Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kimmygibbler86

New study shows; "Acne the cause of suicidal thoughts".

It's been all over the news here in Sweden where I live, so I thought I'd translate the article for you:

Original article here

There full study is available here

STOCKHOLM 12-11-2010

Severe case of acne increases the risk of suicide, according to a new swedish study. But the disreputable prescription drug Accutane (Roaccutan) does not seem to be a contributory factor.

Acne is very common, but it is not a disease only related to the skin. The new study conducted by Karolinska Institutet in Uppsala shows that even mild forms of acne can cause psychosocial problems and low self-esteem.

The drug accutane (roaccutan) is currently the only real effective medication to fight severe acne. Last year, 7 450 patients were given the drug. Dry eyes, hair loss and documented effects on the liver, muscles and skeleton are all on the list of possible adverse effects of the drug. The drug also causes birth defects.

But accutane has primarily been discussed in relation to reports of psychological side-effects and increased suicidal tendencies.

In a new study, published in the British Medical Journal, swedish scientists have compared medical journals of 5 700 swedes who were treated with accutane during the 1980s, with the register of inpatient care and the register of deaths with underlying causes.

In total, 128 individuals who were treated with accutane attempted taking their own lives, and 24 were successful, during the period of 1980-2001. The results are not fully clear statistically, but scientists say that the result of the study shows that a higher percentage of suicide attempts was documented in the group of patients who were treated with accutane (roaccutan) compared to the general population, but that the increase was documented before the patients were exposed to the drug.

- The tendency is quite evident. Acne, especially in the severe cases, is now a verified part in the suicidal causal chain, says Epidemiologist Anders Sundström at Karolinska Institutet.

If it is the actual acne that causes the increase, or if it is any underlying cause, such as genetics, the scientists cannot say.

- The mental health aspect of treating patients suffering from severe forms of acne is something important to take into account, says Sundström.

---

Sorry for the swenglish, but I hope you get the gist of it anyway!

Edited by kimmygibbler86

I love when it takes scientists this long to state the obvious. Hopefully this study isn't just swept under the rug by the masses as they go back to watching Dancing With the Stars or whatever is on these days.

I actually don't think acne is the real cause of suicidal thoughts, if someone is very confident and comfortable in their skin and gets acne, I don't think that person will get suicidal because of acne. However, if someone who already has confidence issues and low self esteem gets acne, that might contribute and be the last straw.

I love when it takes scientists this long to state the obvious. Hopefully this study isn't just swept under the rug by the masses as they go back to watching Dancing With the Stars or whatever is on these days.

2nd this!

Of course it'll be swept under the rug. I'm not being pessimistic. Honestly. I'm an optimist. The Western culture adores pretty people and everything "fabulous" no matter how raunchy (Jersey Shore comes to mind).

it makes sense... i hate that whole "accutane causes suicidal thoughts" thing because honestly alot of people (not everyone of course) who have acne bad enough to go on accutane tend to be sad/have a low sefl-esteem/ or be depressed/suicidal. Plus accutane is such a drag and can take a while to work and is just stressful cuz then your paranoid it won't work for you and what not. Its not like the acutal contents of the drug or causing people to commit suicide... ive had very low points in my life and i can safetly say that acne/skin isssues/low self esteem fueled by acne contributed to 75% of those sad/depressed feelings. its common sense when you think about it. but obviously not everyone gets depressed over acne. but alot do..

Edited by X3Kell3X

Well duh. I wouldn't have needed a study to tell me that. Do these idiots have a degree in Stating The Obvious or something? :eh:

Well duh. I wouldn't have needed a study to tell me that. Do these idiots have a degree in Stating The Obvious or something? :eh:

To non-acne sufferers (and those of us who have had acne and never let it bother us....), it is not obvious. :)

However, it won't change anything as Siava says.

Guest Timehealsall

imo, acne has ruined me. I was so confident and outgoing before it. The thing with me is, i always had low self-esteem, but i looked normal before acne. Now with acne+ low confidence, i feel fucked.

imo, acne has ruined me. I was so confident and outgoing before it. The thing with me is, i always had low self-esteem, but i looked normal before acne. Now with acne+ low confidence, i feel fucked.

