Notifications
Clear all

How many times should I wash my face? And can dryness worsen acne?

MemberMember
(@rooo)

Posted : 11/11/2010 3:13 pm

Hi,

I used to wash my face like 4 times per day. Now I`m doing it 3 times a day, 9 am, 3 pm and 10 pm aprox.

Is this too much? Should I quit the 3 pm washing? Or maybe just use warm water without cleaners?

Usually my skin remains dry after the washes due to BP and other topicals and after an hour the dryness cedes.

Could this dryness be leading to the formation of new pimples?

thanks

MemberMember
(@rooo)

Posted : 11/11/2010 3:52 pm

thanks Ashley, I`m a little bit afraid but I think I will have to try it. I can`t stand seeing my face with a layer of oil after midday so at least I think I`ll clean the oil with a little of warm water.

I never use BP during the day, only at night 3 days a week aprox, should I use something during the day?

MemberMember
(@rooo)

Posted : 11/11/2010 10:24 pm

Hi Ashley, you have helped me a lot these days

On 2006 I used accutane for my chest acne. Before that my back and my face acne was perfectly under control and I had lot of days in a month with my face absolutely perfect using any soap I would buy at the supermarket.

After accutane, not only my chest acne did not improve but also made my face and back acne uncontrollable with lots of zits every week.

On 2007 I started using Eucerin products (alternated with ordinary soaps) for a couple of months and I saw an improvement on my face but not an improvement so significant so I decided to use again any soap. Maybe it was my fault as I only used it 2 months or less and didnAt use BP or almost anything

Well, big mistake returning to ordinary soaps, my zits started getting really worse and a couple of scars appeared. Then, on october 2007 a derm suggested me to use a shampoo that contains tea tree oil. Well, at that moment that was great, it improved my zits a lot. The zits did not disappear but they were smaller and more controllable than before and would not lead to scarring. This shampoo is pretty strong I think, it is an antispetic and is used for dandruff but if you read the package it says that it kills the acne bacteria and every gram positive and negative bacterias as well as staphylococcus and streptococus and kills fungus, etc.

Since then I never stopped using it. Maybe itAs too harsh to use at this point and maybe is time to change to another cleanser but I have been afraid of changing it. I have been thinking of starting using Eucerin products. Maybe now that almost 4 years have passed and that my acne is better than in those days it could be a good change. Maybe at first use at morning tea tree oil shampoo and at night eucerin or viceversa and if I see good results try to use only the eucerin products.

I donAt know what to do, maybe this tea tree oil shampoo is saving me of getting worse acne but on the other hand maybe is being too harsh on my skin producing some breakouts. If itAs useful to evaluate the situation I have never had a face full of red zits and pimples. ItAs more like those cases that you only see the zits and pimples if you look closer and pay attention, but they are there and some really big which take weeks too heal.

Also in these last two months 3 pimples had led to scarring, strange thing in my skin that before that only had 3 scars from the worst moments of my face acne and that were produced by cysts. These latest pimples that left me with scars were big but until a couple of months ago thay would have healed perfectly. This also make me afraid of leaving the shampoo and worsen things. IAm 24, could healing quality being starting to decline as consequence of being 24 years old?

Of course this affects me so much because I have a really messy acne on my chest. Maybe if my chest was clear I wouldnAt be so self conscious about my face acne or at least I would me more patient and focused in order to eliminate it.

What do you think?

thanks

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 11/11/2010 11:12 pm

This isn't about the acne.org regimen. Moved to mild to moderate acne.

It seems the tea tree oil shampoo is helping keep you clear. I personally would not stop it.

Twice a day cleansing is sufficient. I wouldn't even rinse in the middle of the day. Just BLOT the oil off, don't rinse. Blotting really helps. :) You can use plain old tissue paper, real blotting papers, or just those toilet-seat covers from public restrooms. Cut them up and carry around with you. Works great!

MemberMember
(@bear06)

Posted : 11/12/2010 12:51 am

I think you should wash your face with your cleanser in the morning and night and just rinse with water in the afternoon.

MemberMember
(@mlerman)

Posted : 04/14/2014 12:50 am

how many times should I use my acne.org regimen each day?? please answer soon. thanks

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 04/14/2014 2:08 am

how many times should I use my acne.org regimen each day?? please answer soon. thanks

The regimen should be used twice a day - but for the first week or so, just apply a small amount of BP at night but still use cleanser and moisturiser in the morning (so cleanser, BP, moisturiser at night and just cleanser and moisturiser in the morning for the first week)

Check the instructions here http://www.acne.org/regimen

MemberMember
(@nup123)

Posted : 04/14/2014 9:55 am

I think washing your face more than 2 times a day may overdry and irritate acne.

MemberMember
(@brittnynicole)

Posted : 04/14/2014 1:44 pm

Just two times is enough and be sure to pat dry not rub plus dryness does contribute to breakouts cause when your face is dry your oil glands go crazy which is bad.

MemberMember
(@twigster)

Posted : 04/14/2014 2:33 pm

You should only do it twice a day, to much can make your skin worse.

First thing in the morning, and last thing at night before you go to bed.

Hope this helps

Sam

MemberMember
(@gymrat3)

Posted : 04/15/2014 8:48 am

Ever thought of just showering once a day? Switching everything up completely? There's nothing worse then dry skin..it's painful, caused redness, and just doesn't look good. I used to have ridiculous dry skin with very bad acne along my jaw lines and under my lip and I said screw it one day and started to just shower once a day, or twice if I exercised.

I stopped scrubbing and irritating my face, and instead put the shower on cold and kept my face under it for about 10 seconds.

That was a year ago..today I don't have anything active and honestly, it feels 100x better being able to just jump into bed at night instead of staring in the mirror and scrubbing at my face.

Try it

MemberMember
(@doctorbrenda)

Posted : 04/15/2014 11:56 pm

Washing your face more than twice a day can actually irritate your skin and lead to a more severe case of acne. You should wash your face in the morning and again before bed. And definitely wash your pillows and sheets at least once a week. This is an often overlooked easy solution to helping clear up blemishes.