Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sconduct

Updated: Accutane Log 20/M

EDIT: My questions/inquiry post has become a personal log.

Hi all,

I'm a 19 year-old university student in Toronto. For the last 3 years or so, I've suffered from fairly mild yet consistent cystic acne. It actually isn't that bad at the moment, but at any given time, I usually have 3-5 cysts on either my cheeks or neck (yet my forehead is always clear). After trying numerous prescription topicals with no luck, my dermatologist has finally prescribed me a mild dose of Accutane to do the trick.

I am very, very nervous. I had the blood work done today and I'm not 100% sure yet if I'm going to go through with it. I go back next week to pick it up. I've tried Dan's BP regimen, which didn't do much. Then I was prescribed Clindoxyl for 3 months, which helped in a minor way but nothing terribly noticeable. Plus I think it was prolonging my red marks. Anywho...

My questions/comments/concerns:

1) Can I take a multivitamin (currently taking Jameson Regular Vita-Vims) on Accutane, or would the vitamin A in them be too risky? What vitamins can I use? Are there supplements you would recommend?

2) Should I stick with Cetaphil cleanser? I've gone back and forth between the oily/gentle versions but haven't noticed much difference.

3) I currently use Neutrogena Oil-Free moisturizer. Will I need a moisturizer for Accutane? If so, is this one alright?

4) Can I excersie/work out while on Accutane? I am 6'4", 195lbs and try to stay active by jogging. Will this be an issue?

5) Are there any products/techniques/words of wisdom you would recommend to a nervous newbie?

:) Thanks.

Edited by Sconduct

Hey dude,

Can't answer any of your questions but just felt a need to respond to your post. You just sounded exactly like me. I honestly thought I was reading my own post to be. I'm a fellow 19 year old student in Toronto (UofT) that is about to go on Accutane and about your height. weird.

I can say that your acne doesn't look that bad though. Good luck dude.

Btw, what dose are they starting you on?

I'll be starting my own log soon time.

hi!

1) i would defiantly not take a multivitamin. u are gunna be overloaded with vitamin A through tane is its dangerous to have any more. but there are other vitamins u can take. i can these and if u google them they all have a connection to helping skin/redmarks: (vitamin E, C, D3, Fish oil, and zinc)

2) cetaphil is good so is cerave or dove

3) hmm might be fine since ur on a low dose. but if u need more moisturize cerave moisturizing lotion or cream are great

4) u can defiantly excerise just keep an eye out for joint pain

5) BE PATIENT. number one rule. im on my second round of tane. first was for mild/moderate acne now its just mild persistant and occasional cyst but im on again... ive tried everything under the sun. But on my first course i didn't notice real change till like month 3/4 so being patient is huge. LOTS OF WATER. don't drink alot.. just be careful with it. umm. honestly if anything goes wrong they will take u off accutane. and they are monitoring u so dont worry. plus ur gunna be on a low dose.

Welcome, and good luck! :)

1) Can I take a multivitamin (currently taking Jameson Regular Vita-Vims) on Accutane, or would the vitamin A in them be too risky? What vitamins can I use? Are there supplements you would recommend?

It is discouraged by everyone to take multivitamins for the reason you stated. Accutane is a vitamin A overdose and multivitamins contain Vitamin A. All I took during my course was Vitamin E. I've heard fish oil be highly recommended for joint pain and absorption but I can't vouch for it first hand. Pretty much anything is good for you except multivitamins that contain Vitamin A.

2) Should I stick with Cetaphil cleanser? I've gone back and forth between the oily/gentle versions but haven't noticed much difference.

I used Cetaphil (both the cleanser and moisturizer) and have nothing negative to say. My face never got oily or dry while using them during my treatment.

3) I currently use Neutrogena Oil-Free moisturizer. Will I need a moisturizer for Accutane? If so, is this one alright?

Ooops, I answered this in two, kinda. i used the Cetaphil moisturizer.

4) Can I excersie/work out while on Accutane? I am 6'4", 195lbs and try to stay active by jogging. Will this be an issue?

