Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Just Call Me OCD

Deep Scab/Scar - Pic Included

Hello, everyone. I'd been doing so well avoiding picking for a while, but then I relapsed and made a real mess of things on the side of my nose. While I don't have a picture of my own scab/scar, the following picture I found online resembles it:

http://www.topicalinfo.org/forum/uploaded/...t%20healing.jpg

I only had a tiny pimple there, but I dug at it, and now there's a seriously massive crater on the side of the bridge of my nose. I saw the dermatologist about 2 weeks ago now, and he gave me some antibiotics, but this thing won't seem to heal. During the day, I put a couple coats of liquid bandage on it and then cover that with makeup, which the derm said was fine to do. However, the skin is just not growing back there, and it's still really, really deep and kinda green. Plus, when I peel off the liquid bandage at night, there's quite a bit of green puss underneath. How can I get the skin to regrow over this crater?

I'd go back to the derm or any doctor as green pus means it is infected. You may need oral antibiotics.

*Bump*

I'm still suffering. Sigh. Been on the oral antibiotics for a month now, and this thing is still really deep and slightly green. It's basically a hole in my face. All I'm worried about right now is getting the crater to fill up and be at the same level as the surrounding skin - I don't even care right now about the redness! I'll worry about that later. Redness is nothing compared to having a crater in the side of your nose. Sorry to be such a complainer. This thing is just really getting me down, and it feels like it will never heal.

*Bump*

I'm still suffering. Sigh. Been on the oral antibiotics for a month now, and this thing is still really deep and slightly green. It's basically a hole in my face. All I'm worried about right now is getting the crater to fill up and be at the same level as the surrounding skin - I don't even care right now about the redness! I'll worry about that later. Redness is nothing compared to having a crater in the side of your nose. Sorry to be such a complainer. This thing is just really getting me down, and it feels like it will never heal.

Hey, you could try a product called Medihoney. It's used to heal diabetic ulcers and other poor healing wounds, and is anti-bacterial. You can get it on Amazon.com if you're interested in giving it a try.

Hope you find some relief soon!

Edited by QuirkyPixy

Go back to a doctor and get it cultured. A sensitivity will determine the best type of antibiotic too. At this point I would say you're on the wrong antibiotic IF the exudate is still green. There are multiple species of bacteria that can cause a green exudate and not all are killed by the same antibiotic.

Thanks, everyone! I'm going back to the derm this Friday, so I'll keep you all posted!

One more question - What should I ask him to do to fill it? Dermal filler, some kind of injection, so on and so forth? Suggestions are much appreciated!

First of all, I love these boards! Everyone is always so helpful and supportive. A huge thanks to you all! =)

Update: I saw the derm today, and he said the scar looked like it was healing well. I beg to differ, but I'll take his word for it. He gave me a small sample of Biafine to put on it, and once that runs out, I've got some Retin-A cream for it. He said I'd be able to notice a difference in about six weeks, and the skin there should be level with the surrounding skin in about 2-3 months. Sigh... It's a long time to wait, but at least I know there's an end in sight. I asked him about dermal fillers, and he said he could inject collagen into the area, but it only lasts 2-3 months and is $500 for the whole syringe, even though he would only be using a tiny bit. Sucks, huh? Oh well. He's a nice guy, and he really reassured me about things.

I'm also becoming a lot more accepting of my other minor scars/discolorations since this one crater is so evil! Haha. It makes every other imperfection on my face seem insignificant! It's so difficult going to wait on a prescription with no makeup on and everyone staring at this huge dent in your nose, but I've done it twice now, and I'm quite proud. =) While I was waiting for the prescription to be filled, I bought another primer - Loreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base. I swear that every time I have another complaint about my face, I go buy another useless makeup product, but this one actually seemed to work quite well when I tried it back at home. It filled in the crater pretty well and blended in with my makeup nicely. It may become my new best friend if it continues working that well.

Anyways, I just wanted to give everyone an update. Hopefully things are really coming together now. Thanks again! =)