Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chikyuu

I need help. I'm a total makeup noob. D:

hi...

I'm kind of a total noob when it comes to makeup, I can only buy drugstore brands because I'm 16, plus there are no makeup stores in my area. I'm alright with eye makeup in terms of knowing technique in how to apply it, but when it comes to face makeup, I have NO CLUE. :| And it seems really impossible in the first place because I'm on the regimen and my skin is constantly flaking :confused:

I tried using concealer (revlon colorstay blemish concealer on redmarks and zits, hard candy glamoflauge on eyes), tinted moisturizer (covergirl aqua smoothers), and blush (rimmel lasting finish) on my face, I guess too soon after doing my face regimen, while it was still red. I just thought if I were ever to have a job or go to real school (since im homeschooled), I'm not going to have 2+ hours to get my face ready in the morning, so I probably can't sit around waiting for my face to calm down after my regimen before putting on makeup.

Anyway, I guess I did a horrible job. :cry: My skin texture was awful, it looked like everything "flesh colored" was flaking off of my red face, and especially around my eyes. I never really felt so ugly before. :cry: And ever since then I've been really depressed since I can't even use makeup to try and fix my face correctly. :cry:

I need help! I have no idea what foundations or concealers to look for, how to apply face makeup, in what order, with what brushes, or anything like that! :wall: I really really suck at it. I've never even WORN liquid foundation before, only powder. and with my dry face? forget it now. :snooty:

I need help D: please...

(Caveat: I'm far from a makeup expert)

Don't despair! :) Check out Youtube for application videos, watch a lot of them. Watch reviews, too.

I know Brandy recommends Almay smart shade, so do other people. I myself like Physican's formula liquid mineral wear foundation. They're both drugstore and both of good price. Physician's formula also has these absolutely neat things called Shimmer Strips that you can use as blusher OR eyeshadow or bronzer or all three!

I've actually kind of avoided Almay and PF just because I've read really mediocre reviews on both of them. And I do watch a lot of makeup videos, perhaps I need to invest in some actual brushes too and not use my (clean) fingers to apply all of my face makeup.

I've actually kind of avoided Almay and PF just because I've read really mediocre reviews on both of them. And I do watch a lot of makeup videos, perhaps I need to invest in some actual brushes too and not use my (clean) fingers to apply all of my face makeup.

Oh goodness, yes. Brushes help. I like PF...ok, I love it. :P

Oh goodness, yes. Brushes help. I like PF...ok, I love it. :P

Not to mention I don't even know what shade or what coloring (warm or cool toned) i am either.... After hanging out on makeup forums that think acne is like leprosy :rolleyes: turns out this is really important.

The highest rated concealer and foundation I've found is the Almay Clear Complexion Blemish Healing Makeup, Skin-Smoothing Foundation with Kinetin SPF 15, and Clear Complexion Blemish Healing Spot Concealer. These actually have decently high ratings for drugstore makeup.

Is it safe to say almost all of Physician's formula products are safe for acne skin?

Edited by Chikyuu

Do I really need to set my foundation and concealer with a translucent powder if my skin is really dry?

Hrm. Don't know! My skin is really oily so I need to set my liquid makeup.

The PF is non-comedogenic. The ingredients seem pretty decent, too (I've only looked at the shimmer strips and liquid mineral foundation ingredients recently, none of the others).

Do I really need to set my foundation and concealer with a translucent powder if my skin is really dry?

It depends. Most people say you should. But, if you find that your skin is super dry, using the powder on top can sometimes make the dryness more noticeable.

Getting good with make up does take practice and finding what products and technique works best for you.

Regarding skin tone... best way to figure it out, is look at your veins on your arms - if the veins have a blue tinge to it, then you are cool toned, if the veins look more green, then it's likely that you are warm toned. But that's just over simplifying it!

If you are considering using a liquid or cream based foundation/concealer, the best way to check if you have the right colour is to swipe it on your jaw line. Then go out in natural light (store lights will always look good indoors but when you go out you'll see that the colour is all wrong!). The swipe of foundation/conceler should be invisible on your skin - then you know you have the right shade.

