Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jaysjay

factors that affect scar

hey, i used to have mild acne been like that all through 2000 decade although i healed perfectly with little or no scarring, even if it was a big acne, that would be their once in an year, it would have healed to perfection.

i used to treat my skin vigourosly with BP 10% and never had any problem with the recovery, again the skin would get flaky and shed and reveal new skin consequently.

my skin used to be so young that people would complement me , then came the time when a dermatologist prsecribed me 10mg accutane/day which i took for around one month and one winter night took a bath in burning hot water,from the very next day i started having severe itching all over my body and it would later turn out to be urticaria(chronic) which would stay there for the next ten months.

now i concede that i am (could be since have a history of them in my maternal side) an atopic individual but never showed any trait of being one till i started taking accutane , anyway i dont blame accutane for urticaria but it indeed mixed with that hot water bath was the only precipitating factor that i can think of.

anyway after that never again would my skin heal as it used to , even a session of microdermabrasion would scar me where,in earlier times i could have three session in 16 days with litrelly zero scarring and perfect recovery with shining skin.

my skin gets red pretty easily where a tiny eruption leaves a pit or scar .

what went wrong there?????

i used to be proud upon the thickness of my skin and boast of its recovery in people,

what could possibly be the thing that has turned it so drastically

1. could it be genetics ,that i am an atopic individual and my allergies would inevitably come up to show at an age around 23?????

2. could it be accutane (10mg/day) i think not???

3.my blood checkups have been showing my ESR to be as low as 2

has been at that level since last three years, i have searched for it everywhere from my medical books to other doctors but didnt find a significance, but is it significent for scarring??

4urticaria?? histamine ??

has anyone else experience such metamorphosis in their skin? if yes then please share so we can find out how we can take that responsible factor out and get back to that awesome skin regeneration we have had in the past.

Guest Timehealsall
hey, i used to have mild acne been like that all through 2000 decade although i healed perfectly with little or no scarring, even if it was a big acne, that would be their once in an year, it would have healed to perfection.

i used to treat my skin vigourosly with BP 10% and never had any problem with the recovery, again the skin would get flaky and shed and reveal new skin consequently.

my skin used to be so young that people would complement me , then came the time when a dermatologist prsecribed me 10mg accutane/day which i took for around one month and one winter night took a bath in burning hot water,from the very next day i started having severe itching all over my body and it would later turn out to be urticaria(chronic) which would stay there for the next ten months.

now i concede that i am (could be since have a history of them in my maternal side) an atopic individual but never showed any trait of being one till i started taking accutane , anyway i dont blame accutane for urticaria but it indeed mixed with that hot water bath was the only precipitating factor that i can think of.

anyway after that never again would my skin heal as it used to , even a session of microdermabrasion would scar me where,in earlier times i could have three session in 16 days with litrelly zero scarring and perfect recovery with shining skin.

my skin gets red pretty easily where a tiny eruption leaves a pit or scar .

what went wrong there?????

i used to be proud upon the thickness of my skin and boast of its recovery in people,

what could possibly be the thing that has turned it so drastically

1. could it be genetics ,that i am an atopic individual and my allergies would inevitably come up to show at an age around 23?????

2. could it be accutane (10mg/day) i think not???

3.my blood checkups have been showing my ESR to be as low as 2

has been at that level since last three years, i have searched for it everywhere from my medical books to other doctors but didnt find a significance, but is it significent for scarring??

4urticaria?? histamine ??

has anyone else experience such metamorphosis in their skin? if yes then please share so we can find out how we can take that responsible factor out and get back to that awesome skin regeneration we have had in the past.

Umm, first of all i highly doubt that a night of burning hot bath could induce scarring. I think it was the accutane.

Whats funny is that my skin gets red very easily as well, and it seems like i scar in those areas as well.

I never took accutane, but i am scarring for some odd reason. Do you think benzoyl peroxide could cause scarring? (i always used 2.5 % bp to spot treat).

