Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tblaze04

My Issues With Acne; Self-Conscious

I have been on accutane for 4 weeks now, i feel like everyday is different - somedays my skin is okay and other days my skin is awful. It's been a week since i've left my house, i haven't gone to school and hardly leave my basement. My grades are so good that my parents don't care, they care to some extent i geuss, but they don't care enough about finding out how acne really bothers me.

I mean i haven't even hung out with my friends since september its now mid-november. My problem is i rather stay home miserable than faking a smile in public. I've been battling this phase or depression whatever you want to call it - since this past april, after i broke up with my girlfriend because i didn't want her to see me with such bad skin.

Basically, i'm use to having really high confidence and being really outgoing and i feel like people always look at me in the limelight so i set my self to such high standards, since acne i have really low self-esteem and get really quiet and ignore people when they talk to me, i don't want to be in the limelight anymore or be looked up to in anyway, because inside i feel miserable weak and insecure and have felt this way for many months.. I feel like im empty inside and never happy, things that i use to find funny or entertaining doesnt mean anything to me anymore. This might sound ridiculous to people without acne or even people with acne, but we all have certain levels of how we let it effect us and for me, well it really effects me.

If anyone feels this way or has felt this way, say somthinnnnnn.

Edited by tblaze04

i'm the same apart from the not going to school part. I have one of the best attendances in the year. I go to school every day but I don't go out anywhere else if necessary and I spend all day at school feeling paranoid and sad.

Except the difference is that at the moment my face is the least of my worries

I just feel dead inside, like it's an effort to do anything.

Yeah, i have lost a lot of motivation for things. I mean i always used to procrastinate, but lately i just feel tired about everything. I am actually starting to feel ok with my skin, but i am still the evasive person i was when my acne was at its worse, always hating it when people look at me and all that.

However the tiredness now might be a side effect of some other medication i am taking. It's strong stuff.

That sounds just like my situation with the difference that I, and this girl that I met, had just fallen for each other when I cut her off for the same reason as you did. I was devastated because of that, and I feel exactly the same as you describe that you feel.

I haven't done anything for the past two months, I've just been taking care of this effing break out that I got. I make up excuses for not meeting people, and I'm just alone in my room worrying about acne. Or, the acne was gone after one month in misery room-camping, but it left me with the freaking red marks.

How did your girlfriend take the break up? I mean, you must've told her something else than that you felt ugly or whatever, right? And how did you feel about it?

Anyways, good luck with Acctuane.

I'm sorry this phase totally SUCKS. There is no way around that.

I have felt what you are saying before. I didn't have as much confidence as it sounds like you did, but I was generally happy and comfortable for the most part with myself. When I got acne/breakouts I would feel SO self conscious and felt like everyone was staring at my spots. They really aren't. Isolating yourself from the world because of acne is a common issue, but imo it's a mistake. I made it. A lot of people have. The key is to pull yourself out of it. Do whatever you need to do- find a support system. Tell some of your friends how you feel, I mean you'd probably be surprised at the support you would get. I'm sure they are wondering why you aren't hanging out with them at all.

You are the only one who can make a difference for yourself. Realize the potential you have. Realize that you have people that care about you. You are young and you are just going through a down time. Break it! Go outside. Exercise. Read great books. Possibly call your ex girlfriend and be honest with her, clear things up. You might feel better. Hope that you find happiness sooner than later.

I have been on accutane for 4 weeks now, i feel like everyday is different - somedays my skin is okay and other days my skin is awful. It's been a week since i've left my house, i haven't gone to school and hardly leave my basement. My grades are so good that my parents don't care, they care to some extent i geuss, but they don't care enough about finding out how acne really bothers me.

I mean i haven't even hung out with my friends since september its now mid-november. My problem is i rather stay home miserable than faking a smile in public. I've been battling this phase or depression whatever you want to call it - since this past april, after i broke up with my girlfriend because i didn't want her to see me with such bad skin.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWw. STORY OF MY LIFE. as long as my grades are not suffering, my parents don't give a shit about how i feel . thats why i stopped talking to my parents completely. They are finally beginning to see how i feel . & the love of my life whom i dated in grade 9 ( he was my first& only bf) i saw him this paast summer and i died inside. he was like wth happened to you.. and im always avoiding him like whenever i see his car i just walk away really fast and just turn around.. he thinks its him but its me.