Hmm, this is really up to you. I love running, but during Accutane my joints because very painful and I had a lot of backaches so I had to stop. I recommend giving it a try but taking it easy if you experience pain.

5) Are there any products/techniques/words of wisdom you would recommend to a nervous newbie?

I recommend Aquaphor for your lips, it's the best i've found. Put it on before bed and you'll have brand new lips in the morning! Drink a ton of water. This is really the best thing that you can do for your body. During my treatment side effects came and went. The ones that stuck around were the dryness though, that didn't go away. Dry lips, dry hands, dry eyes, dry nose. I also experience back pain, joint pain, headaches, nausea, dizziness but those all went away within a week. If you experience those give them time, they will likely go away. But don't expect the dryness to go away, take care of if before it gets worse.

Oh, and don't be nervous! Treatment is really not too bad. Keep in contact with your dermatologist, and don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how dumb you think they are.

And again, good luck!

Hey dude,

Can't answer any of your questions but just felt a need to respond to your post. You just sounded exactly like me. I honestly thought I was reading my own post to be. I'm a fellow 19 year old student in Toronto (UofT) that is about to go on Accutane and about your height. weird.

I can say that your acne doesn't look that bad though. Good luck dude.

Btw, what dose are they starting you on?

I'll be starting my own log soon time.

Hey,

I'm not sure what dose I'm starting on but they said it was low. He's weighing me next week and writing the prescription then. Though the consolation nurse even said to me beforehand, that even though the topicals didn't work, the doc probably wouldn't suggest accutane because my acne didn't seem that bad. But, doctor knows best, right?

Good luck to you too!

Edited by Sconduct

hi!

1) i would defiantly not take a multivitamin. u are gunna be overloaded with vitamin A through tane is its dangerous to have any more. but there are other vitamins u can take. i can these and if u google them they all have a connection to helping skin/redmarks: (vitamin E, C, D3, Fish oil, and zinc)

2) cetaphil is good so is cerave or dove

3) hmm might be fine since ur on a low dose. but if u need more moisturize cerave moisturizing lotion or cream are great

4) u can defiantly excerise just keep an eye out for joint pain

5) BE PATIENT. number one rule. im on my second round of tane. first was for mild/moderate acne now its just mild persistant and occasional cyst but im on again... ive tried everything under the sun. But on my first course i didn't notice real change till like month 3/4 so being patient is huge. LOTS OF WATER. don't drink alot.. just be careful with it. umm. honestly if anything goes wrong they will take u off accutane. and they are monitoring u so dont worry. plus ur gunna be on a low dose.

Hey,

Thanks for the advice! I've been looking into fish oil lately, so thanks for the suggestion. I hope it helped you.

Welcome, and good luck! :)

It is discouraged by everyone to take multivitamins for the reason you stated. Accutane is a vitamin A overdose and multivitamins contain Vitamin A. All I took during my course was Vitamin E. I've heard fish oil be highly recommended for joint pain and absorption but I can't vouch for it first hand. Pretty much anything is good for you except multivitamins that contain Vitamin A.

I used Cetaphil (both the cleanser and moisturizer) and have nothing negative to say. My face never got oily or dry while using them during my treatment.

Ooops, I answered this in two, kinda. i used the Cetaphil moisturizer.

Hmm, this is really up to you. I love running, but during Accutane my joints because very painful and I had a lot of backaches so I had to stop. I recommend giving it a try but taking it easy if you experience pain.

I recommend Aquaphor for your lips, it's the best i've found. Put it on before bed and you'll have brand new lips in the morning! Drink a ton of water. This is really the best thing that you can do for your body. During my treatment side effects came and went. The ones that stuck around were the dryness though, that didn't go away. Dry lips, dry hands, dry eyes, dry nose. I also experience back pain, joint pain, headaches, nausea, dizziness but those all went away within a week. If you experience those give them time, they will likely go away. But don't expect the dryness to go away, take care of if before it gets worse.

Oh, and don't be nervous! Treatment is really not too bad. Keep in contact with your dermatologist, and don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how dumb you think they are.

And again, good luck!

