Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acnecangotohell

question on washing my face

im about 2 weeks into the regimen and my face is looking great but i have a question.. like during the day at about 3-4 i play basketball and i usually sweat a lot. Should I wash my face if I sweat? Or should i just leave it and wipe it off with some paper towels or something and just wash my face at night as usual...

THanks

Sweat is a reason why people get acne. When you sweat, your pores get clogged more easily. Don't you notice that your acne gets worse / irritated after long hours of sweat / outdoors? What you should do is simply splash your face with cold/luke-warm water after you exercise. Don't use any cleansers, just simply wash off the sweat with water.

Well, it's up to you, really. If you feel that your skin feels ok after playing basketball, then sure, you can just wipe it with paper towels.

I get particularly squeamish after sweating a lot, and I'm always worried about getting more zits than I particularly need, so I usually wash my face after sweating a lot.

I personally would wash my face - with water if nothing else is around - using more BP (as long as my skin didn't say "ouch, that is too much").

When I played soccer, I started breaking out real bad (as in worse than average) and used baking soda on my face to help dry out the sweat. I would put some on my face before and during play(dry, like a powder) since it worked as both a cleaner and absorber. Then I'd wash off afterwards or as soon as possible. Personally, I'd rather be seen with a mild layer of baking soda on my face than a bunch of zits. ugh. And hey, baking soda kept my feet decent smelling and non-sweaty, too! bb_wink.gif

I live in an extremely high humidity area - I still use that method today when I work or play outside. However, my skin is especially oily - not everyone with acne has oily skin and so this probably wouldn't assist them at all, in my opinion.

I would not wash more than twice a day. Washing too much will dry out your skin, which can cause your skin to produce more oil. After I sweat a lot, I just pat my face dry with a clean washcloth or some paper towels. I have no complaints, and I have been doing this for years. I'm sure most people will agree that this is the best thing to do in your situation.

I find that I have to really resist the urge to wash my face or use an astringent on it about halfway through my workday, because of the sweating/oil issue. But, I have resisted this urge (partially because I remember from the past that everytime I'd use an astringent I'd be twice as oily later on, anyway, and also because Dan says not to)...and so when I'm at work and particularly shiny, I make a quick run to the bathroom and use a paper towel, just blotting, not rubbing. This seems to have worked fine, as I have no new breakouts.

I'm wondering if eventually, the oily thing will go away, if I keep using the benzoyl peroxide consistently in large amounts. (?) Or is oily skin oily skin, and it can't be fixed by a topical?

Zepplin, I'm in the same boat as you. By about 4 oclock I feel like I dunked my face in the crisco can, and it feels absolutely disgusting!! I've read about milk of magnesia masks and other things for oil, but I am apprehensive about trying new things on face. I don't know when you would do the MoM mask, maybe after you wash and before BP? I'm also starting to wonder if I should use a moisturizer for oily skin....Costco had Cetaphil moisturizer so I bought it, which was 2 huge pump bottles. It's only now, several months later that I notice it's for Dry skin. I have always thought it left my skin feeling kinda sticky. I don't want to switch to another moisturizer because I have a gob of this stuff. I haven't applied it to my really oily areas this week and that seems to have helped some. If you find a secret let me know.

4 o'clock, exactly! lol, it's just great fun, isn't it. I'm getting ready to try the Eucerin Skin Renewal everyone talks about, for the moisturizing part of things. Have you ever tried that? From what I'm reading, it's non-greasy, won't cause breakouts and helps with retexturizing the skin due to the Alpha Hydroxy Acids in it. I'm also wary of suddenly putting something different on my face, but I'm also getting very dry (in my regularly not-so-oily areas) and starting to flake, so I need something to calm the skin that's not going to irritate it. MoM mask...sounds interesting; I'll have to read about people's experiences with that.