@timehealsall, first of all thanks for the reply,secondly i dont honestly think my fragile skin could be attributed to Benzoyl Peroxide since when i met the metamorphosis it was already 8 months from the time i last used BP, the only active etiological factor i can think of is Accutane(a well known exacerbating factor of urticaria in susceptible individuals in addition with that hot water bath which again is a well known precipitating factor ( not that it can cause it but it can certainly give it a headstart lol) for the susceptible individual.

thirdly, i mostly blame urticaria for my present skin condition which again could be in my genes since i have a lot of atopic individuals in my maternal side which includes my mother as well(she has allergic rhinitis) but accutane is certainly one thing which definitly exacerbates my urticaria, it had been in dormant state since last couple of years only to return as soon as i started next course of accutane even if it is at a low dose such as 10mg/kg.

so to put it simply i never had urticaria in my life i took accutane and started suffering with it within one month of accutane then i get off from accutane and my urticaria went into virtually complete suppression for more then two years , then i started accutane again and my allergies returns in a matter of one month from the start of accutane( though my skin healing was always compromised ever since i had met first bout of allergy), some significant relation there!

so in my case Accutane = urticaria = very poor healing (for the rest of my life???)

i get petechiae if i indulge in any activity causing pressure on my face (excessive vomitiing ,exercises etc)

could be thin skin as my blood picture is totally normal ??

whats with my ESR it always remains at such a lower side (hardly two)??

though i always used to get red (very red) during exercises or any activity of physical strain but my bright red complexion would vanish as soon as i calmed down and it never affected my healing time, its only after the aforementioned period since i have been sustaining petechiaes

for some days (one to four) after a heavy work out.

your healing will improve over time... not sure how long you were on accutane but 10 mg is an extremely low doseage unless you way 20 lbs...lol

but anyways that is a low doseage I was on 40-60mg... and it did affect me... skin healing has definitely always been different ever since then...

A lot of others have experienced this post accutane.

After 3 years your healing should be a bit better by then.

Benzoyl peroxide shouldn't relaly hurt you but after accutane you need to keep skin moisurized as well as use something like BP or Retin A for acne otherwise you'll over dry..

It seems like skin can be more prone to scar when overdry.

P.S. takinga HOT bath or HOT shower when on accutane would be a big no-no and any doctor would tell you that. In fact some recommend that you don't shower as often especially if you have deep wounds or scabs.

your healing will improve over time... not sure how long you were on accutane but 10 mg is an extremely low doseage unless you way 20 lbs...lol

I think people outside of America are only prescribed up to 20mg or some rather low number like that. They think people here are crazy for going any higher..

Benzoyl peroxide shouldn't relaly hurt you but after accutane you need to keep skin moisurized as well as use something like BP or Retin A for acne otherwise you'll over dry..

well thanks for the information.

the reason of me being concerned over healing is that my skin has turned super fragile and basically i am not blaming accutane for it ( except for the fact that in my case accutane precipitates urticaria) .

so my main concern in a way is urticaria and its effects on skin, or the healing time in atopic individuals, or the use of accutane in atopic individuals.

and by super fragile skin means i cant apply BP on it , no not for once , as once it has dried out my skin and rendered flakes i sure know that there would be no recovery, the flakes would shed leaving brown scarred skin not the fresh glowing skin that they usually do.

i have faced it.one application is enough in my case now to cause scar.

Guest Timehealsall

well thanks for the information.

the reason of me being concerned over healing is that my skin has turned super fragile and basically i am not blaming accutane for it ( except for the fact that in my case accutane precipitates urticaria) .

so my main concern in a way is urticaria and its effects on skin, or the healing time in atopic individuals, or the use of accutane in atopic individuals.

and by super fragile skin means i cant apply BP on it , no not for once , as once it has dried out my skin and rendered flakes i sure know that there would be no recovery, the flakes would shed leaving brown scarred skin not the fresh glowing skin that they usually do.

i have faced it.one application is enough in my case now to cause scar.

wait a minute, did you just say that when you apply benzoyl peroxide, the flakes would shed and the scars are like brownish? I have noticed that some of the "random/spontaneous" scarring i am getting look brownish. What color are your flakes? My flakes are dark brownish/blackish color as well. One to two application of benzoyl peroxide causes MASSIVE FLAKES on my skin. I can literally go for minutes rubbing this dead skin off.