There are different ways to apply foundations, it depends on the consistency. For some liquids, I would use a stippling brush (like the mac 187 - you can get a cheaper, but near same quality one from sigma makeup online). Others, I've used the 109 MAC brush. Sometimes, i even use my fingers :shifty: but it really does depend on the consistency and how quick the product will dry when your trying to blend it in. Some people use sponges - i personally am not a fan. but that's because i find that they dont provide enough coverage that I would like....

I'm not sure if i've helped or confused you more...

It depends. Most people say you should. But, if you find that your skin is super dry, using the powder on top can sometimes make the dryness more noticeable.

Getting good with make up does take practice and finding what products and technique works best for you.

Regarding skin tone... best way to figure it out, is look at your veins on your arms - if the veins have a blue tinge to it, then you are cool toned, if the veins look more green, then it's likely that you are warm toned. But that's just over simplifying it!

If you are considering using a liquid or cream based foundation/concealer, the best way to check if you have the right colour is to swipe it on your jaw line. Then go out in natural light (store lights will always look good indoors but when you go out you'll see that the colour is all wrong!). The swipe of foundation/conceler should be invisible on your skin - then you know you have the right shade.

There are different ways to apply foundations, it depends on the consistency. For some liquids, I would use a stippling brush (like the mac 187 - you can get a cheaper, but near same quality one from sigma makeup online). Others, I've used the 109 MAC brush. Sometimes, i even use my fingers :shifty: but it really does depend on the consistency and how quick the product will dry when your trying to blend it in. Some people use sponges - i personally am not a fan. but that's because i find that they dont provide enough coverage that I would like....

I'm not sure if i've helped or confused you more...

I can only afford drugstore brands. So I can't TEST the makeup in the store. :doubt:

^not usually, at least not here in Texas, unless it's a new product. Then they sometimes have things for a little while.

Do they any ulta's or anything near you? If not, Revlon Colorstay is totally non-comedogenic, and not just on the label, it really is. It also comes in many shades and the coverage is superb. Revlon has a spa concealer in a gold tube that I just can't live without (and this is coming from a high-end junkie!).

HTH!!

lol Wynne - you really DO love those shimmer strips, I've definitely seen you post about them a few times before! They are great though :nod: I, too am a big fan of PF - particularly the mineral wear line.

Chikyuu, how is the return policy at your local drugstore? I live in MA and all of the drugstores (CVS, RiteAid, Walgreens, etc) all allow you to return makeup, as long as it's within 30 days and it's not y'know, ALL gone. That way you can try a couple of brands/shades and return what you don't like.

One PF product I love for redness is the Mineral Wear Correcting Powder. It's a blend of green, pink and yellow powders that really help even out discoloration. I put my makeup over that and it looks pretty good =] Here's the link - Physician's Formula they also have the same thing but in liquid form if you think that might be better for your flakiness.

Also... are you doing anything to exfoliate? For me the only way to avoid the flakes was to get rid of them the best I could. Gentle massage with salt water or jojoba oil always worked really well for me.

Hello, my name is Wynne and I'm a PF Shimmer Strips addict and no, I don't want to change that. :P

Do they any ulta's or anything near you?

Nope... Not for a good... 60 or 70 miles.

Chikyuu, how is the return policy at your local drugstore? I live in MA and all of the drugstores (CVS, RiteAid, Walgreens, etc) all allow you to return makeup, as long as it's within 30 days and it's not y'know, ALL gone. That way you can try a couple of brands/shades and return what you don't like.

Also... are you doing anything to exfoliate? For me the only way to avoid the flakes was to get rid of them the best I could. Gentle massage with salt water or jojoba oil always worked really well for me.

I actually get most of my makeup from walmart at the same time grocery shopping is being done so we can all get it done in one store... I'm not one to ask to be dropped off by my parents at a separate store unless it's for something store exclusive like Essence of Beauty Brushes at CVS or something. I know Walmart has a pretty good return policy, my Mom has actually exchanged used mascaras for different brands there before.

And no, I'm not exfoliating right now because I'm on the regimen and it's all anti-rubbing... I've tried AHA+ before and after a month of use it still burned like hell fire, so I gave up on it.

