Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's my success story :)

I've had moderate acne starting in 7th grade. I lived off cereals, processed snacks, and sandwiches. Although overweight before 7th grade, I was normal weight with no muscle mass. If I ever went without BP wash and Benzaclin for more than 6 hours, my face would turn into a mess. Going to the dermatologist (supposedly the best in the area) was an absurd ritual with no end in sight. Every visit was : "you look red and inflamed here", so heres a refill for your creams, and Accutane might be a good idea, wait, no, you have anxiety disorder don't you? This went on for 6 years. Along the way I was given Doxycycline which gave me gram-negative junk, and Ciprofloxacin for 2 weeks, which didn't help, but instead has really messed with my head. If I went a day without creams, I would get huge nasty cysts. In short, totally unnecessary hell, given what I've recently learned and experienced.

I got serious in college, and after reading a lot, it became evident that the my diet sucks. The key to my progress was learning high glycemic load foods are BAD. After 11 months of experimentation here's what definitely works for me:

- no processed food, 5 small, low glycemic meals a day

For every meal:

- 1-2 cups mostly green and non-starchy vegetables

- <16 Glycemic Load of starch! (black beans, brown rice, yams, barley, steel cut oats)

- a deck of cards of reasonably lean protein (eggs, <3oz meat, tofu, sprouts, sardines, salmon)

- if fat is needed, a few teaspoons of healthy oil or nuts (olive, canola, and sesame oil, nuts)

- some combination of sea salt, vinegar, seaweed, and inflammation reducing spices

- supplements: probiotics, calcium+vitamin D3, Fish Oil

I can now go days without even washing my face with water, and my face doesn't get oily.

The only thing fueling whatever acne I have left is the gram-negative Klebsiella bacteria, stress, and whenever I don't exercise. I always worry now about what my years of terrible eating has done to my body.

Any similar experiences, suggestions for even more improvement?

It's great to hear you found a diet that has helped with your acne! It must feel nice to treat your body with the respect and care it deserves! I have experienced similiar circumstances and I was raised on a very processed diet. We've come a long way, huh? :)

I have a couple questions:

How often do you exercise? How many calories do you intake daily? What about fruits?

Right now, I am on an anti inflammatory diet. On a daily basis, I eat a select group of fruits, veggies, protein and flaxseed bread. I choose only fruits that are not inflammatory. I eat grassfed meat. I do not eat dairy or wheat. I take a multivitamin. And I feel so much better!

steeler:

I'm focusing on improving muscle mass as of now, because I read that weight training improves blood sugar control more than aerobic exercise, and its blood sugar control I'm after with acne. Every day I try to do a couple more pushups situps, and legups than the last. I also try to get in a couple hundred jumping jacks during the day, especially if I'm being sedentary.

I love fruits also, and I eat them a lot. Especially apples and oranges, but I treat fruit as a meal in itself, and because of the glycemic load of most fruits, I never combine them with grains. And yeah, flaxseed is amazing.

I eat around 2000 calories a day. My BMI = 20. I unintentionally lost around 20 pounds with my new diet. I guess I differ from you in that I actually feel worse with my new diet emotionally, very fatigued. I'm not sure why yet. I am getting all my required nutrients. You give me some hope that I'll feel better eventually. How long have you been on your diet?

How long have you been following your new diet for?

Its pretty much the same as me now, so im just hoping time will pass and the results will come!

steeler:

I'm focusing on improving muscle mass as of now, because I read that weight training improves blood sugar control more than aerobic exercise, and its blood sugar control I'm after with acne. Every day I try to do a couple more pushups situps, and legups than the last. I also try to get in a couple hundred jumping jacks during the day, especially if I'm being sedentary.

I love fruits also, and I eat them a lot. Especially apples and oranges, but I treat fruit as a meal in itself, and because of the glycemic load of most fruits, I never combine them with grains. And yeah, flaxseed is amazing.

I eat around 2000 calories a day. My BMI = 20. I unintentionally lost around 20 pounds with my new diet. I guess I differ from you in that I actually feel worse with my new diet emotionally, very fatigued. I'm not sure why yet. I am getting all my required nutrients. You give me some hope that I'll feel better eventually. How long have you been on your diet?

I am glad I give you some hope! :) Are you getting enough healthy fats? I have olive oil each day and each week, larabars, which have pecans and almonds.

Have you tried grassfed beef? Tonight, I am making low glycemic pasta with local, organic tomatoes and grassfed beef. It seems to really help with my acne.

I've been on my diet for 3 weeks now. :)

Have you tried grassfed beef?

I love grassfed meat! I haven't tried grassfed beef though.

I would be careful with Lara Bars if you are particularly sensitive. The glycemic load of dried dates is about twice as high as the load for white rice. The glycemic load is just the glycemic index adjusted for portion size, so it's better to use.

really handy/reputable resource here:

www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

I'm so happy for you! :D

Do you find that you break out if you go off this diet?

The times I've messed up and drank milk, I got really bad breakouts. Not so much oiliness, but breakouts for some reason. So I was really strict with no milk after that.

The other few times I've messed up were by accident. Like, sugar in chicken broth, and corn syrup in deli meats :wall: My face seems to get oiler those times, but I wash my face before damage is done.

Congrats for your success :) Just some small stuff that may be worth considering; I would lay off the grains 100%, here is a good article explaining all the bad stuffs with grains: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

I would also switch out the oils you use to coconut oil, not that your oils are that bad (they do have some omega 6 content which if in to much quantity is very inflamation) just that coconut oil is so good; Superlow amount of omega 6, super high in lauric acid which is a very potent anti viral, antibacterial and antioxidant. Made of medium chain fatty acid which instead of getting stored as fat as other oils instead gets used by the body immediatly for energy.

Calcium supplement might also be a problem, most people are very magnesium defficient and then a calcium supplement on top of that just make it worse, I would try to track your daily foods in http://fitday.com/ or any similar food tracking sites to see how your vitamin/mineral intake is.

Other then this it looks really good, and by all means, if it works it works but its always room for improvement in life :) Best of continious luck.