I should mention that i have seborrheic dermatitis and RANDOM REDNESS on my face from time to time. Do you think this is the reaosn i am getting random scars?

Please pm me and tell me EVERYTHING you are experiencing. did you figure out a way to stop the scarring?

Guest Timehealsall

wat exactly do you mean by "atopic" individuals. I am a bit confused by this. What exactly is uriticaria?

well, I agree with the methodology of applying a low doseage over a long time if the acne isn't dangerously inflamed.

The low dosage of 20 mgs over a period fo around 8 months may even be more effective than a high doseage of 60-80mg for 5 months.

However if someone does have large painful cysts then applying that low doseage may really not be the greatest solution.

Ultimately if I were to prescribe someone a low doseage of accutane I would try and minimize their acne as much as possible before prescribing it to them with some other treatments, then after that I would give them accutane, but then again I am not a doctor... lol, but I have given this serious thought.

I disagree with some doctors wanting to wait until acne is at it's absolute worst so they can sign the script, I think it's a bunch of bureaucratic nonsesne, especially if it is fairly obvious the situation is worsening with time.

Thus is our medical system...

Wait til it is at it's worse before giving the right treatment, then be left with disfigurements from that illness because treatment was delayed for so long.

If your skin is fragile you need to find a good moisturizer to use and it will slowly help your skin rebuild over time, and have some moisture. Especially since accutane stops oil production essentially making your skin more dry.

IF you need to apply BP i would not use a 10 %.

I would recommend you a script of Benzaclin, 5% bp and 1% clindamycin. I would use Benzaclin start out once a day. Wash face with GENTLE cetaphil wash (do not get a drying wash) then apply benzaclin after skin is dry evenly all over your face, generously. Then when THAT dries apply a moisturizer that doesn't block pores like olay or cetaphil.

That is the best way to use Benzaclin or BP.

Also it is quite effective to apply it after you shave, because the skin is porous.

Your skin will sting because of your sensitivity to BP then you apply a moisturizer and it helps the situation.

wat exactly do you mean by "atopic" individuals. I am a bit confused by this. What exactly is uriticaria?

Atopic individuals are the people who have increased amount of IgE antibodies in their system ,they would be particularly sensitive and vulnerable to allergic condition like Asthama, Rhinitis, Urticaria.etc etc

one easy test done to find out the tendency is scratch test where a Doctor would scratch your forearm with a key and if it turns red then you could be atopic.

that coupled with family history would almost make the diagnosis confirmed.

urticaria is another allergic condition of skin characterized by wheals and flares( red raised bumps of size more then 2 mm which come and go, and though red in color would turn pale on pressing).

Guest Timehealsall

Atopic individuals are the people who have increased amount of IgE antibodies in their system ,they would be particularly sensitive and vulnerable to allergic condition like Asthama, Rhinitis, Urticaria.etc etc

one easy test done to find out the tendency is scratch test where a Doctor would scratch your forearm with a key and if it turns red then you could be atopic.

that coupled with family history would almost make the diagnosis confirmed.

urticaria is another allergic condition of skin characterized by wheals and flares( red raised bumps of size more then 2 mm which come and go, and though red in color would turn pale on pressing).

ok i think i might be atopic because my skin gets red easily too. But how would this contribute to scarring? I dont have asthma or the other thing you mentioned, but i do get a stuffy nose quite often (runs in the family).

Is there anything i can do to reduce my chance of scarring?

Dude it's probably the accutane. It is widely known on the forums through documented experiences that taking accutane can make the skin extremely fragile. Many people have reported having skin that never scarred and after accutane they scar easily. I believe this in part due to the skin on the face being thinned as a result of the drug as well as generally decreasing the bodies natural healing ability.