Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FigNewton

What worked for me

I am a 31 year old woman who has suffered from moderate acne since I was about 15. I have had acne for all of my adult life, and it has gradually only gotten worse. I have tried almost everything to relieve this, but nothing has really helped. Doxycycline helped a bit but then seemed to lose it's effectiveness, and anyway my ultimate goal was to heal myself naturally. For the past 2 years or so, I have been on no prescription medications and have just been testing natural remedies. My hormonal cystic acne was going CRAZY... I was getting GIGANTIC, face-deforming cystic acne for about half the month.. and just when my face started to clear it would flare up again. It was getting so I would make up excuses to avoid my friends and family, and even work.... I even blew off an old friends wedding. It has been a real nightmare.

After trying many, many herbal remedies and facial masks, here is what FINALLY seems to be working. Now, I don't know what about my regimen is making my skin clear, but I don't really want to eliminate anything at the risk of flaring up again (at least not right now). My face has been clearing up for the last 3 months, with only occasional break-outs that are minor.

I wash my face day and night with a Deitanseki Soap Bar. About once a week I do a French Green Clay Face Mask. About 2-3 times a week I make a mask with plain organic yogurt mixed with turmeric and fresh lemon juice if I have it. The turmeric will stain your face orange, but the Deitanseki soap gets it off, usually I have to wash it a few times to get rid of all the orange. Every morning and evening I take the following: Turmeric Capsule, Guggul Extract Capsule, Cleanse Care Capsule (from Mountain Rose Herbs), and a quality multivitamin (only once a day for the multi). I spritz my face each morning and night with organic Helichrysum hydrosol (also from Mountain Rose Herbs - the smell may be off-putting for some folks - just a warning).

I only use mineral make-up, and I use Boscia oil-free daily hydration for my moisturizer.

I know this is a lot of things to do, but after years of trials, this is what I ended up with. Considering how long I've done certain things and when I really started to see changes in what I was doing, I would say the critical parts of my regimen are: The Deitanseki Soap (this is kind of expensive, I am going to look around for a similar soap at a better price). The Turmeric/Yogurt mask. The Turmeric & Guggul capsules, and the Helichrysum hydrosol. Once I incorporated these things into my daily routine, my skin cleared up pretty fast.

If anybody has any questions please let me know. I am starting to feel so much better about myself, and my red marks are starting to fade. I am slowly getting my self-esteem back. I really recommend this to anybody like me, who has had hormonal cystic acne. I also have rosacea, and as a bonus, the hydrosol seems to be REALLY helping with the redness.

If anybody decides to try this out please let me know if it works for you, and what works for you!

being a 27 year old male, should i try some of the things that you have done? or would you recommend something else?

It sure wouldn't hurt to try. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties, which enable it to heal skin. Just do any basic internet search, and people swear by it. Guggul has good results also. Always consult your doctor if you're on any prescription drugs. Good luck!

It sure wouldn't hurt to try. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties, which enable it to heal skin. Just do any basic internet search, and people swear by it. Guggul has good results also. Always consult your doctor if you're on any prescription drugs. Good luck!

Yeah I have heard very good things about turmeric, I should really start eating it again. I have only found the raw form though and it's stains my fingers when I eat it. I might have to research a powered form or something

can you PLEASE tell me or give me links where i can get the Deitanseki soap and the other essentials to your routine?

the turmeric & guggul capsules?

the yogurt/turmeric mask ingredients??> what kind of turmeric&yogurt do you use?

Sorry to bother you so much, but do you think i should make changes to my diet?? i eat 100% whole grain oatmeal every day for breakfast and add milk to it... also eat wheat bread and cheese with many of my meals>>>

if so what could i replace my morning meals with?

can you PLEASE tell me or give me links where i can get the Deitanseki soap and the other essentials to your routine?

the turmeric & guggul capsules?

the yogurt/turmeric mask ingredients??> what kind of turmeric&yogurt do you use?