Basically, i'm use to having really high confidence and being really outgoing and i feel like people always look at me in the limelight so i set my self to such high standards, since acne i have really low self-esteem and get really quiet and ignore people when they talk to me, i don't want to be in the limelight anymore or be looked up to in anyway, because inside i feel miserable weak and insecure and have felt this way for many months.. I feel like im empty inside and never happy, things that i use to find funny or entertaining doesnt mean anything to me anymore. This might sound ridiculous to people without acne or even people with acne, but we all have certain levels of how we let it effect us and for me, well it really effects me.

Are you describing my life in exact detail? Because you literally just did. I literally have no friends because of acne :(

I feel this way when my face breaks out badly. Its like you just want to hide away and hope you might get a little bit clearer. But you say people look up to you, and you used to be super outgoing and stuff..i honestly dont think people will care if you have acne. All the time i think about how if i didnt have acne, how would i view people who did? I really wouldnt care, as long as they had a great personallity. That may sound cliche or cheezy or too good to be true, but thats how i view it. Maybe if you just try to be a little more outgoing and stuff like you used to be, youll see your friends wont care what your face looks like at the time. I hope this helps :)

I felt the same way as you do seriously. But the only difference is I have a very encouraging girlfriend by my side, constantly telling me not to worry about my acne and consoling me. But still, I'm deeply affected by acne.

During lectures, I've got this thought that people are looking at my acne and I just don't feel comfortable, even to the extent I might tense up. I know this is a psychological problem but I often tell myself that no one is looking at me behind my back and no one gives a damn about my acne because everybody is concentrating on what the lesson is all about. Do any of you feel the same way too?

When I walked past girls around my school, I don't think dare to take a second glance or look at them into the eye because I felt inferior. I'm 23 and 95% of the ppl around me have clear skin. I always got this feeling that people might despise me for having acne at such age and this has been always in my head everyday.

It feels as if i just found my own doppelganger >.< your situation is exactly like mine ! I used to go out with my friends like everyday , going out feeling all handsome , but now ? my face is like WTF compared to how i used to look like , clogged pores , fkin enlarged pores ! my cheeks are like freaking red filled with some nasty blackheads ... i feel REALLY REALLY self-conscious , my parents tells me that my face isn't that bad , but my neighbours would come out " hey ! what happened to your son's face ? did you bought any pimple cream for him ?" And here i am , thinking " u know nth about me ... i wash my face like 10x a day , using every single acne cream i can think of , but some red ass cyst just kip appearing on my nose , cheeks , foreheads every once awhile ... and they leave fking red spots that take like months to fade and sometimes , small holes on nose ( noticeable when close up ) ... i just feel like shit now .. i don't even dare to chase my crush anymore ...

When i was going through acne I was already in a long relationship with my girl for 1 year but she loves me regardless of some pimples and 4 years later I'm still with her. I don't understand why you need to break up wit ya girl because of acne? If she isn't shallow and loves u for u, why call something good off over something temporary like acne? Don't get me wrong I relate to every feeling you described and understand it all cuz I was there too, but yo acne is temporary it seriously doesn't last forever, especially with today's research and different meds. You'll cause more permanent damage letting this shit take over the rest of your life. My acne is gone but I still get a nasty pimple here and there but so what? My girl still thinks I'm good looking and trust when I say she's beautiful herself so imagine how I felt when I had acne. I thought it was never going to end but take it from a actual survivor of this crap, acne does go away eventually. There are more important things in life to consider before giving it all up over a very common and very temporary thing.

Also I agree with icefairy, if people looked up to you and you were super outgoing, that respect they have for u isn't going to go away cause u have acne. If you lose yourself and your personality from it though then you will lose that respect and it will only be your fault.

Hope you can find some inner confidence again and try looking passed your acne, I know how hard it is but I did it and so can you.

thanks bek_cogent, your 1000% right...

i am the only one that can make a difference for myself. I've been in this phase for too long, my acne is starting to clear up and im starting to socialze more at school and catch up with friends again... this time if it gets bad again i wont go back to my old ways and isolate myself. Hopefully it keeps getting better though haha.

and thanks neverpaysattention - right now i have the feeling that its never going to end like you did, but once again ive felt like this fooor too long and tired of it. Im starting to get cleared up from accutane (5weeks) and hopefully it stays that way, if it doesnt then ill find something else to keep my mind off acne. And i like how you put that "if you lose yourself and your personality from it then you will lose that respaect and it will only be your fault" i likeee dat alot i agree with you.

Edited by tblaze04