Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Timehealsall

anyone here taken antibiotics and made their acne a lot worse?

Guest Timehealsall

I was wondering if anyone on here took antibiotics and their acne got way worse? I am not talking about the initial breakout stage, i am talking about worse for a long period of time, i.e. many months

Yes. While using each antibiotic there was a period of time where it just stopped working. This is where you become resistant. After this my acne would just get progressively worse...worse than before taking the antibiotic. Minocycline definitely topped all. I had moderate/severe acne for awhile after becoming resistant. The problem is that the worse it gets, the more you have to keep going back for more because you feel overwhelmed going from barely any acne to a whole face-full. Once you're clear/semi-clear on antibiotics you'll do anything to get that again. My advice would be to use them with caution and for only short periods of time. It is also important to eat healthy and take a good probiotic during the course and afterward. If your immunity is strongly affected by the antibiotic, this will probably result in more acne. Some people react worse than others. It really depends on your lifestyle and genes. I had a bad reaction and constantly lost immunity from each dose. I can't say that isn't to be expected by how much I have taken but I definitely didn't eat a healthy diet that would heal my gut in any way shape or form during this time.

Anyway, I think antibiotics should be really only left to people with serious skin conditions. Antibiotic resistance is becoming to common and there are too many dangerous infections out there. Acne won't kill you so if you can avoid taking antibiotics, I would. If you want to do a course to get clear and take some vitamins or something to help you stay clear (if you find something that works) then that might be an okay idea.

Guest Timehealsall
Yes. While using each antibiotic there was a period of time where it just stopped working. This is where you become resistant. After this my acne would just get progressively worse...worse than before taking the antibiotic. Minocycline definitely topped all. I had moderate/severe acne for awhile after becoming resistant. The problem is that the worse it gets, the more you have to keep going back for more because you feel overwhelmed going from barely any acne to a whole face-full. Once you're clear/semi-clear on antibiotics you'll do anything to get that again. My advice would be to use them with caution and for only short periods of time. It is also important to eat healthy and take a good probiotic during the course and afterward. If your immunity is strongly affected by the antibiotic, this will probably result in more acne. Some people react worse than others. It really depends on your lifestyle and genes. I had a bad reaction and constantly lost immunity from each dose. I can't say that isn't to be expected by how much I have taken but I definitely didn't eat a healthy diet that would heal my gut in any way shape or form during this time.

Anyway, I think antibiotics should be really only left to people with serious skin conditions. Antibiotic resistance is becoming to common and there are too many dangerous infections out there. Acne won't kill you so if you can avoid taking antibiotics, I would. If you want to do a course to get clear and take some vitamins or something to help you stay clear (if you find something that works) then that might be an okay idea.

how long were you on your antibiotics for? I am currently on doxy 100 mg 2x a day for 3 and half months.

I am also taking probiotics (culturelle) 1x a day 2 hours before the antibiotics. Also i do eat relatively healthy. Have you taken doxycycline? How bad did your acne get after you finished it?

Also i am currently taking antibiotics and the same time im on the acne.org regimen. So basically i will stop antibiotics in 2 months and hope the regimen keeps me clear till then..

I took them for much longer than that. I became immune to doxy quite quickly. My acne didn't get significantly worse after it (not that I really remember) but I would just make sure you don't stay on them too long. Culturelle worked okay for me. It was too expensive to keep taking, though.

My acne definately hasnt gotten better from them. been on doryx/doxy for 3 months. Im getting off of it and just fixing to fucking deal with the breakouts and get back to my natural homeostasis. Hoping my face will be clear via good diet and exercise.

Guest Timehealsall

did you natural homeostasis clear it before? If it did, why not just stick to that/

Unfortunately that does not work for me..

All I know for sure is that before I started taking doryx I never had as many breakouts as ive had the last 3 months while on it. IM just going to pray and TRY my best to stay positive but im SO selfconcious its almost unbearable

I took them for much longer than that. I became immune to doxy quite quickly. My acne didn't get significantly worse after it (not that I really remember) but I would just make sure you don't stay on them too long. Culturelle worked okay for me. It was too expensive to keep taking, though.

My Body became immune to doxy/mino in no time at all. Saw initial clearings, but it certainly found a way around those two prescripts. I didnt care for them dissolving in my esophogus if I didnt get it down all the way either. What pain that was :(