Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acnefreehopefully

Leaky Gut and food allergies

I was reading the sticky on leaky gut and also reading some other sources on it.

Apparently leaky gut is ALOT more common than we think, and can actually CAUSE you to have food allergies.

Anyone know of the chances that a leaky gut can produce food allergies? This was the one thing I found almost unbelievable....as in literally unbelievable.

Apparently pieces of food(say an apple) leak out of your intestine and into your bloodstream, then your blood cells attack it and recognize apples ONLY as enemies from that point on...hence creating a food allergy.... Anyone know of this happening?

Hi,

I have severe Leaky Gut Syndrome (aka Intestinal Permeability). Before I knew what it was, I did not know why I could not eat any sources of protein (meat, dairy, eggs, nuts, seeds, legumes, beans, soy, etc.) without my skin HORRIBLY breaking out. I strictly avoided these foods for 2 years (yup, I'm still alive and doing fine!) and finally another member on this message board recognized that I needed to purchase HCl (Hydrochloric Acid) from the health food store because I was not making enough stomach acid to digest proteins and the pieces of undigested protein were dropping through my intestines and causing severe inflammation.

Two years later, I found my body developed sensitivities to avocados and tomatoes (causing severe indigestion), garlic and onion (more acne!). My diet was only becoming more and more limited as time went by due to leaky gut syndrome.

Fast-forward 3 years and I've finally found that the underlying cause of my leaky gut syndrome. I had Celiac Disease (used EnteroLab for the diagnosis for $99) which cleared me by about 10%. 90% of Celiacs have no symptoms at all. There are over 300 symptoms of Celiac Disease.

Six months later I discovered that I also have Hypothyroidism which is one of the most common health problems but also one of the most underdiagnosed. Symptoms include always feeling "chilly," cold hands & feet, fatigue (but having TONS of energy as a child, adolescent and in the early 20's), flakey, acne-prone skin, menstrual irregularities. It can cause PCOS, endometriosis and a host of other problems. Medical tests only catch extreme cases, so patients usually have to do a self-diagnosis by researching all the symptoms. It is commonly misthought that hypothyroidism causes weight gain, but there are many exceptions.

After going on a gluten-free diet and beginning a natural treatment of hypothyroidism 2 weeks ago my leaky gut syndome has greatly improved.

These are only two underlying causes of weak stomach acid and leaky gut syndome. I'm sure there will be others!

Edited by Dotty1

Do you think that low stomach acid is a type of leaky gut then, which could also cause food allergies?

You mentioned that you had symptoms of stomach upset and bloating from eating meats,nuts,seeds etc.

Is this what originally got you to explore the possibility of leaky gut?

Also, did u think that maybe u don't have leaky gut but just food allergies to those things?

Thanks for the input I'd like to hear more

Do you think that low stomach acid is a type of leaky gut then, which could also cause food allergies?

You mentioned that you had symptoms of stomach upset and bloating from eating meats,nuts,seeds etc.

Is this what originally got you to explore the possibility of leaky gut?

Also, did u think that maybe u don't have leaky gut but just food allergies to those things?

Thanks for the input I'd like to hear more

1. I think low stomach acid is common among people with leaky gut. Afterall, both are one of the most common health problems in the US.

2. I did not experience any indigestion with protein. Only HORRIBLE acne. The acne cysts would appear 4 hours after consuming protein and would last 8 days after eating the tiniest amount of protein (even 1-2 beans!). As the years have passed, I've experienced more reactions to normal foods. Headaches and diarrhea when I eat tomatoes, acne when I eat garlic or onions and diarrhea when I eat avocados. It seems every 2 months, I develop another sensitivity.

3. I began to explore leaky gut when someone on this message board said that my inability to digest protein might have been caused by leaky gut. When I began to read about leaky gut syndrome, I had all the symptoms.

4. I definitely have leaky gut. I had all the symptoms. Note: In 2010 a study finally found the hormone responsible for most leaky guts. They found that isn't necessarily caused by damage to the intestines, but rather our bodies secreting a hormone (Zonulin) that opens the walls of the intestines to absorb more nutrition when the body believes it is starving. Google "Zonulin Leaky Gut" for more information.

Edited by Dotty1