Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TurnForTheBest

SkinLaboratory Salicylic Acid peel worked!!

I wanted to share my success story with I have been on the Acne.org regime for severe back acne (BP + AHA lotion) for 6 months with virtually no improvement. I've always felt that BP has minimal results on my skin and this was my last attempt to strictly follow a BP regime. About a year ago I had the worst breakout (severe on shoulders, back of neck, back) that I can remember and have been battling it since.

I recently looked into SA and decided to go with the chemical peel from SkinLaboratory. I wanted something stronger than a cleanser or spot treatment and my skin is able to handle about anything by now. I used as directed on my entire back, shoulders and forehead (only minor problems there) about three times a week and after two weeks most of the deep nodules and cysts had been uncovered and drained. After another week I have virtually no active inflamed spots, and the peel is helping with red spots and scars as well as preventing new breakouts.

I've concluded that my skin problems are likely caused by problematic shedding of cells inside the pores more so than the bacterial infection side of things, since SA is more of a kertolytic. I'm REALLY pleased with the results and would highly recommend trying this out.

There are plenty of reviews for the Salicylic Acid peel on the company's website and Amazon.com, so I wont get too drawn out and specific. I was able to apply BP also (only a couple times as an experiment) right after the SA peel without irritation and it absorbed better than ever this way, so you could try to use both or ween off of it. I think I'll apply the BP once a week or so until I run out, but I don't think I even need it at all.

This SA peel has given me some much needed hope.

Has anyone else tried this yet? I'm still having amazing results. I have maybe 3 actives at a time on my shoulders and back, that dont last long (think my skin is still purging). Before this treatment I couldn't count how many, 50+ maybe at a time for about a year straight. Now my main concern is red spots and scars... only time will tell!

Im going to finish the rest of the first bottle of SA that I purchased (only about half gone, this stuff goes a LONG way) and then move on to a stronger peel.

hey! congrats on your success!

can you tell us about any side effects you've had?

i'm so happy you've found this. i think a lot of body acne problems have to do more with shedding skin or trapped bacteria and oils under material (like clothing), rather than just the overproduction of oil on the face

my back is mostly clear from dan's regimen, but i'd love to try this peel to help keep it really clear, help with red spots, and reduce my need for the regimen

by the way, you are a new member-

have you been looking on the boards for a while?

or are you jsut trying to sell this stuff?

why skinlaboratory and not any sa peel?

Edited by jokerj

hey! congrats on your success!

can you tell us about any side effects you've had?

i'm so happy you've found this. i think a lot of body acne problems have to do more with shedding skin or trapped bacteria and oils under material (like clothing), rather than just the overproduction of oil on the face

my back is mostly clear from dan's regimen, but i'd love to try this peel to help keep it really clear, help with red spots, and reduce my need for the regimen

by the way, you are a new member-

have you been looking on the boards for a while?

or are you jsut trying to sell this stuff?

why skinlaboratory and not any sa peel?

Side effects are just stinging and redness shortly after the first few uses. Nothing too uncomfortable. It has really changed the feel of my skin for the better. I am down to about 3 actives at a time on my whole body. All winter, spring and summer of 2010 I had 50 or so at various stages going on at any given time. This was while using BP and AHA lotion twice a day.

My skin is so used to the 20% SA peel now that I actually mix about 5 drops into a dap of jojoba oil and apply that in the morning under a moisturizer and leave it on until the evening. I definitely wouldn't try this though until you have used the product as directed for a month or so.

I think that using a mild to moderate peel like this one one a week would be a great compliment to the DK regimen if you are having success with that. Some people say using BP and SA together is too irritating but I hasn't been problematic for me when I've trying it.

Yeah, Ive been reading the boards on and off for about three years, but I never felt like I had something substantial to contribute until now. I recommended the Skin Laboratory site because they seem to offer the best product at the best price. They have great customer reviews as well.

I just received a much stronger peel from them, so looking forward to trying it out to help with hyperpigmentaion, spots, scars. ect.

my plan is to start doing this every one to two weeks, skipping the summers because of my proclivity for sunburns

do you think one could become dependent on peels?

ie. could one's skin get used to regular peels and shed its layers on its own less because of them, so that stopping would make the skin worse than before?

any thoughts, anyone?

also, if i mixed the peel with dan's moisturizer at a 1:1 ratio, would i get a 10% peel, or does it not quite work that way?

I just got a 20% done on saturday. I've prob gotten around 6 peels so far in the last year in half. They are amazing!

i'm glad they are working so well for you, lipslikesugar!

did you get an ib?

i'm assuming that, when you say you got it done, you had it professionally applied?