Sorry to bother you so much, but do you think i should make changes to my diet?? i eat 100% whole grain oatmeal every day for breakfast and add milk to it... also eat wheat bread and cheese with many of my meals>>>

if so what could i replace my morning meals with?

I get my turmeric & guggul capsules from mothernature.com.. they have good deals and free shipping if you spend $49..

The specific turmeric I like to buy is Product # 212037, the guggul I buy is Product # 173860 (type the product # in the search bar). I don't really think the brand matters too much though, I just prefer the vegetarian capsules.

The soap I use I purchased from Amazon, but if you're on mothernature.com anyway then Product # 242286 (black african soap), looks similar, and more affordable.

As far as yogurt goes.. any "plain" yogurt would work (I use Nancy's, but I think they may only be in Oregon).. brand doesn't really matter. As far as turmeric powder, used for your face just go to the spice section or bulk spice section and buy the most inexpensive one, since you won't be eating it it's not a big deal if it's a cheap brand.

As far as meals go.. an oatmeal breakfast sounds fine I would think! Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, less friend foods.. some dairy is fine but due to the hormones they inject into cows I'd say organic (or at least hormone free) is best, who knows what all those chemicals do to our skin. Same with meat if you eat that. I do recommend drinking Organic Green tea too (if you don't like Green Tea you might try a flavored one, such as earl gray green or another flavor).

I hope this helps. If you do try this, I really hope it works for you and I hope you'll let me know! It might take a month or two to start really seeing results, that is if your skin benefits from this the way mine does! We're all different, so sometimes different things work for different people.

Hi Fig,

Wow, that's great that you found something that works. That's interesting about the Turmeric. I think I'll have to check that out. How long before you noticed some results?

I, by the way, have had acne for about 14 years, am in my late 20s now. It's made WAY worse by hormonal changes yet birth control only helps a little. I've run the gamut, including accutane which was decent, but awful enough to not justify the little improvement.

Thanks for posting.

Hell RedViolyn,

It's kind of hard to pinpoint how long it took to get results. I was trying all sorts of herbs and masks and stuff for a long time before I finally started seeing results. I believe it was about a month after I started taking the turmeric/guggul combo and doing the turmeric/yogurt mask and using the hydrosol toner that the hormonal break-outs finally stopped.

I haven't taken anything out of my routine because I don't want to take something out that's working and end up getting massive breakouts again. I take a lot of pills every morning and night (noted in my first post), but it is totally worth it.

Now, I do still get a minor zit now and then... like last week I ate some pizza (which I never do), and I broke out in 2 decent sized zits. However, by eating normally again and using a turmeric/yogurt mask 2x a day, they went away in record time, say 2 days. Incredible, because before I would get gigiantic things that stayed for like 2 weeks and ruined my life.

I've never been on accutane but I have taken a lot of other drugs and nothing seemed to work like nature. :) Oh, and it doesn't hurt that Turmeric may help prevent Alzheimer's disease, cancer, arthritis, and other clinical disorders.

I just hope this keeps up! I you decide to try it, I'd love to hear your results!

Hi Fig,

Wow, that's great that you found something that works. That's interesting about the Turmeric. I think I'll have to check that out. How long before you noticed some results?

I, by the way, have had acne for about 14 years, am in my late 20s now. It's made WAY worse by hormonal changes yet birth control only helps a little. I've run the gamut, including accutane which was decent, but awful enough to not justify the little improvement.

Thanks for posting.

FIGNEWTON - you look BEAUTIFUL and i'm not just saying that because i keep bothering you, but because it's true and it's what came to mind when i saw your pic.

My question is, where do you get the Hydrosol toner??? Helichrysum, i believe you informed us was the type, correct?

It's great that you finally cured your acne fignewton. However, I believe it may have to do with the yogurt mask, yogurt is the best dairy source for zinc. I'm sure in the near future peope will realize low zinc levels cause acne.