Makeup looks best on an exfoliated face...I don't think there is really any way around it.

If your face is dry and flaky, no foundation will look smooth and nice on it.

In terms of skin tone,it's a hassle. People say to look at the veins in your arms,but I have blue,green, AND purple veins in them. I basically just had to test different colors for myself. Turns out I have yellow in my skin,but I'm so pale I didn't even realize.

If you use a liquid foundation,I'd rather you use cosmetic wedge sponges.Just be sure you dispose of them after a few uses and washes.They're not easy to clean. I honestly think it's pretty weird when people use brushes for liquid foundation. Use swiping motions for sheer coverage,and dabbing motions for fuller coverage.

Start in a middle sections and work the foundation outward. For example,start with the middle of your cheek and blend out...start with the middle of your forehead and blend out...etc.

Setting powder usually makes it more natural looking,and you only need a little.

Concealers are a waste in my opinion. Especially the green ones.

The best liquid foundation I've used is Loreal Trumatch. I used to set it with almay loose powder,though.

I like mineral foundation a heck of lot better. I can glob it on half-assed and it always looks great.

With eye makeup I really recommend Too Faced Shadow Insurance and a wide array of brushes.Liner brushes,two different sizes of crease brushes,a flat brush,and blender brushes. You really can't dress up your eyes with those sponge things that come with the shadows. I don't even know why they put those pieces of junk in there.

Makeup looks best on an exfoliated face...I don't think there is really any way around it.

If your face is dry and flaky, no foundation will look smooth and nice on it.

In terms of skin tone,it's a hassle. People say to look at the veins in your arms,but I have blue,green, AND purple veins in them. I basically just had to test different colors for myself. Turns out I have yellow in my skin,but I'm so pale I didn't even realize.

If you use a liquid foundation,I'd rather you use cosmetic wedge sponges.Just be sure you dispose of them after a few uses and washes.They're not easy to clean. I honestly think it's pretty weird when people use brushes for liquid foundation. Use swiping motions for sheer coverage,and dabbing motions for fuller coverage.

Start in a middle sections and work the foundation outward. For example,start with the middle of your cheek and blend out...start with the middle of your forehead and blend out...etc.

Setting powder usually makes it more natural looking,and you only need a little.

Concealers are a waste in my opinion. Especially the green ones.

The best liquid foundation I've used is Loreal Trumatch. I used to set it with almay loose powder,though.

I like mineral foundation a heck of lot better. I can glob it on half-assed and it always looks great.

With eye makeup I really recommend Too Faced Shadow Insurance and a wide array of brushes.Liner brushes,two different sizes of crease brushes,a flat brush,and blender brushes. You really can't dress up your eyes with those sponge things that come with the shadows. I don't even know why they put those pieces of junk in there.

Thanks. I do have a few cheap brushes, but primer is way expensive =/

I'm not the best to suggest products, but seriously, WATCH YOUTUBE VIDEOS! They are the best thing I've ever discovered, seriously. I've learned how to do anything and everything when it comes to makeup :)

Yes Walmart will let you return anything it seems! Have you decided on any makeup to try?

I just want to really stress exfoliation again.... I never used to like to do it either, especially when I tried the DKR because my skin was so irritated. If you can reeeally gently massage your skin though with just some jojoba oil on your fingertips, that's a great start =] Your skin will probably look and feel much better.

I agree with the Youtube videos too. I personally don't wear a lot of makeup, just enough to even out my skin and a dab of mascara for contrast. Youtube videos though will show you everything about blending and coverage, etc. I wish I could think of a good channel to link to... if I do I'll post it later.

Remember too - what works for one person won't work for everyone. Some of us are fair skinned, dry skinned, oily skinned, scars/no scars, warm and cool toned. So try a bit of everything and eventually you'll find something that works for you :D

BTW, is that your natural hair color/eyebrow color in your pic? (If you don't mind my asking). I was trying to help you figure out if you are warm or cool toned. My hair is an ashy blonde and I have dark grey/blue eyes and I'm cool toned :) Cool tones tend to look better in "cooler" colors - blue, grey, jewel tones. Warm tones in "warmer" colors- red, orange, brown, earthy tones.

