can't wait for it to improve. But I noticed a HUGE difference in the quality of jojoba oil (I've been using Dan's for about 2 weeks now). The one from NOW foods just sat on top of my skin and did nothing. I can feel Dan's sink in to my skin. That's just my experience so far. The wintery weather hit hard the last 3 weeks here and left my skin a mess (combined with the fact that I'm still getting used to the BP) :evil:. However, I know that at least the jojoba oil I'm using now is actually helping the problem instead of doing nothing.

Yo Sprintz I've had a similar problem. After washing my face morning or night, my skin gets super flaky and stays like that throughout the day. Just like you, I tried pretty much everything - even that Eucerin Intensive Repair moisturizer stuff. Although moisturizer helped a bit, the flakes always came back pretty quickly. So I went to my derm and she prescribed me this stuff called Promiseb. I don't remember exactly what she said it was for, but she said if I put it over my flaky areas it should do work. Sure enough, it has. It's almost like dermatologist-prescribed moisturizer, pretty thick but soaks in well and keeps the area moisturized for most of the day. I'd say it worth checking out, no harsh chemicals or anything irritating like what's in most DM-prescribed medicines.

On the more uber-flaky areas (i.e. around a pimple), I usually just leave a smallish glob of Promiseb on the afflicted area and let it soak for a couple of mins instead of instantly rubbing it in. Always does the trick. Definitely something to check out.

I have the same problem with flakes, and it's really been driving me crazy. When you have the flakiness, you can't cover anything with makeup, at least not any kind of makeup I've found, it just makes the flakes stand out even worse. And people sometimes comment on the flakes, which makes me feel awful. I guess flakes don't have the taboo that acne does about mentioning it to other people.

I started using the Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Lotion at night, it was very greasy and difficult to absorb, but it helped with the flakiness. However, it was not perfect, and I still got flakes during the day. Even worse, after a couple weeks of using it, I broke out worse than I have in years. I know I shouldn't jump to conclusions about what caused the breakout, however, I was being very diligent with the regimen the entire time, only thing different from Dan's regimen was that I was using the Eucerin at night, and as soon as I stopped using the Eucerin lotion the break out started improving. But I still need something to get rid of the flakes, or I can't do the regimen during the winter.

I have tried various ways of applying of jojoba oil, and it helps, but it's not perfect. My current thinking is that if you have tons of flakes, you need exfoliation to get rid of them, in addition to moisture. But to exfoliate without irritating your skin and causing a break out is very tricky, and I think a moisturizer with AHA is your best shot. So right now I'm searching for the perfect moisturizer with AHA to exfoliate and the right amount of whatever else to moisturize. I've had good experience with AHA in the past, it made my skin look very nice and smooth. I just need to find one with the perfect balance; Dan's AHA is no longer moisturizing enough, and the Eucerin was too greasy and I believed caused a break out. I've ordered the Lac Hydrin 5 lotion and I am praying that it will be the perfect. It has very good reviews and I am really getting my hopes up. I will try it out and report back how it works for me. The only other idea I had for gently exfoliating was using some kind of astringent, but I haven't tried it yet. Hopefully the Lac Hydrin 5 will work and I won't need to.

Guest Timehealsall
What about using aha then moisturizer immediately after, or mixing the two together?

do you guys use the jojoba exofliation method? I Mean i do not understand how you guys can go with massive flaking on your face without exfoliating it off, cant massive flakes cause your pores to become clogged?

and when i say i get flakiness, i mean literally A NEW LAYER OF DEAD SKIN. iTS LIKE i have 2 layers of skin, its awful..

cant massive flakes cause your pores to become clogged?

I don't think so, because if it's already flaking off, then your skin is already shedding it, so it's not going to clog your pores.

Sprintz,

I truly TRULY feel your pain! The last few weeks have been hell for me due to the insane dryness and flaking on my skin. I've never seen another human's face look the way mine did! On top of how bad the flaking was, my face was incredibly uncomfortable because the acne.org moisturizer was burning my face all day, causing redness, and not helping with flakes at all. Like you, I tried all the recommendations I could find on acne.org, particularly jojoba oil. I tried using jojoba oil all the different ways that people recommend... nothing worked!

In desperation, I decided to switch moisturizers. BEST IDEA EVER! I switched to Cetaphil Daily Advance Ultra Hydrating Lotion, and I am SO happy with it! After only one application, my flakes were almost completely gone! I know I'm using a lot of exclamation points, but I cannot stress enough how excited I am about this lotion lol. My skin was so horribly dry, and after one day using Cetaphil, it is back to normal. I strongly recommend that you try this. After weeks of flakiness, I have my life back!

**Note: I also am using slightly less BP to try to help my skin recover from the dryness.

Hang in there and good luck!

Edited by radiobrain

What about using aha then moisturizer immediately after, or mixing the two together?

do you guys use the jojoba exofliation method? I Mean i do not understand how you guys can go with massive flaking on your face without exfoliating it off, cant massive flakes cause your pores to become clogged?

and when i say i get flakiness, i mean literally A NEW LAYER OF DEAD SKIN. iTS LIKE i have 2 layers of skin, its awful..

The jojoba exfoliation method does not work for everyone. It sounds great, and I'm glad it works for many, but I am not one of them! It removed maybe 20% of my flakes, and did practically nothing to moisturize my skin for the rest of the day. This means that an hour after doing the exfoliation with jojoba, I had more flakes than before.

The only thing that worked for me was switching moisturizers - I switched to Cetaphil Daily Advance Ultra Hydrating Lotion, and it worked wonders!