Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XC60

Folliculitis problems?

I've suffered from shaving problems from the time I started shaving during puberty up until now. It seems as though most acne sufferers have this problem as well, and even set up a special sub-forum for this particular issue. I've always read that folliculitis seems to be related to people who have had long-term antibiotic use. This has been correlated to having a Gram Negative Bacteria problem, I've never really fully understood what this meant up until now! If you take antibiotics for a long time, it destroys your gut flora, which creates a yeast overgrowth, which in turn creates Gram Negative Bacteria, that will not be able to fight off. Your digestive tract makes up a huge part of your immune system. I went on a shaving hiatus for about a month and a half (I only used a trimmer), I just got fed up with the irritation, shaving bumps, and ingrown hairs...THEY WERE BAD! About a month ago, I dropped the Minocycline I was taking, and started myself on probiotics instead, I stuck with the trimmer until I felt all existing bumps were healed. I finally pulled out the old Norelco 7110X a couple of weeks ago. DAMN, lo and behold, I hope I have finally solved this nasty and emabarrassing problem. I am now shaving comfortably daily with no drama or bumps. I have a couple of ingrowns that are just starting to heal up from about 2 months ago (I'm not kidding), this is how bad and painful (!) they were. I will admit, I am scared to death to go back to the wet shaving method, I'll stick with what I consider "safe" for now!

Edited by CoolGuy68

So you're saying that probiotics basically killed off the acne, bumps AND ingrowns? Could you provide a bit more info as I'm a bit confused lol. :rolleyes:

You know what, I'm just trying to share some information on some research I've been doing. I've had bad shaving problems for about 27 years now, and by coincidence I've been on/off of antibiotics for about 30 years now. You have the option to go to some quack dermotologist, and see what they can do about your shaving issues, or you have the option to be proactive, and try a different, more holistic approach. Just in the couple last weeks, I've been able to shave more comfortably than ever before! I don't think that this happens to by some coincidence, I've made some major dietary changes, started taking probiotics, and added some Zinc into my regimen. I'm just hoping I'm onto something here, and just sharing my findings. Look through the forum, and look at all the posters on here megadosing on supplements, is it actually helping them...probably not! No matter what kind of supplement your taking/megadosing, it's probably not going to work, unless you can actually absorb them. I'm not talking about go to Walmart, CVS or Target, and taking some half-assed probiotic off the shelf, it's not going to help. I think I've explained myself and my theory pretty well in the 1st post...GOOD LUCK!

I just started taking Florajen 3 at the end of October, they contain 15 Billion CFU's with 3 different strains. The bottle says to take 1 per day, I started off with 2 per day. I just cut it back it the normal 1 per day. If you go this route, you will have stomach cramping, and some loose, watery bowels, and then expect some constipation. This isn't too pleasant an experience, but I read that this is all normal, and part of the process. I'm not saying that these probiotics will cure your acne or folliculitis, but most likely will help fight off this Gram Negative Bacteria that could be the root of these problems, normalize your gut flora, and regulate your bowels (mine finally are!) Now, I hope I've clarified what I meant. I'm glad at least one person has taken interest in my theory. Thanks, Matt! If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them, and update my progress. I'm just happy to know that I might be on to something here...finally, without the "help" of some "crackpot" derm :rolleyes:

Im having the folliculitis/acne problem atm so this topic applies to me as well. Antibiotics cleared my moderate acne about a year and a half ago. I went from oxytetracycline, to erythromine, and then to doxy (changed antibiotics when my skin got a bit worse). About a month ago I started getting these small whiteheads around my beard area which I thought could be a type of folliculitis. I got prescribed Lymecycline which was 2 weeks ago and I now seem to be getting more inflamed acne rather than the whiteheads which I hope is just an initial breakout.

In terms of Probiotics, I currently eat Activia yoghurt each day which I 'think' is a probiotic. I have a Superdrug near me so I can probably find probiotic tablets there.

I cannot recommend using yogurt as your probiotic source, being that I'm dairy free, plus yogurt usually has a high sugar content, and no one really knows exactly how much probiotics are in yogurt. If you go to purchase a probiotic, make sure you buy a decent one that is dairy free, and does not contain any milk protein. Definitely stay away Acidophilus Pearls, those are total garbage, and a big waste of money!

I cannot recommend using yogurt as your probiotic source, being that I'm dairy free, plus yogurt usually has a high sugar content, and no one really knows exactly how much probiotics are in yogurt. If you go to purchase a probiotic, make sure you buy a decent one that is dairy free, and does not contain any milk protein. Definitely stay away Acidophilus Pearls, those are total garbage, and a big waste of money!

hi cool guy glad to hear things are going good with your new trial im in the same boat i take a multivitamin with pre and pro biotics in it twice a day every day i do feel it helps but not amazingly. for me the best thing that helps over all is the trimming its the only way to avoid the ongoing shaving problems every time i try to wet shave it bites me sooner rather than later i wish icould do it but for me trimming is better than having all the issues that i have this way i can be mostly bump free but folliculitis is a bitch and nothing seems to work too well i personally feel tee tree oil is good at killing fungus and bacteria i mix it with moistuiser and also water it down for a toner also use a tee tree face wash this has recently been helping a lot take it easy thanks again