Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bengalsfan13

antibiotics before Accutane?

I went to the Dermatologist yesterday, and he finally decided it was time for accutane. he told me to keep using the stuff he gave me last time, glycolic acid and oral. i thought i had read somewhere that you cant take any antibiotics for a month proior to accutane, but my doc didnt say anything about this. does anyone know anything about this?

I have never heard that your not meant to take antibiotics before accutane.

It is common for a derm to prescribe antibiotics before a course of accutane to control the acne if it is quite severe (my derm did for me) or

People often take antibiotics while on accutane to control the initial breakout.

I dont think you need to worry. On my first course of accutane I was put on antibiotics and retin a. it was hell for two months but by the time my accutane course rolled around my derm thought i wouldnt need accutane (but i wanted it so he let me)

I would recommend a pro-biotic while you are taking antibiotics. This will help restore and maintain the good bacteria in your intestine that a broad spectrum anti-b kills.

Just dont take them together! pharmacists ususally recommend 2 hours at least between. I would take my probiotic in the am and my anti-b in the pm.

Good Luck! :)

I've been on doxycyclone for 2.5 months and also using differin the same. Will this help with the intial brealout? I haven't been taking antibiotic or Using ointment for about a week because my derm said to stop a week before blood work which I did yesterday. I should start accutane on tues or wednesday next week. Will the intial breakout not be as bad?

I went to the derm and he said that I have to take antibiotics. as well as taking dianette (oral pill) as well as roaccutane, so you should be fine.