Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ducky8989

Question for the knowledgeable!

My dermatologist told me that it was ok for me to continue to use my tazorac a couple of times a week even after I started accutane as long as I wasn't getting dry or irritated. I have been doing this with no problems.

My question is this.. I have heard that part of how topical retinoids (like taz and retin a) work is that they speed up the production of skin cells. At the same time, I have also heard that part of how accutane works is by slowing down the production of skin cells.

So I'm wondering, is using these two things concurrently cancelling each other out? Or is the tazorac undermining what the accutane is trying to do?

Any insight would be very very appreciated!!

I have been using retin a for many years.

Like you, i have heard that retin a spead up production of cells. I think it rather speads up the shedding of old cells and makes them less sticky. There are excellent articles about retin a on dermadoctor.com.

I have never read or heard that accutane slows down cell production.

As for my own expericence, i have been on accutane and i did continue to use retin a a few times a week during my first month of accutane. I dont think they would cancel each other out. I think it might augment the effect, since they are 2 vitamin A based products.

It got to be too irritating during my second accutane month, so i stopped the retin a for the rest of my accutaine treatment. I started using it again after accutane was done, and it has helped keep the skin very beautiful.

It aslo cleared up the scars very fast.

I have been using retin a for many years.

Like you, i have heard that retin a spead up production of cells. I think it rather speads up the shedding of old cells and makes them less sticky. There are excellent articles about retin a on dermadoctor.com.

I have never read or heard that accutane slows down cell production.

As for my own expericence, i have been on accutane and i did continue to use retin a a few times a week during my first month of accutane. I dont think they would cancel each other out. I think it might augment the effect, since they are 2 vitamin A based products.

It got to be too irritating during my second accutane month, so i stopped the retin a for the rest of my accutaine treatment. I started using it again after accutane was done, and it has helped keep the skin very beautiful.

It aslo cleared up the scars very fast.

Thanks for the input! What you say about retin-a speeding up the shedding, rather than production of cells makes sense to me.

I read on the acne.org site that accutane slows down cell production. the link to the page is http://www.acne.org/accutane.html

i have been on accutane now for a little over 2 months and have been using tazorac once or twice a week with no problems so I'll see how it goes. I am definitely seeing improvement but still have a ways to go.

Thanks again!

Tazorac and Roaccutane are both retinoid drugs which are derivatives of Vitamin A. The only difference is that Tazorac is topical and Roaccutane is an oral/systemic preparation. They both work by speeding up the differentiation of the epithelial cells which make up the outer layer of the skin. So to answer your question they will work in harmony rather than counteracting each other. This is why your skin can get excessively dry if you use both together. I think that article link is a little unclear- as roaccutane can slow the production of the sebaceous gland cells which produce the oil on your skin and not the actual epithelial skin cells themselves. This stops the pores getting so clogged with oil and so helps reduce acne as well as the other effect of increasing epithelial cell turn over. Hope that helps?

Tazorac and Roaccutane are both retinoid drugs which are derivatives of Vitamin A. The only difference is that Tazorac is topical and Roaccutane is an oral/systemic preparation. They both work by speeding up the differentiation of the epithelial cells which make up the outer layer of the skin. So to answer your question they will work in harmony rather than counteracting each other. This is why your skin can get excessively dry if you use both together. I think that article link is a little unclear- as roaccutane can slow the production of the sebaceous gland cells which produce the oil on your skin and not the actual epithelial skin cells themselves. This stops the pores getting so clogged with oil and so helps reduce acne as well as the other effect of increasing epithelial cell turn over. Hope that helps?

Innnnnteresting. So what exactly is the difference between sebaceous gland cells and epithelial skin cells?

Thanks a lot this is great information!