Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JessyL

Really getting me down.

Hi,

Ive been brownsing the forum for a while now and found comfort in the fact that there is many people out there who is going through the same thing I am.

Ive recently turned 21 and because of the state my face was in I didnt want to do anything, I ended up agreeing to a family meal but kept my head down the whole time. Now a could of weeks on my friends have organised a joint 21st birthday party suprise for tonight and I feel so ugly I dont want to go.

Ive been looking at pictures from facebook, not even a year a go when my skin was pretty much clear apart from the odd spot or 2 and its brought me to tears. I used to be so happy.

Me and my ex were on about getting back together but as he hasnt seen me in a couple of months im afraid he'll see me and think no chance so ive cut communication with him. :cry:

Ive been at home from uni for over a week, missed lectures, fallen behind on coursework and basically dont want to go back feeling like this.

My mum dad have tried everything to make me feel better but I keep snapping at them and basically being a devil child.

I just dont know what to do anymore, my skin is making mine and my familys life miserable :(.

Hi,

Ive been brownsing the forum for a while now and found comfort in the fact that there is many people out there who is going through the same thing I am.

Ive recently turned 21 and because of the state my face was in I didnt want to do anything, I ended up agreeing to a family meal but kept my head down the whole time. Now a could of weeks on my friends have organised a joint 21st birthday party suprise for tonight and I feel so ugly I dont want to go.

Ive been looking at pictures from facebook, not even a year a go when my skin was pretty much clear apart from the odd spot or 2 and its brought me to tears. I used to be so happy.

Me and my ex were on about getting back together but as he hasnt seen me in a couple of months im afraid he'll see me and think no chance so ive cut communication with him. :cry:

Ive been at home from uni for over a week, missed lectures, fallen behind on coursework and basically dont want to go back feeling like this.

My mum dad have tried everything to make me feel better but I keep snapping at them and basically being a devil child.

I just dont know what to do anymore, my skin is making mine and my familys life miserable :(.

carbon copy of my story, onoly that yu were lucky to haove a past relationship, whereas i have nt.

am 18 and have met my family members 4 2 yearsexcept mum whom i stay wif..

maybe 1 day all acne sufferers wishes wud culme true

REBEL

Hi,

I'm sorry you're going through this. I am going through the exact same thing right now (it was like reading my current life story). The only difference is that I'm 23. My family is so sick of me being like this and hiding in my house that they want me to go on depression medication and to move on with my life. The only reason I won't take their advice and go on the meds is because they are known to cause/worsen acne. :'(

Ive just broken down on the way to the shops to pick up some new shoes for tonight (dont think im going to go anyhow) and caught a glimpse of myself in the car mirror, immediately tears started flowing down my cheeks.

My mum is amazing, she tries everything to make me feel better, and i feel awful for upsetting her.

Youre right, anti depression medication would just make it worse :(.

Thanks for your replies, I really hope that we dont have to go on like this for much longer.

I know this is hard to believe, but be thankful you have acne. Don't be the kind of person who dwells on what you've lost (a good complexion), be someone who is grateful for what you have. Close your eyes, and imagine you have cancer and have a couple months to live...

Although acne is a bit hard to get over, be thankful that's all you have. If you can get past the fact you have acne, your life will be tremendously better.

Ive just broken down on the way to the shops to pick up some new shoes for tonight (dont think im going to go anyhow) and caught a glimpse of myself in the car mirror, immediately tears started flowing down my cheeks.

My mum is amazing, she tries everything to make me feel better, and i feel awful for upsetting her.

Thanks for your replies, I really hope that we dont have to go on like this for much longer.

You know, youre totally right. Sometimes I handle it okay, it just seems to be getting worse but maybe I need to accept it, stop stressing and maybe one day my skin will be better.

Life could always be worse.

I'm going to go to this suprise party tonight and enjoy myself, itll do me more good than sitting in my room all night.

Hi,

I'm sorry you're going through this. I am going through the exact same thing right now (it was like reading my current life story). The only difference is that I'm 23. My family is so sick of me being like this and hiding in my house that they want me to go on depression medication and to move on with my life. The only reason I won't take their advice and go on the meds is because they are known to cause/worsen acne. :'(

'

Hey girl

just so you know I am on wellbutrin and it hasn't affected my face at all. It's actually a great one because the side effects are pretty much 0. Just so you know you have options. Feel better <3

wow awesome. Have fun and good on you!

Agree :D

I break down in tears alot lately. I'm glad to hear that you have a supportive mother. It really helps to have someone and not feel completely alone. My parents just tell me to get over it and that I'm making a big deal about nothing. To me it is a big deal, it's my face and it's getting worse.. I don't want to scar.

Guest Timehealsall

I break down in tears alot lately. I'm glad to hear that you have a supportive mother. It really helps to have someone and not feel completely alone. My parents just tell me to get over it and that I'm making a big deal about nothing. To me it is a big deal, it's my face and it's getting worse.. I don't want to scar.

atleast you can still prevent scarring. Others like myself are already fucked..

hey Jessy, i absolutely know how you feel. 6 months ago i developed extremely severe acne very suddenly, and it has been the worst six months of my life. I spent much of it hiding in my house, and seeing friends who i hadn't seen in a while was the worst! Coming back to school after the summer..ugh. But, one thing that has helped me immensely has been positive affirmations and positive visioning. The idea behind a positive affirmation is that if you say something enough it will come true. So, every time i look into a mirror, or whenever i think about my skin in a negative way, i say "i have beautiful, radiant, clear, healthy skin that reflects the beauty, radiance, clarity, and health of my mind body and spirit." Positive visioning is the same idea- before you go to bed, or while you are saying the positive affirmation, picture your skin healing, and then picture yourself with clear skin. reallllly focus on the mental vision. I just started doing this about 2 weeks ago and it has helped SO MUCH i can literally see the difference each morning! And i have been thinking about my skin less since i've been doing this, i actually found myself walking around feeling like i actually had clear skin. Of course, i was quite saddened when i passed a mirror and saw all the red marks and scars etc. but i felt great before that, and i just told myself i was beautiful and moved on. I am absolutely going to do this every day, i think everyone should! The universe gives you what you focus on. I know it sounds silly, but what harm can it do?

Other things that are super helpful for me are getting enough sleep and dietary changes. I am not completely clear now, i think i have some hormonal things to figure out, but the severity of my acne has changed completely. I used to have 20-30 BIG PAINFUL cysts at a time - my face was literally deformed- and now i have mostly white heads and only two or three inflamed pimples, not even close to what i have had for the past 6 months. I have red marks and scars and that is really hard to deal with, but i am trying to stay positive, and i really think that is the most helpful thing. What have you got to lose, right? You are beautiful! you just have to keep reminding yourself. I hope this helps you, and i hope you enjoyed your birthday party!!!

haha sorry this is so long, but another thing to think about is that if you aren't always thinking about your skin, other people won't either. Several different people have told me that they don't even notice my acne (even when it was at its worst) and they just notice my eyes and expressions, because i was just being myself. When you avoid eye contact and are always looking down and covering your face, it just brings more attention to it. i know it seems totally impossible to NOT thing about it, but see what you can do. I also only ever look in a mirror when i am washing my face or spot treating and can't avoid it. don't be so hard on yourself. I used to always expect people to judge me and be mean to me, but that hasn't been the case at all. People have been treating me exactly the same as people treated me when i was clear. The only person who has been mean to me because of my acne is myself. And i had absolutely horrible acne...like..every derm i saw wanted to put me on accutaine the first time i saw them.

So, keep your head up! hope you have a good weekend :)