DAN B - i heard that too >>> about the Zinc levels...

so how would you recommed to up my Zinc levels because i'm sure i could use more ZINC. Pills?? or what kind of food??

another quick question>> would you or FIGNEWTON recommend me doing the yogurt mask even if i intend to completely CUT OUT ALL Dairy from my Diet?

HELLO, ITS GOOD THAT THIS TREATMENT IS HELPING U. I 24/M TRIED NEEM FACE MASK ITS REALLY GENTLE ON RED MARKS U SHOULD TRY THIS .HOPE IT HELPS U . KEEP IN TOUCH

DAN B - i heard that too >>> about the Zinc levels...

so how would you recommed to up my Zinc levels because i'm sure i could use more ZINC. Pills?? or what kind of food??

another quick question>> would you or FIGNEWTON recommend me doing the yogurt mask even if i intend to completely CUT OUT ALL Dairy from my Diet?

Either take a zinc supplement. make sure you don't take over 100 mg of zinc daily tho because it could be dangerous. Another way to increase zinc levels is by diet. A lot of crap foods like caffeine, sugar, some dairy products reduce zinc absorption. Try having a green smoothie (salad, kale, collads, basically anythng that is green leaf, the darker the leaf the more nutruious the leaf is) in the morning everyday

I did not read all of your post because i have to get going here (skimmed through it though) but i am 30 years old and sick of my skin! it got out of control and even being on birth control (2 different types over the last 7 months) didnt do that much help.

I break out bad during ovulation and right now am clearing up since i started my cycle. ugh

I guess my diet has not been great *also not terrible either* but I am starting to wonder if diet soda and mixed alcoholic drinks are the reason here for my skin since i drink nothing but diet soda

Sito - Thank you! I got the Hydrosol from mountainroseherbs.com. I suppose you could use another base for your turmeric mask if you did not want to use yogurt, such as just water, honey, egg, or some sort of oil.

Dan - I'm not sure how big of a roll the yogurt plays. I have been eating yogurt most of my life and still have had acne. For me at least, I think the turmeric plays a pretty big role.

Leet - Diet soda and alcohol are probably not helping your skin problems at all, alcohol and caffeine not only block zinc absorption but other minerals/vitamins as well. Aspartame is bad too, try drinking plain sparkling water or Diet Steaz (sweetened with stevia, a natural sweetener). Many of us like a mixed drink now and then, just do it in moderation. :) The only things I drink on a regular basis are carbonated plain water (I own a Sodastream soda maker), and my own brewed Iced Tea.

Thanks,

Sorry other quick questions... how long do you leave the mask on? I know turmeric stains, so is it only certain cleansers that will remove it?

I want to try this masking!

Hi RedViolyn,

I generally mix the yogurt and turmeric, scrub my skin with it to exfoliate (optional), and leave it on for 10-15 minutes or until dry. I usually do this in the morning and wash it off in the shower with my Deitanseki Soap Bar, washing it twice generally gets all the stain off. I think as long as you use a good enough soap you won't have problems with stains, if you use something too gentle though (like Cetaphil) it might not get all the orange off. :) It might be best to try this mask for the first time at a time you don't have to go anywhere after, like on your day off.

Just as a side note, I have been doing this mask lately 3-4x a week and I have been noticing that between that and the hydrosol, my pores appear smaller and less noticible (I know pores don't technically "shrink", but it sure looks like they did!).

Thanks,

Sorry other quick questions... how long do you leave the mask on? I know turmeric stains, so is it only certain cleansers that will remove it?

Hi RedViolyn,

I generally mix the yogurt and turmeric, scrub my skin with it to exfoliate (optional), and leave it on for 10-15 minutes or until dry. I usually do this in the morning and wash it off in the shower with my Deitanseki Soap Bar, washing it twice generally gets all the stain off. I think as long as you use a good enough soap you won't have problems with stains, if you use something too gentle though (like Cetaphil) it might not get all the orange off. :) It might be best to try this mask for the first time at a time you don't have to go anywhere after, like on your day off.