*laughing* yes. hehhe. If I didn't get extractions before I'm sure I would have an IB every time. The acid brings everything to a head. So no I never have gotten an IB. If I get extractions before hand, it speeds up the healing processes.

hmmm... i worry that, because i cna't really get full extractions on my back, i'll just be bringing up a bunch of gunk

do you think one could become dependent on peels?

ie. could one's skin get used to regular peels and shed its layers on its own less because of them, so that stopping would make the skin worse than before?

any thoughts, anyone?

I haven't heard of anything like that happening. Seems like there would be negative feedback available about such effects if it were a possible problem.

also, if i mixed the peel with dan's moisturizer at a 1:1 ratio, would i get a 10% peel, or does it not quite work that way?

I dunno. I would only use as directed for at least a month or so before you experiment. I have mixed the 20% SA peel half and half with Jojoba oil as a topical and that seems to prevent comedones for me on upper arms and shoulders. It can be drying though so I put Cetaphil moisturizer over that. I'm not sure if this is really a good idea yet. Id like to simplify, so if it proves to be unnecessary I'll knock it off!

you mentioned purging

is there an ib?

No, I did not experience an initial breakout in the sense that my skin got worse before better. It started to feel and look better immediately. It does free up the existing gunk though. I think it is more the texture of the skin changes which allows the clogs to come out without as much trauma/infection you might otherwise experience. SA is also oil soluble which is a powerful and unique aspect. It penetrates into the pores and dissolves the gunk unlike most other treatments.

I wouldn't hesitate because you cant extract efficiently. The stuff should eventually come up and out on its own even if you don't help it along.

I tried the HQ+ peel which is much stronger than the 20%. So far so good! Two peels have helped hyper pigmentation noticeably. Looking forward to continued success! Think I'll do the HQ+ once a week and the SA once a week with 2-4 days in between each and see how that goes.

As a reminder, don't underestimate the strength of the peels the first couple of times. They should be pretty uncomfortable, but your skin will adapt quickly. Good luck!

thanks so much for the info!

i've already ordered the stuff, but i'm still worried i'll purge because i have so much gross gunk trapped in there

i don't want it to be coming up and out around the holiday season with so many parties and events to attend!

keep us updated on your success, and kudos, turnforthbest!

i'm also thinking about trying it professionally the first time, just to make sure it's done right and i know what i'm getting into, and then going for it on my own

what do you all think?

I think thats a very smart idea. Get it professionally done. See how your skin reacts and watch everything they do. Remember we're dealing with skin here. Yes it has healing properties of its own but you don't want to create more damage... ;)

I think thats a very smart idea. Get it professionally done. See how your skin reacts and watch everything they do. Remember we're dealing with skin here. Yes it has healing properties of its own but you don't want to create more damage... ;)

i think "don't create more damage" should be the acne.org creed! haha

speaking of not creating more damage, i was looking at the listed ingredients in the skin laboratory peel

it seems there's quite a bit of denatured alcohol, which can be a potent skin irritant (http://www.cosmeticscop.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/462/denatured-alcohol.aspx)

obviously, peels irritate, but does all this denatured alcohol unnecessarily irritate the skin?

what are you guys' thoughts on this?

some info on denatured alcohol:

http://www.skincare-news.com/a-2628-Alcoho..._Your_Skin.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredien...ingred06=700215

Volatile alcohols period are a bad idea for skin, denatured or not. Not only are they irritating, but they inhibit collagen production, especially over time - damage that you can't see immediately. But peels are usually applied so infrequently that it doesn't make a difference (or that's the idea, at least). The alcohol is a convenient solvent, but its also a great way force the actives to penetrate... the only practical alternative is a glycol - like propylene glycol, but its a bit more expensive. I have yet to find a pre-made peel that doesn't have alcohol as a main ingredient :( I think its just a necessary evil.

Edited by greentiger87

Volatile alcohols period are a bad idea for skin, denatured or not. Not only are they irritating, but they inhibit collagen production, especially over time - damage that you can't see immediately. But peels are usually applied so infrequently that it doesn't make a difference (or that's the idea, at least). The alcohol is a convenient solvent, but its also a great way force the actives to penetrate... the only practical alternative is a glycol - like propylene glycol, but its a bit more expensive. I have yet to find a pre-made peel that doesn't have alcohol as a main ingredient :( I think its just a necessary evil.

thansk, greentiger! we can always count on you for the scientific side of acne.org!