Second this.

I third this

I third this

4th this

Not I. Acne's the least of any worries I've ever had. Guess it just depends on life experiences.

To non-acne sufferers (and those of us who have had acne and never let it bother us....), it is not obvious. :)

However, it won't change anything as Siava says.

^Very true. Before I had acne, my friends and family members did while I never had more than one small pimple every so often. I never thought it was a big deal, or that it could be so depressing.

Well, boy do I know now!! I never was trying to win a beauty pagent or anything, but at least I was somewhat comfortable with how I looked and knew what to expect every morning....

I third this

4th this

yep, im guna go ahead and 5th this.............except i didnt have low self esteem before acne, acne is what gave me the low self esteem..

Guest Chrisâ„¢

No shit scientists, I could have told you that 10 yrs ago, and my ancestors probably could have told you that 500 years ago, now get to work on finding a cure for cancer or something useful, you dumbasses. lol.

"To non-acne sufferers (and those of us who have had acne and never let it bother us....), it is not obvious. smile.gif

However, it won't change anything as Siava says."

Try having cysts all over your face for years straight, then have your face permenantely wrecked with irreversable disfiguring scarring, and then come back and tell us if it has bothered you. No offense good ma'am.

Edited by Chrisâ„¢

Guest Timehealsall

To be honest, it feels like even if my pimples go away, the emotional effects that i have had to deal with for years (5 years) and the fact that i always had low self-esteem, i really feel as if i am permanently fucked in the mind.

I rarely talk to anyone, rarely go out to enjoy myself, rarely even attend the classes that i do not have to (i.e. i can get by not attending them).

I honestly do not look forward to anything and do not enjoy anything.

It might sound like i am over-exaggerating, but in all honesty, i am not. I truly feel as if i have nothing to look forward too..

wynne, excuse me for asking, but what have you gone through that as made you feel the way you do about acne? I am not trying to get into your personal business or anything, but i was just curious..

No shit scientists, I could have told you that 10 yrs ago, and my ancestors probably could have told you that 500 years ago, now get to work on finding a cure for cancer or something useful, you dumbasses. lol.

"To non-acne sufferers (and those of us who have had acne and never let it bother us....), it is not obvious. smile.gif

However, it won't change anything as Siava says."

Try having cysts all over your face for years straight, then have your face permenantely wrecked with irreversable disfiguring scarring, and then come back and tell us if it has bothered you. No offense good ma'am.

I did. :) I've had far worse experiences. And no, I'm not sharing my personal experiences.

Yes, like this.

To be honest, it feels like even if my pimples go away, the emotional effects that i have had to deal with for years (5 years) and the fact that i always had low self-esteem, i really feel as if i am permanently fucked in the mind.

I rarely talk to anyone, rarely go out to enjoy myself, rarely even attend the classes that i do not have to (i.e. i can get by not attending them).

I honestly do not look forward to anything and do not enjoy anything.

It might sound like i am over-exaggerating, but in all honesty, i am not. I truly feel as if i have nothing to look forward too..

This pretty much sums up my life right now. I'm only 19 but I've lived the last 4 1/2 years pretty much by myself. I used to be very social, now I'm sociaphobic. It fucking sucks to have missed out on as much as I (/we) have so far in life.

"It's like being sick all the time, I think, coming home from work, sick in that low-grade continuous way that makes you forget what it's like to be well."

New study shows; having shit come out of your face that makes no one want to talk to you or be around you and leaving red marks and scars all over your face causes suicidal thoughts.

Oh really now?

I actually don't think acne is the real cause of suicidal thoughts, if someone is very confident and comfortable in their skin and gets acne, I don't think that person will get suicidal because of acne. However, if someone who already has confidence issues and low self esteem gets acne, that might contribute and be the last straw.

nah coz i used 2 b propa outgoin n confident n den i strted gettin cystic acne an stopped goin out + nw i cnt

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

this research is just....wow no kidding rly??? :shock:

no actually its...

....DUUUUUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wanna punch those scientist in a face, they could have better used the money to create something epic and revolutionary to destroy this shit once for all than slacking their asses on something soo duhduhduh! :doh: