Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BENJIO7

make-up brushes

I definitely don't wash mine as much as I probably should, even though I use them on clean skin. I aim for once a week - some people do it daily.

I think washing ones used for foundation and powders daily is a very good idea.

I used to use this brush shampoo from Sephora but I felt that it wasn't fully removing the makeup and started using dish soap which really helps to break up the oils that have built up in the brush. Because dish soap is kind of harsh, it's probably not the best thing for brushes but I really haven't noticed a difference in their quality.

I've also used mild, anti-bacterial hand soap and baby shampoo.

I wash them with my face cleanser and swoosh them around in alcohol.

I have multiple kabuki brushes,and I use each one twice before washing.

I also only apply to a clean and prepped face.

I used to only wash every handful of applications,but I have so many that I can afford to wash them more often. They take forever to dry. =)

I wash my foundation brush everyday, or at least when I used it (sometimes just once or twice a week) with a mix of baby shampoo and olive oil.

I don't think you have to wash other brushes everyday, but I use liquid foundation and I just feel I'm putting make up from yesterday on my face if I don't wash it.

Foundation ones--every few days with my skin cleanser (see my sig--Nutribiotic).

Eye makeup ones...not that often. But then again, I probably only use them once a week.

Dishwashing soap and olive oil. Mix the two on a plate, swoosh the brush in it, rinse, done. It's probably a good idea to do the foundation ones everyday.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I only washed my eye makeup brushes a few times,but now I use the same colors so I don't need to rinse other colors out.

Honestly,I've never had any issues with not washing eye makeup brushes...so I have no incentive to do so. Certainly don't recommend others to do the same.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Foundation brushes - Either every time or every other time I use it

Concealer brushes - At least once a week, maybe more

Eyeshadow brushes - Probably once every 2 weeks (not very often)

Eyliner brushes - If I use a gel eyeliner, I wash it every time I use it

And I just use plain antibacterial soap -- I wet the brush, put some soap in my hand, and gently swirl the brush around for a while. Then I rinse with warm water and repeat if necessary. Then I place the brush in a towel and press out as much water as I can, then let is dry overnight. I've definitely been meaning to invest in a good brush cleaner though.. I doubt the soap is very good for the brushes.

foundation brush - once a week(I use it for MMU)

concealer brush - every few days because i use a cream concealer

i use soap or my face wash to clean them

Edited by SkinBeingaDouchebag

I spot clean after every use with MAC's brush cleaner. It dries really fast so if you want to use the brush twice for different products it's good for getting rid of bacteria so you don't transfer it back into the product or onto your face.

Once a week or so I do a deep clean. I use a small amount of baby shampoo on a paper towel, wet the brush and swirl it around on the paper towel. Then rinse. If I have a brush that's stained I'll use a bit of MAC Cleansing Oil (that stuff is amazing!) and then follow up with the baby shampoo.

i wash my face brushes, n eyeliner brush every day. but that's because i use them daily. i think you only have to wash your brushes once a week if you use them sparingly.

to clean them, i use olive oil, antibacterial soap, and baby shampoo. there's a video on this via youtube by michelle phan. i usually don't watch her videos, but i liked how she used the antibacterial soap along with the oil. i use olive oil to take my makeup off my face, and i think it does help keep my skin clearer.

Edited by indayden_den

no problem ;) there's all kinds of methods, and i'm sure many of them work well. if you were going to try using the antibacterial soap, i'd rec not using too much of it. i've damaged some of my brushes that way. and have you tried ecotools brushes? they get great reviews, and the bristles are really soft, so not likely they'll irritate your skin.

Slight deviation from the topic - I second the ecotools recommendation, they are really nice brushes.

If I have active breakouts I wash mine after every use, otherwise every 2-3 days. If I've recently tried a face cleanser that I don't like, a great way to use it up is as a brush cleanser, otherwise I use baby shampoo.