Just as a side note, I have been doing this mask lately 3-4x a week and I have been noticing that between that and the hydrosol, my pores appear smaller and less noticible (I know pores don't technically "shrink", but it sure looks like they did!).

Thanks,

Using the acne.org Regimen + adding Acnescript helped my skin out a ton man my face is 90% clear i now have just 12-13 tiny Blackheads left and all of them are going away im so happy now

I have had no problems with staining, as long as you use a good soap (not something too gentle), and you may need to wash twice.. I have had no problems at all with staining and I do the mask several times a week. I recommend doing the mask right before you shower so you can make sure to get it washed off well.

I usually leave the mask on 10-15 mins or until dry.

Edited by FigNewton

FIG - what do you take the turmeric and guggul capsules with, in terms of food??

is there anything you SHOULD NOT take it with?

Hi Fig,

So I've been trying the yogurt mask and the turmeric caps, and so far no good news. The yogurt mask seemed to dry me out a lot. (Although it's also gotten colder, so it's hard to determine what it is...)

I'm going to stay with it for a little while. I'm also taking a multivitamin, biotin, and flax seed oil. Have been on those for a while and haven't noticed any improvement. I wonder if it's time to stop them... anyways, I also wanted to see how much turmeric you are taking a day?

Thanks!

Hi Fig,

So I've been trying the yogurt mask and the turmeric caps, and so far no good news. The yogurt mask seemed to dry me out a lot. (Although it's also gotten colder, so it's hard to determine what it is...)

I'm going to stay with it for a little while. I'm also taking a multivitamin, biotin, and flax seed oil. Have been on those for a while and haven't noticed any improvement. I wonder if it's time to stop them... anyways, I also wanted to see how much turmeric you are taking a day?

Thanks!

Hi RedViolyn,

I'm sorry that the yogurt mask has dried out your skin! I have oily skin, so I don't have that problem. I've kind of slacked off on doing the mask lately, and my skin isn't getting any worse, so I don't know how helpful it is anyway. Now I'm only doing it about once a week. I do like using the turmeric as a gentle exfoliant. I usually put on a gentle moisturizer after I do the mask, have you been moisturizing? I use Beauty Naturally Rosacea Moisturizing Cream at night.

I am buying my Turmeric from Mountain Rose Herbs (I don't know the mg off hand), and at first I was taking 2 capsules each morning and 2 each evening... now I'm only doing the 2 in the evening and that seems to be enough to maintain. I did run out of Turmeric for about a week, and while I was waiting for it to be delivered I got a few small breakouts.. so I am pretty sure Turmeric is having an effect. I ran out of the Guggul a week ago and haven't ordered any more, so now I will be able to tell if Guggul is actually helping my skin (like if I start breaking out again).

I haven't had even one cyst in about 3 months. I have had some tiny surface zits now and then, but they don't last long and are easily covered up. I stopped eating all meat and have greatly reduced my dairy intake, that could be helping things along too (due to hormones/toxins). I am also still taking a multi-vitamin, and trying to eat a lot of fresh fruit/vegetables.

I have real faith in Turmeric and think you should stick with it at least another month, taking the full recommended amount every day. Everybody's skin is different, so the same thing won't work for everyone. But please give Turmeric a chance! :)

Edited by FigNewton

Um, so after being off Guggul for a few weeks I now have a big "cyst" on my chin.. it's not as big as some I have had in the past, but it really sucks. It's the first one I've had in months! I quickly ordered some more Guggul and am now kicking myself for going off it. Never again! I'm more convinced than ever now that it is the Guggul Turmeric combo that is working for me. I should have known Guggul was helping - after all, in tests it's shown to work a lot like doxycycline. Now I get to celebrate New Years with a giant bump on my face. :(

For anyone interesting in taking Guggul- it has some estrogen-like effects. Please Google guggul and view the possible side effects, especially if you have any thyroid problems. I have had no side effects from taking Guggul.