Accutane  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Accutane yes or no?

• Yes
    • No
    • Talk to your Dr.
    • ABSOLUTELY NOT!
    • 100% YES!!

So this Friday I go to the dr. to get prescribed to accutane! I'm excited for the final product because I've heard good things but I've also heard horrible things. I'm seriously sick and tired of my acne. It's underneath the skin and it's painful! I'm tired of having my oily skin too! Do any of you have any ideas of what I should do while being on accutane because I hear it dries you out so badly!! I'm nervous but I know that it's what I have to do to eventually get perfect skin for the rest of my life.

Sincerely,

Hopeless :snooty:

Hi and welcome to the boards! Getting started on acne.org is one helpful link. Thanks for joining our community; I think you'll find it very informative and in general welcoming. :)

And moved to Accutane posts where no doubt you'll receive more replies!

You seem to be in a dilemma. I'm not going to tell you whether or not you should take Accutane, but I am going to give you some advice.

The problem you're having isn't a skin condition, it's how you perceive it. What do I mean by that? Skin conditions aren't necessarily going to affect your life in a big way, but the way you think about it will. If you're holding back from doing certain things, then the problem isn't the acne, it's the way you're thinking about it. Acne is one of the most minor conditions, yet some people let it affect their lives more then it should. You're still able to think, walk, talk, function normally, it's just that you might be letting it consume your thoughts. It would be just as good if you simply forgot about your skin, and you didn't think about it, rather then curing it.

I'm guessing you're a teen. Acne is completely normal at that age, and it will most likely cure as you get older. I believe beauty is being more and more reformed by mass media, that anything out of the ordinary seems ugly. More and more we're becoming slaves to our thoughts of what looks good.

Whether you chose to take the risk of Accutane or not, I suggest you first see if you can live your life normally, by not thinking about your skin.

Good luck,

Ryan

Edited by iRyRy

Hey don't be scared! Omg I'm on my 5th week of accutane and believe me I was so worried at first! But if you think like me (stress causes more acne) then DON'T be worried about accutane! It's done wonders for me so far and I'm only into week 5. I'm on 40 mg but I hope my doctor will prescribe a higher dosage so it goes away for a long time =D

My lips on 40mg are actually not that dry at all.... Unless 40 mg is too weak of a dosage for me; like the lips are dry but it's not like 'OMG NEED CHAPSTICK NOW, LIPS SO DRY!!', lmao. But for my dry lips I use Burt's Bees lip stick and it's AMAZING; it never leaves my baby dry!

& my skin is really flaky and dry but I honestly don't know what to do.. I've tried the cetaphil moisturizer and it's done nothing for me; I've also tried Aveeno, Lubriderm & Vaseline aloe fresh hydrating lotion but nothing seems to work :(

I'm going to see my doctor on monday to see if I can get any creams that are good and if I find one I will definately let you know.

yea its not that i let the acne control my life because i still go out and have a good time and don't think about my face. but i have cystic (sp?) acne and it's painful. That's why i can't take it anymore is because I'm in pain and thats why I want it to be cured!

But yea if you find out from your dr. what kind of lotion or moisturizer to use that would be so helpful!:) thanks for all your comments!!

oh I forgot to mention :P that my skin is sort of a dry to oily-ish skin. like my cheeks are dry but my T zone is somewhat oily. When I was my face I use cetaphil face wash omg believe me it is SO gentle on the face it's amazing. & I also learned that you're not suppost to wash your face for over 10 seconds haha thanks to this forum. If you're not using that facewash now try it!

that's what I read from this website hehe but I usually do it for ten - 25 seconds and make sure that you're gentle with your skin! and also same with your moisturizer if it burns/stings your skin then you shouldn't be using it. like a little burn is okay maybe your skin isn't used to it (if it's that case then try it for a day or two and if it still stings then don't use it because it shouldn't burn what so ever).

DEFINATELY, do not use any tool to exfoliate your skin believe me! I used those exfoliating sponges and it hurt so bad :'(

p.s. while you're on accutane your skin is very sensitive, if something irriates it listen to it, don't ignore it like me haha

moisturizer - I'll get back to you :)

chapstick - I use Burt's Bees chapstick and it's awesome but I've heard that some people use aquaphor or something, whatever is best for you!

facewash- definately cetaphil

I don't use a toner but I think you can. Try to get a toner without alcohol, I think it alcohol causes the skin to dry out (p.s. I read that somewhere) D:

thank you so much! i really appreciate it! I don't use a toner but i just wanted to make sure I wasnt supposed to or something. I'm getting reallllly excited because I start Accutane in 19days! I know its gunna suck for like 3months but whats 3months of torture for a lifetime of clearskin!:)

no problem :) if you ever have a question feel free to ask me. I never really had anyone to ask while I was (still am) on accutane so its just my way of giving back and hopefully you'll help someone, one day haha.

I also heard you can only take a specific amount of accutane something so that it matches your body weight? I'm not sure lul, I'm tired of being on 40mg because it's now week 7 and I'm not seeing anymore changes but I only weight about 110 >_< so if it's true about accutane matching your body weight, I wonder if that means I can't go on a higher dosage :(!!

oh I am dry and peely but like sometimes the dryness kills but overall it just feels like I feel like I could go on a higher dosage D: but I'm worried about it lul

LMAO, don't be worried! you will be JUST FINE!! I'm on week 8 but I hope 40mg a day will be okay! :)

Edited by Johnny.