I kinda suck at makeup, too (and I'm almost ten years older than you), but I've been using L'Oreal True Match makeup for years, and I love it. I started out with pretty much the full set--foundation, concealer, and pressed powder--but after going on The Regimen, I don't really need the foundation any more, and I use whichever powder's cheap when I'm buying, but I still love, love, love their concealer.

If you're looking for something that's pretty affordable, but still good, that might be a way to go.

Yes Walmart will let you return anything it seems! Have you decided on any makeup to try?

BTW, is that your natural hair color/eyebrow color in your pic? (If you don't mind my asking). I was trying to help you figure out if you are warm or cool toned. My hair is an ashy blonde and I have dark grey/blue eyes and I'm cool toned :) Cool tones tend to look better in "cooler" colors - blue, grey, jewel tones. Warm tones in "warmer" colors- red, orange, brown, earthy tones.

Im not going to be able to get to a store for almost another week, and I haven't really decided on anything yet. I guess I'll have to go through a few trials and errors before I can choose anything.

And yes that's my real hair color and eyebrows, but I went over my eyebrows with a pencil because the regimen bleaches them a little bit, and my bathroom lighting is very yellowing so it makes me look much more tan than I actually am.

Idea - do they have those makeup counters that the 'makeup technicians' patrol, and are usually representatives of clarins etc?

They 'usually' give out testers, and i'm sure if you explain the situation they'd be more than happy to help.

Yes, you may not (or maybe can?) be able to afford these sorts of makeups, but they can at least help push you in the right direction as to what colours you should be choosing, and if you ask questions they should be able to tell you how to apply makeup too.

I had the same sort of problem - because of my skin, and the fact i'm a guy, I had to try and get it all done on the sly whilst finding something that looked alright when I had applied it.

Another thing that i've literally only found out about in the past fortnight - Nivea Visage, it's a tinted moisturiser, costs about £5 in 'cheap' shops over here, but it does the job well for me

There's a little flaking around spots, but as long as i'm persistent with it, it does fade and it also makes me look brighter.

As before though - you may have to see if it's alright with your skin, so far for me it's been alright.

Idea - do they have those makeup counters that the 'makeup technicians' patrol, and are usually representatives of clarins etc?

They 'usually' give out testers, and i'm sure if you explain the situation they'd be more than happy to help.

Yes, you may not (or maybe can?) be able to afford these sorts of makeups, but they can at least help push you in the right direction as to what colours you should be choosing, and if you ask questions they should be able to tell you how to apply makeup too.

I had the same sort of problem - because of my skin, and the fact i'm a guy, I had to try and get it all done on the sly whilst finding something that looked alright when I had applied it.

Another thing that i've literally only found out about in the past fortnight - Nivea Visage, it's a tinted moisturiser, costs about £5 in 'cheap' shops over here, but it does the job well for me

There's a little flaking around spots, but as long as i'm persistent with it, it does fade and it also makes me look brighter.

As before though - you may have to see if it's alright with your skin, so far for me it's been alright.

I know at Mac stores you can get "foundation matched." and a lot of makeup communities go by the mac color you're given to recommend other foundation colors with. Problem is, again, no mac stores or anything for a good 60 70 miles.

Clinique and some other makeup stores in Dillards have tester booths! I think Macy's does too.

But,I have a feeling you're going say that it's 50 miles off....

You can return makeup to Walgreens!

You're in a tough spot it seems. I know the feeling of living out the middle of nowhere. I had to deal with that for a couple of years myself.

Clinique and some other makeup stores in Dillards have tester booths! I think Macy's does too.

But,I have a feeling you're going say that it's 50 miles off....

You can return makeup to Walgreens!

You're in a tough spot it seems. I know the feeling of living out the middle of nowhere. I had to deal with that for a couple of years myself.

I'm guessing Dillards is British.

No Macy's

No Malls

No Ulta

No Sephora

No NOTHING.

Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, Smith's, and Albertson's. That's it.

It blows goats living since you were a baby in the middle of nowhere.