Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cvd

Best book for women with acne!

"Breaking Out: A Woman's Guide to Coping with Acne at Any Age" by Lydia Preston

This book is a must read for women! I found it at the library and really learned alot. And I liked how the author really researched and talked with the best experts in the field. May have to buy it as a reference guide...

Edited by cvd

Does the book also talk about pre-menopausal acne? that's something which a lot of people don't know or people who teach about leave out.

Book sounds interesting though.

Yes, it does. That's what made it so interesting to me. It talked about acne, especially for older women - pre/during/post menopause. Although it wasn't all about hormonal acne either but also about how the skin behaves as we get older and how to treat older adult acne better.

The thing I really learned about the most was the increased role of inflammation as we get older...how if one is prone to acne, that as we age any irritation to the skin can inflame acne. I guess this is true at any age but more so as we get older.

So after reading this book I totally changed how I washed my skin and applied lotion and retin-a. On this issue, Dan (of this site) and the book totally agree. I.e. only washing to the count of "5" or "10" at the most (...which is not very much time at all...) with extremely light swishes of the finger tips, rinsing with lukewarm water (...something I never did before - always used very warm water...) and patting very gently with towel. Then waiting 20 minutes or skin is totally dry and then applying any lotions, again extremely gently. By doing this there is left on the skin an acid mantle...which means don't look in the mag-mirror after washing because there will be patches of white --- these disappear as the skin dries...which is another reason to let the skin totally air-dry before applying anything to it. This acid mantle is what soothes the skin.

The book also emphasizes a multi-prong approach, being under the care of a dermatologist, and being very patient once a treatment regime is started...that most regimes for older acne patients take a long time to be effective....months to a year.

This was very encouraging to me. I usually give up after a month or so without progress...but on the regime below I have been patient and after doing this for a very long time my skin is doing much much better.

I need to check out the book again as I have forgotten some parts of it :)

Edited by cvd

"Breaking Out: A Woman's Guide to Coping with Acne at Any Age" by Lydia Preston

This book is a must read for women! I found it at the library and really learned alot. And I liked how the author really researched and talked with the best experts in the field. May have to buy it as a reference guide...

Thanks! Will have to check this out