Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RiverRayon

Is it okay to take the Minocycline out of my regimen?

I went to the dermatologist in late August and was prescribed a regimen of Ziana gel, Minocycline pills, and 8% Benzoyl Peroxide face wash.

I took the Minocycline everyday for a month and a half and was not seeing any improvements on my skin. I really didn't want to take antibiotics and I was scared that I was going to get a yeast infection or something gross like that, so I stopped taking it all together.

I stuck with the Ziana gel and face wash, and my skin has slowly been improving. Was it a mistake to stop taking the Minocycline? I have to go back to the dermatologist next week for a follow-up, and I don't want them to think I was being uncooperative. My last appointment, the doctor literally spent less than two minutes with me and didn't let me voice my concerns about the antibiotics.

Do you think it made a big difference?

Honestly, I took 100mg doxycycline with Retin-A and it maybe only cleared my skin 5%. I had the same kind of dermatologist. He didn't even remember me on my follow-up visit and didn't ask me a single question! I stopped taking the antibiotics after 2 months and didn't see any big difference. I was still breaking out like mad. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Antibiotics aren't a long term fix usually anyway. Just tell him you weren't comfortable taking it and leave it at that. It's your body and your face!