Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
annang

Cold sores & skin picking / stopping NOW!

Hi,

I just found this board after googling "how to break a bad habit" and stumbling across the name "skin picking"... had never heard it before and it is definitely my problem. I'm more of a mirror picker, like my mom; my sister is more of a bored/nonmirror picker.

So the reason I really, really have to stop doing this is that I keep giving myself cold sores. When I was younger I used to have them in this dimple on my chin all the time. I never thought they were cold sores because they weren't on my lips, but they were-- finally realized this at age 22, thank god I never got them anywhere except my face if you know what I mean, that stuff is DANGEROUS and yes you can give it to yourself! Since then I've also had cold sores on my lips, nose, and forehead. The forehead ones I think were mainly caused by picking. The first time I thought it was cat scratch fever because I'd been playing with an unvaccinated kitten prior to it appearing, but no, it was a cold sore, eventually figured that out at age 27 (?).

Right now I have a gigantic cold sore on my forehead, actually covered it up with a bandaid today because it was just so gross. Of course as you might expect the bandaid got even more attention.

So I really have to stop. Now. I don't want to stop, my skin is really not that bad overall, but I can't just keep playing roulette with giving myself cold sores, they are too awful and disgusting. Even though I in no way feel like stopping, I just can't live with the knowledge that I did this to myself, I could have totally avoided it, and here I am looking disfigured and horrible from my own doing.

Which is to say, hello, I guess... and have any of you had problems with cold sores?

hey there i dont have problems with cold sores , but i am a skin picker. . So i reckon we both want to stop. anyway i hav stoped picking fro several days or weeks before, but i always mess up,, i try fixing somethinh ,even a blackhead and then i get totally caried away. i'm starting 2morrow , day 1 of no picking- would u like to join me?

Hi,

I just found this board after googling "how to break a bad habit" and stumbling across the name "skin picking"... had never heard it before and it is definitely my problem. I'm more of a mirror picker, like my mom; my sister is more of a bored/nonmirror picker.

So the reason I really, really have to stop doing this is that I keep giving myself cold sores. When I was younger I used to have them in this dimple on my chin all the time. I never thought they were cold sores because they weren't on my lips, but they were-- finally realized this at age 22, thank god I never got them anywhere except my face if you know what I mean, that stuff is DANGEROUS and yes you can give it to yourself! Since then I've also had cold sores on my lips, nose, and forehead. The forehead ones I think were mainly caused by picking. The first time I thought it was cat scratch fever because I'd been playing with an unvaccinated kitten prior to it appearing, but no, it was a cold sore, eventually figured that out at age 27 (?).

Right now I have a gigantic cold sore on my forehead, actually covered it up with a bandaid today because it was just so gross. Of course as you might expect the bandaid got even more attention.

So I really have to stop. Now. I don't want to stop, my skin is really not that bad overall, but I can't just keep playing roulette with giving myself cold sores, they are too awful and disgusting. Even though I in no way feel like stopping, I just can't live with the knowledge that I did this to myself, I could have totally avoided it, and here I am looking disfigured and horrible from my own doing.

Which is to say, hello, I guess... and have any of you had problems with cold sores?