Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
selina77

I read adult acne is sometimes caused by underlying medical realted conditions..is this true??

Hi All

I have been doing some reading on acne in adults, im 25 and still have moderate acne, im so upset about it honestly :( its only on my face ( cheek area) but is horrible.

Apparently acne in adults can sometimes be linked to underlying medical conditions...is this true?? its only what ive read and im curious as my doctor has just said i have an abnormality in my thyroid and i wonder if this could be linked to my acne getting worst, considering its linked to hormones!! it actually gets alot worst around the time of the month aswell.

Any info u guy's no will be great :)

This study found no correlation between thyroid problems and acne.

Personally, I suspect the causation runs the other way. I believe an abnormal (well, not so abnormal in civilized society) melatonin cycle is key in acne. Only recently has evidence started to emerge that melatonin is meant to regulate the thyroid to provide seasonal signals.

I won't be surprised if some thyroid problems, like acne, become implicated in the modern abnormal relationship to light and how that affects the melatonin cycle.