Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duchamp

Paleo people: what do you do for snacks?

I need something portable and not too smelly - I usually end up not eating at all or settling for something carb-dense to curb hunger, which of course is no good.

Could you recommend snacks for in between meals?

Large carrots, hard-boiled eggs, bacon (not entirely paleo but seriously, it's BACON), berries, macadamia nuts, shredded coconut with dark chocolate chunks...really though, if you're doing it right you probably won't need many snacks.

No need for snacks, just two big meals.

Problem is I spend about 8 hours locked in a room to do work - I end up having to purchase food from a vending machine if I don't bring it myself. And while paleo meals are definitely satiating (much moreso than bread for me now, thank goodness), I physically can't put away huge meals.

And thank you Pixy & Wynne for the suggestions, they'll keep me from going hungry.

I am not on the Paleo per se but I am gluten free, dairy free and mooostly sugar free

I snack on carrots + hummus (the best is the white bean from trader joes) I'm not sure if hummus is paleo friendly though. I also snack on cashews and almonds.

I eat some plain whole wheat bread, or carrots, cucumbers, apples, sometimes popcorn (no butter or oil)

Bread and pocorn isnt paleo :P

Well that's terrible, lol. Didn't know almonds were considered toxic thanks for the info, but I'll stick by them no doubt. They are great source of vitamins, delicious, and give me no problems. I eat roasted almonds plain.

Gong 8 hours in a day without eating is completely unhealthy. Your bodies metabolism is so slow then because it knows you starve yourself. So any nutrition it gets it grabs and holds on for dear life because they don't know when the hell they are going to see a crumb again. This leads to numerous problems in your body. Small light meals consistently throughout the day, is the way to go.

Didn't know almonds were considered toxic thanks for the info

Only wild almods are toxic. Domesticated almonds obviously are not toxic or you'd probably be dead already :D

Gong 8 hours in a day without eating is completely unhealthy. Your bodies metabolism is so slow then because it knows you starve yourself.

Small light meals consistently throughout the day, is the way to go.

I don't really even get much hungry at the end of the day. And I usually eat quite alot at the morning.

Actually constant grazing is not really natural for humans. There was no constant food supply at paleo times. Intermittent fasting has also shown benefits in studies and many people on this forum including me has seen benefits from it.

Sleeping in a bed in a house isn't natural, having pets isn't natural, going to a hospital for a broken bone isn't natural. Etc. Just because something isn't like it was thousands of years ago does not mean it's not better. Fasting every so often is just fine. But many people find that having a constant blood sugar is far more beneficial than fasting even for eight hours.

Only wild almods are toxic. Domesticated almonds obviously are not toxic or you'd probably be dead already :D

Gong 8 hours in a day without eating is completely unhealthy. Your bodies metabolism is so slow then because it knows you starve yourself.

I don't really even get much hungry at the end of the day. And I usually eat quite alot at the morning.

Actually constant grazing is not really natural for humans. There was no constant food supply at paleo times. Intermittent fasting has also shown benefits in studies and many people on this forum including me has seen benefits from it.

Sleeping in a bed in a house isn't natural, having pets isn't natural, going to a hospital for a broken bone isn't natural. Etc. Just because something isn't like it was thousands of years ago does not mean it's not better. Fasting every so often is just fine. But many people find that having a constant blood sugar is far more beneficial than fasting even for eight hours.

Everyday fasting (around 16 hours) is shown to IMPROVE blood sugar levels and also insulin sensitvity, which will naturally help keep blood sugar stable. Not only that but it increases testosterone, balances hormones and aids fat loss + many other things important to prevent acne.

Everyday fasting (around 16 hours) is shown to IMPROVE blood sugar levels and also insulin sensitvity, which will naturally help keep blood sugar stable. Not only that but it increases testosterone, balances hormones and aids fat loss + many other things important to prevent acne.

Not for me as I'm pre-diabetic. Got to remember those people who have underlying medical conditions. If I went 16 hours without eating my blood sugar would drop to 35 and I'd have severe problems. ;)

So not everything applies to everyone. Remember that. Statements by fiat simply aren't always accurate. And 'natural' doesn't always mean better. That's simply fact.

Edit: And before anyone tries to tell me that my pre-diabetes is my fault: I eat a non-American diet with few carbs, highish protein, and some fruits and lots of veggies. And exercise. Oh yeah, I'm normal weight, too. :P

Edited by Wynne

Wow I hope ill be able to intermediet fast one time O.o Tried it once , I was dieing from cravings. I currently have 5meals a day. (one is in evening actually, just veggies not really sugary) Im going to try to cut this last one. And move towards not eating after 17 till 8...

Sleeping in a bed in a house isn't natural, having pets isn't natural, going to a hospital for a broken bone isn't natural. Etc. Just because something isn't like it was thousands of years ago does not mean it's not better.

Those things can't really be compared to our metabolism. Obviously not every modern thing is bad but our when it comes to food our metabolism is still quite close to what it was in the stone age.

Edit: And before anyone tries to tell me that my pre-diabetes is my fault: I eat a non-American diet with few carbs, highish protein, and some fruits and lots of veggies. And exercise. Oh yeah, I'm normal weight, too. tongue.gif

And you have eaten that way for your whole life? Pre-diabetes or diabetes doesn't really happen randomly except possibly in some extremely rare genetic freak in my opinion :D

My whole life. yes. Shit happens. *shrugs*

Nuts!

I mainly eat almonds, hazel and walnuts. Walnuts are my favorite!

Only problem is I tend to eat a whole bag of nuts in one go because I have a hard time stopping once I started. That's usually above 100 grams of nuts in one go, which I assume is way too much since it always upsets my stomach. But hey, if I have to be addicted to something then better nuts than coke or m&m's, right? :P