Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was once on the regimen over a year ago. I loved it. It worked, amazingly. I hate myself for messing it up and adding in a scrub. Don't ask why or what I used by all I know is that I KNOW that's why I broke out and effed up my skin. I never fully went back on the regimen since. Now I'm thinking about getting back on, though, I couldn't stand putting crap on my face during the day. Also, at this time, I don't really have much acne, just clogged pores, damaged skin, and dry skin during the day, and oily skin at night with tons of crap sticking out of my pores, flakes, sebaceaous filaments, etc.

So here's what I plan on doing since it's not so much ACNE that's a problem, just more dry skin and clogged pores. So, PLEASE people and regimen experts, tell me what you think:

Wash in the morning with Dan's Cleanser...that's it, nothing else.

Wash at night with Dan's Cleanser

Then apply BP to little spots (if needed)

Then apply moisturizer all over face like I once did...starting with a little, and then amping up the dosage as I continue.

My reason behind this is that right now all I'm using is Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash and it is drying me out like CRAZY. I don't do much about it, except splash water on my face and drink water to hydrate myself. I HATE using product during the day, like I mentioned, so I avoid that. Then towards the end of the day, my face get's pretty red and flushed looking, and also oily. My red marks come out and look like shit. So I'm guessing, it's because my skin is trying to produce moisture, and over producing, leading to this.

BASICALLY...what I want to know is if hydrating my skin at night will help keep my skin hydrated during the day as well, after I shower so I don't have to worry about flakes and dry skin OR putting anything on my face during the day. Simple as that. Thanks guys, I'd love some support, help, and opinions on this. <3

And what I also would like to add is that...I just want a simple regimen...WASH & HYDRATE. No TREAT in it...so that within the next few months I can start paying for procedures like Microdermabrasion, Lasers, and or Chemical Peels and not have to worry about having to stop using treatment products like BP, BHAs or AHAs...so you see my point.

Edited by Joey T

The only way I can see not moisturizing your face in the morning as being okay is if you avoid washing your face with anything more than maybe cool water and keep your shower water from getting too hot. I used to do this and always felt fine during the day, but if I ever use a cleanser in the morning without moisturizing afterward my face does just what you described yours does. All of my moisture was stripped in the morning and my skin overcompensated for that. Splashing your face with water during the day to combat the dryness isn't going to help much... it will just further dry and irritate your skin.

If you feel like you have to wash your face in the morning, you may want to put up with a little annoyance and use a light, water-based moisturizer. CeraVe soaks in like THAT and doesn't leave anything behind at all, given you don't use a whole lot of it, which you won't need since you won't have any BP on your face.

Purpose "gentle" cleanser is drying you out because it contains high levels of sulfates, which are detergents and are both irritants and comedogens.

In the morning, instead of not using a moisturizer, why not use something light like the AHA+? This will help add moisture to your skin (else your skin will probably become more oily throughout the day or remain very dry) as well has help remove dead skin and keep your pores clear.

With your BP application, are you saying you would only apply the BP to blemishes or in small amounts? If you clarify that, we might be able to help more.

If you're having dryness problems with the regimen, you might want to consider a different moisturizer, like CeraVe, which I swear by. It's extremely light and not greasy at all, and yet very moisturizing, and helps reduce flakes.

:]

If your going to go back on the Regimen, I would suggest that you go back to the 2-a-day routine. At the very least, use a moisturizer in the morning as well. Dan's new moisturizer doesn't go on oily at all, and with a little bit of jojoba oil it moisturizes beyond belief (many people claim that the first moisturizer was better, but I honestly think that it didn't absorb into the skin enough, it just covered up the flakes with an oily residue). Combine that with some AHA every once in awhile and that should take care of your dry skin. Honestly I think the biggest problem you may have is lack of routine. Frustration is something I deal with as well, but don't let it get the best of you. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the help guys. I want to just apply the BP to any little pimples or spots I see, not going to spread it all over my face.