Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DonnerParty

Acne gone physically, but not mentally

I had acne for around 7 years and last year I did a cycle of accutane and it has gotten rid of it completely. Every time someone even glances at me it still feels like I have it. It's like I feel that they see acne on my face. Even if it's just an innocent glance I can't distinguish the stare as if they are just looking to see me or they are looking at a face full of acne.

I was wondering if anyone else had issues like this? And do they go away? I was thinking maybe it just takes time because I've been so used to looking in the mirrior at acne all over my face and now there's nothing.

I don't remember, it was a long time ago I lost my acne (though it's back again as of recently :X), but I guess it's kind of the same principle as when I've been at the barber; I shake my head to flip my hair, and since there's no hair I end up almost breaking my neck.

I had acne for around 7 years and last year I did a cycle of accutane and it has gotten rid of it completely. Every time someone even glances at me it still feels like I have it. It's like I feel that they see acne on my face. Even if it's just an innocent glance I can't distinguish the stare as if they are just looking to see me or they are looking at a face full of acne.

I was wondering if anyone else had issues like this? And do they go away? I was thinking maybe it just takes time because I've been so used to looking in the mirrior at acne all over my face and now there's nothing.

yup i can totally relate. i remember when i was in 10th grade, i had very little acne.. you could barely see anything but i was always paranoid people were staring at me. I was emotionally just scarred from the previous year when i first developed acne all over my face.. now i'm in grade 12 and my acne has gotten worse than ever before and i have actually lost MANY MANY .. almost all friendships with my peers, family members, etc due to the psychological effects of acne.

i hope it goes away but for me it's rooted in my head and i faced a lot of bullshit from EVERYONE.. and i don't see it going away anytime soon.

but i think all we need are a few positive, kind words from others as well as self-assurance that you are beautiful to help neutralize our negative self image.

Maybe go all Gok Wan on yourself and get a nice photoshoot done, or get your nicest beach photo and put this pic up somewhere you can see it at home to remind yourself.

I sort of know what you mean, I mostly recovered from my acne. I still get spots but much much much less. When I look at my skin I am amazed and relieved cause I feel like I still have it.

The realisation I was clear (mostly) was in two incidents.

Recently when I was showing my boyfriend my backless dresses I saw myself in the mirror and started to cry. I was so uncontrolably happy for the first time in years and for the first time I felt beautiful.... not didseased.

Later on that week I took a pic of my back for my log and posted it and when I saw it it looked photoshopped to my eyes. I compaired it to the picture from june and I just burst into tears. I posted a pic of my back on facebook as my profile pic to celebrate.

I think it takes a while but pictures of your clear skin so you can see how others see you is really useful.

also after I posted the pic on facebook with an honest comment as to why I was surprised by how much support I got from the people I knew. I'm even tempted to have a clearskin celebratory meal... but maybe thats taking it too far... though for me, getting clearer is a big life event so I'd feel justified...

Hi, DonnerParty. You'll most likely get over feeling weirded out by being looked at, but it will take time. It took many months after the course for me to stop the constant mirror checking and looking down when people talked to me face to face. It'll get better. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. It really helps a bunch.

Anytime. That's why we're all here. :comfort: