Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Melephant

Safe, non-comedogenic skin care - More to know.

We all know that comedegonic ingredients are bad. It's hard enough to find skincare products and cosmetics that don't contain those, as the labels "non-comedogenic" and "oil-free" are underregulated and can be very misleading. There are lists (almost all of them inaccurate) all over the web of "real non-comedogenic makeup" for acne sufferers or acne-prone skin, and even lists (most of them incomplete) of so that you can check the label for yourself (most of the time). Another good example which lists its sources (for your continued research and compilation) can be found . So far I have been unable to find a complete database of comedogenics that an engine could be created for to search for comedogenic properties in products on the ingredient level.

Something I did not know, is how many nasty, carcinogenic and otherwise toxic ingredients many products contain and how many loopholes there are in the requirements for manufacturers to even list all ingredients ("fragrance" can be listed to protect "trade secrets" without telling us which ingredients were used to produce said fragrance, etc.) and how incomplete this allows lists of ingredients to actually be. is an organization I learned about in one of my environmental studies classes that is aimed at raising awareness in the consumer base for the contents and repercussions of available manufactured goods. The video on their front page gives you a rather shocking but surprisingly accurate overview. . Dan mentions that irritation is one of the primary factors in the formation and perpetuation of an acne problem, and putting toxic shit directly onto our faces can not be helping our cause.

I wouldn't bother clicking the link at the end of the film to "safecosmetics.org" or wherever, because it's just an extension of the Story of Stuff community and their cause. My primary problem with their film was that they did not offer currently available safe alternatives to the consumer (presumably because consumers who feel that safe alternative products exist will simply purchase them and lose interest in the cause of the organization). Luckily for us there IS . If you can't find the products you use, there is even a feature (if you sign up, which is free, and hasn't gotten me any junkmail yet despite the promise of a monthly newsletter) where you can plug in the ingredients on the package and it will generate an estimate of the products total toxicity, with a list of which ingredients are harmful in which ways. I don't think I can link to it but it's near the top of the left menu and say something like "can't find your product?". It's still in beta, but you should seriously try it because it's pretty impressive. I've recently been researching non-comedogenic foundations for olive-tone skin (a frigging impossible task) and when I plugged in the Lancome ones that one of the above articles suggested, only one ingredient was missing from their database, and it was still able to generate estimate scores for the products, excluding that single ingredient.

While I don't really have time to "rally for the global eco(logical/nomic) cause", I would like to be able to find products that work without clogging my pores or poisoning me. And, seeing as this website has been my greatest resource for skincare product information for almost five years now, I wanted to add these findings to this database as well. Someone else has probably done so, but, as others have mentioned, the "search" feature is not incredibly reliable, and it's important that we keep these types of topics open.

If anyone more versed than I in this area has anything helpful to add (such as the perfect, safe, non-comedogenic, olive-toned foundation for combination acne-prone skin!) PLEASE do.