Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Timehealsall

i think im going to reduce amount of BP..

Guest Timehealsall

My skin literally looks like leather and its so flaky that when i was using a jojoba oil massage one day, so many flakes were coming off that i could go on for hours removing flakes.

I have decided to start reducing the amount of BP i use on my face. Currently i use half a fingers lenght, i think i will reduce to 1/4 a fingers length and see if i stay clear (i have some zits now, but not too many and they are small). I will let you guys know if i stay clear with that lenght.

That sounds like a good idea. Hopefully, by reducing your amount of BP your skin can slowly adapt.

How much moisturizer are you currently using? and what kind?

Guest Timehealsall

dans moisturizer with jojoba oil. I use A SHITLOAD!

Too much of anything can cause problems. Your skin needs to breathe. If you cover up the 'exits' for bacteria, and give them a pool to fester in (water solubles, bacteria grows in water), you will make it worse. Trial and error ;)

Guest Timehealsall
And what are you using to make your skin look like leather :unsure: ? It sounds over board on something :think:

im on the acne.org regimen, and i did not understand your previous post.

Maybe it's time to look for another moisturizer. CeraVe is amazing, and more moisturizing than anything I've ever tried without being greasy or suffocating. Reduce your dosage of BP for a bit too and let your skin do some repairing.

Guest Timehealsall

im afraid i might break out if i try another moisturizer.

There were times when I was using 3-4 pumps of bp twice daily(extra thick fingers length), which is overkill, but even then I never got leathery skin. I just got really dry and flaky. Once I switched to the bigger pump dispenser, its naturally easy to keep track of the dosage, because 2 pumps is always 2 pumps and you don't have to worry about judging by finger length. I was on 2 full pumps for 3 months, and although my skin was adjusting to the bp more, I would still get "dryness attacks" randomly. One week I would be clear and smooth. Then all of a sudden I would get a flaky dry spell that would last for 5 days. So I decided to drop the dosage to 1.25-1.5 pumps, which is about a 30% decrease. Its been 2-3 weeks and I'm still clear at this dosage. But best of all, I hardly get any flakes and significantly less smile lines and eye wrinkles.

I highly encourage people that have been clear for a while to experiment with lowering the dosage. Not only to reduce side effects, but to save money. I also recommend trying internal holistic remedies, such as zinc/fish oil or vitamin b5, while doing the regimen.

Guest Timehealsall
There were times when I was using 3-4 pumps of bp twice daily(extra thick fingers length), which is overkill, but even then I never got leathery skin. I just got really dry and flaky. Once I switched to the bigger pump dispenser, its naturally easy to keep track of the dosage, because 2 pumps is always 2 pumps and you don't have to worry about judging by finger length. I was on 2 full pumps for 3 months, and although my skin was adjusting to the bp more, I would still get "dryness attacks" randomly. One week I would be clear and smooth. Then all of a sudden I would get a flaky dry spell that would last for 5 days. So I decided to drop the dosage to 1.25-1.5 pumps, which is about a 30% decrease. Its been 2-3 weeks and I'm still clear at this dosage. But best of all, I hardly get any flakes and significantly less smile lines and eye wrinkles.

I highly encourage people that have been clear for a while to experiment with lowering the dosage. Not only to reduce side effects, but to save money. I also recommend trying internal holistic remedies, such as zinc/fish oil or vitamin b5, while doing the regimen.

regarding the zinc, how many mg of zinc should i be taking? Also what is the best type of zinc (picolinate, gluconate, etc)?

In most scientific studies regarding zinc, a very high dose was used, anywhere from 120-200mg. Everybody on these boards will tell you that 50mg is a good dose, and to never exceed 100mg. However, I personally believe that 120mg is a safe and effective dose. 120mg of zinc supplement(i like optizinc by solaray) only contains about 30mg of ELEMENTAL zinc. So when they say that over 100 mg of zinc is toxic, this is referring to the quantity of elemental zinc, not 100 mg of let's say zinc picolinate. I've been taking 120 mg of zinc for 2 months along with 4 teaspoons of fish oil with kefir. My t zone used be look like a crystal ball by the time I would get out of work. Now, I'm still a little bit oily, but it's noticeably less. Vitamin b5 gave me more dramatic results as far as drying up the oil, but I think zinc is overall much healthier. Even my friend, who liked to joke about my shiny nose, noticed that I haven't been shiny for last couple weeks. So far it seems like a good addition to the regimen.

Guest Timehealsall
In most scientific studies regarding zinc, a very high dose was used, anywhere from 120-200mg. Everybody on these boards will tell you that 50mg is a good dose, and to never exceed 100mg. However, I personally believe that 120mg is a safe and effective dose. 120mg of zinc supplement(i like optizinc by solaray) only contains about 30mg of ELEMENTAL zinc. So when they say that over 100 mg of zinc is toxic, this is referring to the quantity of elemental zinc, not 100 mg of let's say zinc picolinate. I've been taking 120 mg of zinc for 2 months along with 4 teaspoons of fish oil with kefir. My t zone used be look like a crystal ball by the time I would get out of work. Now, I'm still a little bit oily, but it's noticeably less. Vitamin b5 gave me more dramatic results as far as drying up the oil, but I think zinc is overall much healthier. Even my friend, who liked to joke about my shiny nose, noticed that I haven't been shiny for last couple weeks. So far it seems like a good addition to the regimen.

What name brand zinc do you use

What name brand zinc do you use

Solaray OptiZinc 30 mg. I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night, which totals 120 mg.