Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ali1992

Successful accutane story ?

Guys, if you could, could you please tell me if you have used accutane and how successful it's been for you? Just to make me feel a little better about going on it!

Thanks!

Hahahahaha...

Don't do this to yourself man. Don't just ignore the bad stories and go on taking it. Because IF you do get a bad side-effect you're going to kick yourself for as long as you have it. Don't just listen to the good stories. Listen to the good ones, bad ones, scientific studies... Don't get sucked in by your dermatologist. Some of them are good, but others just hand it out like candy, giving no warnings about its effects.

Don't have the mindset of "this will never happen to me". Because the sad truth is that is does happen. I know you've heard it many times, but Accutane is a serious drug.

Edited by iRyRy

Hahahahaha...

Don't do this to yourself man. Don't just ignore the bad stories and go on taking it. Because IF you do get a bad side-effect you're going to kick yourself for as long as you have it. Don't just listen to the good stories. Listen to the good ones, bad ones, scientific studies... Don't get sucked in by your dermatologist. Some of them are good, but others just hand it out like candy, giving no warnings about its effects.

Don't have the mindset of "this will never happen to me". Because the sad truth is that is does happen. I know you've heard it many times, but Accutane is a serious drug.

I dont really know why you replied to this post with 'hahahaha'. I know you are right and gave good truthfull advice, however i have studied the bad accutane experiences, i have studied the side effects, however I don't want that to put me down and I understand that if i take this and it doesn't work then i guess that I am stuck with this horrible acne, but I would like to hear from people who have had successful stories, just so that it gives me a LITTLE more hope.

Hahahahaha...

The "sad truth" of your post is not everybody experiences the devestating effects. I am one person. There are thousands out there like me that have no side effects after the course is finished. Unfortunately, yes, there are folks out there and on this board that have suffered because of this drug. That's the risk anyone takes when ingesting a drug, especially one as potent as Accutane. Still, to "hahahahaha" a member is uncooth. You could be more helpful if you left out the sarcasm.

Hahahahaha...

The "sad truth" of your post is not everybody experiences the devestating effects. I am one person. There are thousands out there like me that have no side effects after the course is finished. Unfortunately, yes, there are folks out there and on this board that have suffered because of this drug. That's the risk anyone takes when ingesting a drug, especially one as potent as Accutane. Still, to "hahahahaha" a member is uncooth. You could be more helpful if you left out the sarcasm.

Uhh I didn't say the side-effects happened to everyone, I just said they did happen. I personally believe my post was more informative then what others might say: "I was on accutane, and it worked perfect for me!! You won't regret it!"

Anyways, the OP seems like he's going on Accutane regardless.

Good luck, and I mean that. I'm not evil, I still want to see people happy. I'm just trying to inform people on the good and the bad so that when they make their decision, they will be as informed as ever.

I feel for you that accutane didn't work, and I know that this could happen to me. I understand you weren't being mean, however as i said previously I didnt appriciate the sarcasm, to be quite honest your post is making me do alot more research about this drug, so thankyou for that.

I'm almost finishing up on my course (less than 2 weeks left) of Accutane on 60mg a day, unless my dermatologist prescribes one more month of a maintenance dose for shits 'n' giggles.

For me, it's worked wonders. I used to have pretty moderate acne for most of my teen years, but last year it became really severe out of nowhere! I began to have cysts and a new 'lump' (not really spots) would appear every single day, literally. I read the horror stories and was extremely reluctant to go on it, but I just couldn't face going out and feeling alienated in public. I'm not usually a self-conscious kinda person, but when it got to that point, I had to take pretty drastic measures.

So far, I'm really glad that I took the leap. My side effects have ranged from inconvenient (dry lips, dry skin, minor joint pain) to incredibly frustrating and torturous (extremely fatigued and lethargic, sleep is not as restorative). The chances of any side effects being long-term or permanent are astronomically low, but I personally feel that all side effects are reversible regardless. It's wise to be responsible and do your research, but keep your analytical hat on when reviewing studies and testimonials. Choose carefully, and make sure that you really have tried everything else to remedy your acne, because Accutane truly is a last-resort drug that should not be taken lightly.

Do I recommend it? Very much so, but only if you have exhausted all other options.

I'm almost finishing up on my course (less than 2 weeks left) of Accutane on 60mg a day, unless my dermatologist prescribes one more month of a maintenance dose for shits 'n' giggles.

For me, it's worked wonders. I used to have pretty moderate acne for most of my teen years, but last year it became really severe out of nowhere! I began to have cysts and a new 'lump' (not really spots) would appear every single day, literally. I read the horror stories and was extremely reluctant to go on it, but I just couldn't face going out and feeling alienated in public. I'm not usually a self-conscious kinda person, but when it got to that point, I had to take pretty drastic measures.

So far, I'm really glad that I took the leap. My side effects have ranged from inconvenient (dry lips, dry skin, minor joint pain) to incredibly frustrating and torturous (extremely fatigued and lethargic, sleep is not as restorative). The chances of any side effects being long-term or permanent are astronomically low, but I personally feel that all side effects are reversible regardless. It's wise to be responsible and do your research, but keep your analytical hat on when reviewing studies and testimonials. Choose carefully, and make sure that you really have tried everything else to remedy your acne, because Accutane truly is a last-resort drug that should not be taken lightly.

Do I recommend it? Very much so, but only if you have exhausted all other options.

Thanks for sharing your story, yeah I have tried for years to get rid of my acne, so this is my last hope, i hope it works as well as it has done for you.

Hahahahaha...

Uhh I didn't say the side-effects happened to everyone, I just said they did happen. I personally believe my post was more informative then what others might say: "I was on accutane, and it worked perfect for me!! You won't regret it!"

Anyways, the OP seems like he's going on Accutane regardless.

Good luck, and I mean that. I'm not evil, I still want to see people happy. I'm just trying to inform people on the good and the bad so that when they make their decision, they will be as informed as ever.

I'm sorry if I came across as witchy. Knee-jerk reaction. :( Thank you for lending your perspective. It's important.

Worked for me only for 6 months and then ....... Acne went back

Man , check this

http://www.chemocare.com/BIO/accutane.asp

just an introduction about isotretinoin uses ( which it is the active ingredient in accutane ) , like treating cancer and severe acne

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2397491/

and this one talking How chemotherapy (like accutane) damages the central nervous system

Good luck