Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Isabella100

New To Accutane

hi there. i've not yet started on a course of accutane but i have an appointment with my doctor on monday. i'm considering doing a low dosage, but i don't want a relapse. :confused: has anyone with persistent moderate acne on their face/chest/back had success with a low dosage of accutane? if so, how long did it take to clear your skin up?

i've done some research on accutane and know the basic do's and don'ts. lots of water, good diet, no sun, and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

does anyone have any suggestions for what the best + least expensive moisturizer would be that i could buy in large quantities? :P

also, what foods specifically to avoid, and what i would want not to avoid?

are there medications i should avoid or, as a rule, should i avoid all medications?

i appreciate any feedback. if there's anything i'm missing, let me know. :)

hi there. i've not yet started on a course of accutane but i have an appointment with my doctor on monday. i'm considering doing a low dosage, but i don't want a relapse. :confused: has anyone with persistent moderate acne on their face/chest/back had success with a low dosage of accutane? if so, how long did it take to clear your skin up?

i've done some research on accutane and know the basic do's and don'ts. lots of water, good diet, no sun, and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

does anyone have any suggestions for what the best + least expensive moisturizer would be that i could buy in large quantities? :P

are there medications i should avoid or, as a rule, should i avoid all medications?

i appreciate any feedback. if there's anything i'm missing, let me know. :)

Just been reading your post, I totally need the same information! my appointment is next week, i hope accutane works for you! how bad is your acne if you dont mind me asking?

does anyone have any suggestions for what the best + least expensive moisturizer would be that i could buy in large quantities?

I used Cetaphil and never had a single issue. I used both the moisturizer and cleanser. I never got dry, or oily. I bought my bottles at Target, I think they were around $10 but they have lasted me my whole treatment (I am now on month 6) and I still have some left. I wash my face twice a way with a full pump of it.

I didn't avoid anything while on Accutane. You're not supposed to eat things high in vitamin A though.

I think the only thing you can't take with Accutane are certain antibiotics because you run the risk of having your brain swell. Scary!

Good luck with your treatment. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Just been reading your post, I totally need the same information! my appointment is next week, i hope accutane works for you! how bad is your acne if you dont mind me asking?

moderate, but it's pretty bad... antibiotics worked for me in the past but they're not doing so much now. none of my friends or family have ever had skin problems so they don't understand my frustration and determination. i hate going out in public, i hate having my picture taken, and i feel hideous. i've had bad acne since around the time i turned 11 and i'll be turning 21 within the year. i hate it! i would literally give anything not to have acne. >:[

does anyone have any suggestions for what the best + least expensive moisturizer would be that i could buy in large quantities?

I used Cetaphil and never had a single issue. I used both the moisturizer and cleanser. I never got dry, or oily. I bought my bottles at Target, I think they were around $10 but they have lasted me my whole treatment (I am now on month 6) and I still have some left. I wash my face twice a way with a full pump of it.

I didn't avoid anything while on Accutane. You're not supposed to eat things high in vitamin A though.

I think the only thing you can't take with Accutane are certain antibiotics because you run the risk of having your brain swell. Scary!

Good luck with your treatment. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

thanks. how many fluid ounces did you buy? was it just the moisturizer or the cleanser, or both? i'll probably get the stuff for sensitive skin, since i'm betting my skin is going to be pretty sensitive. :P

Edited by Isabella100

I know exactly how you feel dont worry! I feel the same with my acne, it sucks man! but hopefully accutane will work and clear your acne for good!

my dermatologist appointment is on december 2... but i'm worried. it seems that accutane can cause recurring yeast infections? anyone had this problem? ://

Hmm. I've done a lot of research on Accutane before during and now after my treatment and I haven't read that anywhere. I took Accutane for five months and didn't get one, if that makes you feel better.

more questions, this time about blood tests: what can i expect the costs to be, since my insurance won't pay for it? what all do the blood tests entail? does that include a pregnancy test, since i'm female, or do i have to do that and pay for it separately? where can i go to get the blood tests and everything done? is there any way at all i might get a discount or something?

funny that it's not the cost of accutane, but the cost of the blood tests that have me worried.

hey ya i'm on low dosage of accutane 10mg a day . i think it works pretty good . it does not caused any side effects . a lil dry lips ....seeing improvement on day 13 ... cyst dried up . dont worry i think the derm will increase your dosage the next appoint

I'm not sure where you live but i'm in the US and paid 140 for every lab visit. I went to a place that was specifically for people with no insurance and claimed to offer lower prices for those who paid in cash up front. I recommend looking around for a place like that, or shopping around like you would with anything else. Let them know you'll be paying cash and sometimes they have discounts of up to 30% :)