Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thesimpsons

How much vitamin c do you take?

If you take vitamin c tablets/caplets/chewables, how much in mg do you take daily? I want to begin and take chewables daily. Would 4 tablets of 500mg per day (total of 2000mg) be a good amount? Or is it too much?

Note: I already drink at least 1 glass of orange juice a day but figured i'd add in vitamin c tablets in hopes that more vitamin c will help with the persisting acne, as well as red marks/indented scars i have.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

In general health terms, it has been found that we dont get enough Vit C. Taking 2,000mg a day is perfectly reasonable (I take 3,000mcg) and is good level to take.

The RDA's on products is the minimum amount we should be taking to prevent getting deficiency diseases and nothing more.

I would take a decent multivitamin alongside it though.

I take 1,000 to 2,000mg of Vitamin C a day. I'm also taking 50mg of zinc, Vitamin E, Omega 3, and a B-complex vitamin daily. I've been taking zinc E B and Omega 3 for a month I don't know that it works for my skin but vitamins are good for you either way so I'm going to keep taking them. I have noticed that vitamin E has given my skin a slight glow.

Edited by phillipj

If you take vitamin c tablets/caplets/chewables, how much in mg do you take daily? I want to begin and take chewables daily. Would 4 tablets of 500mg per day (total of 2000mg) be a good amount? Or is it too much?

You tell us how much TOTAL vitamin C you take every day, but curiously, you don't bother to tell us how oftenyou take your vitamin C! I think the dosage schedule you use (like 250 mg, every six hours versus 1 gram, once a day) is a lot more important than the total daily amount you take.

Personally, I buy 1-gram tablets from the local grocery store; first I split them into two parts (it's easy to do that, because the tablets are scored in the middle), then I split each half again into two more parts with a knife. That leaves me with quartered vitamin C tablets which are 250 milligrams each. I take a 250 mg chunk three or four times a day, approximately six hours apart. Now THAT is the way to take vitamin C! :dance:

You tell us how much TOTAL vitamin C you take every day, but curiously, you don't bother to tell us how oftenyou take your vitamin C! I think the dosage schedule you use (like 250 mg, every six hours versus 1 gram, once a day) is a lot more important than the total daily amount you take.

Personally, I buy 1-gram tablets from the local grocery store; first I split them into two parts (it's easy to do that, because the tablets are scored in the middle), then I split each half again into two more parts with a knife. That leaves me with quartered vitamin C tablets which are 250 milligrams each. I take a 250 mg chunk three or four times a day, approximately six hours apart. Now THAT is the way to take vitamin C! :dance:

I mix one half lemon and one half orange with one liter of water, and drink a glass approximately every two hours. In total I drink about two liters of citrus water per day. Now THAT is the...no I'm just asdasdas, but does anyone have any input on this kind of vitamin C intake? And does anyone know about ho much pure vitamin C is consumed from one lemon and one orange?

Probably around 100mg combined, based around what whfoods claims.

You will meet the RDA, if that's what you're going for.

You might read over this and dig deeper outside of it. Try to find out what may be good for your weight per sitting.

Aight, thank you!

I'm actually just going for a larger consumption of water, and figured that adding some citrus fruits would be a good idea. Though I eat quite a lot of stuff rich in vitamin c besides the water mix.

I would strongly suggest taking that process of getting your vitamin C by mixing orange juice and lemon juice with a lot of water with a pinch or two of salt (I mean that in the figurative sense, not the literal sense :) )! Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is notoriously unstable when mixed in solution with water for long periods of time. Either take supplements of vitamin C, or eat the whole foods that contain it. If you _must_ mix orange and lemon juice with large amounts of water (not recommended), drink it all, right away. Don't let it sit around unused for several hours at a time. Or if you _do_ do that, don't expect it to have the same amount of vitamin C in it that it did when you first mixed it! :)

I would strongly suggest taking that process of getting your vitamin C by mixing orange juice and lemon juice with a lot of water with a pinch or two of salt (I mean that in the figurative sense, not the literal sense :) )! Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is notoriously unstable when mixed in solution with water for long periods of time. Either take supplements of vitamin C, or eat the whole foods that contain it. If you _must_ mix orange and lemon juice with large amounts of water (not recommended), drink it all, right away. Don't let it sit around unused for several hours at a time. Or if you _do_ do that, don't expect it to have the same amount of vitamin C in it that it did when you first mixed it! :)

Ok thanks Bryan, I will add some salt then!

Joking. But thanks for the information, I think I'll squeeze the fruits right before I drink them from now on. :)