Hey,

Thank you for this VERY detailed writeup. I will definitely check out Aquaphor as it's winter here and I already go through chap stick pretty quickly as it is. Also, thanks for the reassurance. I've never been on anything this heavy before. So, thanks! And I hope it helped you.

Hi there :)

1st I can tell you I know exactly how you feel, I had cystic acne when I was 12-15 and it SUCKED! The only thing I could do to get it to go away was Accutane. It was the best thing I did. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it worked wonders for me. The only side affect I noticed was that my skin was really dry and I had drymouth sometimes. Nothing huge, I was still the same person.

1) I don't think i'd take a multivitamin, if you REALLY want to, I'd ask your doc.

2) I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use Cetaphil. I'm suprised your doctor didn't prescribe anything else aside from the Accutane, but I've heard a ton of people have success with Cetaphil. I've used the cetaphil moisturizer, but as for me I'm using Proactiv and I love it.

3) I'd def. use a moisturizer while on Accutane. The Cetaphil moisurizer was nice, but anything that says "oil free, non-comedogenic, or hypo-allergenic" should be safe for acne prone skin.

4) Accutane never inhibited any kind of physical activity that I wanted to do, I don't see why you couldn't. If you notice a change in how you feel while excercising, I'd just be cautious about it.

5) Don't be scared! The worst side affects I remember having is just being dry. Don't be afraid or feel stupid to ask your doctor any questions you may have! I love Lip Medex by blistex for dry lips, and again any moisturizer that's oil free, non-comedogenic or hypoallergenic should be good for you. Oh and drink LOTS of water! Even when youre off the accutane, it's obviously good for your skin but since you'll be dryer than normal while on the accutane, drinking loads of water will help. I'm excited for you and really wish you the best of luck!

Edited by Sarah R.H

Thanks for the replies. Just got back from the pharmacy, I'm starting at only 10mg/day for the first three weeks or so. I don't expect a lot to change all that soon, but I'll try my best to keep this post updated with pics and information.

Hi! Good luck with your treatment! :D

People gave you really good advice...just wanna add that my pharmacist recommended getting some eye drops and nasal lubricant in order to help with the dryness and prevent having nose bleeds. They've been helping me a lot so far. The dryness in my eyes was even giving me headaches, but with the eye drops I've been feeling ok.

Hope that helps!

I just talked with a friend of mine, who I remember going on accutane in the summer. I hadn't heard from him since then, and decided to discuss it. He has severe acne, and was put on 10mg a month for 6 months. But by midway through the 4th month, he noticed he was already clear, and was feeling depressed so he went off them. It's been two months and he's still clear.

That gives me hope!

Slight update: Day 5. No side effects yet. No new acne, either, which is nice. Dreading the potential IB. Taking fish oil pills and drinking lots of water. So far, so good.

good luck man im 3 weeks into my course and im starting to heal up nicely. im only on 20 mgs and as of right now i have 1-2 actives :D

dont worry about the side effects but in saying so keep a close eye on anything unusual and talk to your doc about it lol. I go to fleming college up in peterborough but know a few that go to UoT.

Anyways, keep it real man and try not to think about ur acne too often. Also, ive been trying not to read horrid stories on accutane lately, complete bs although happens to a few people.

Edited by keiko1

good luck man im 3 weeks into my course and im starting to heal up nicely. im only on 20 mgs and as of right now i have 1-2 actives :D

dont worry about the side effects but in saying so keep a close eye on anything unusual and talk to your doc about it lol. I go to fleming college up in peterborough but know a few that go to UoT.

Anyways, keep it real man and try not to think about ur acne too often. Also, ive been trying not to read horrid stories on accutane lately, complete bs although happens to a few people.

Thanks man!

So, the last day or two, the lymph nodes in my neck have gotten kind of swollen and sore. I'm not sure if this is from the Accutane or if I'm getting sick (which never happens), but I'll give it a bit of time.

I'd always err on the side of caution and call your derm. She may just take you off of it until you un-swell and then get back on it and see if it returns? I had to do that when I had negative side effects. But it's better to be safe than sorry!

Update: Day 10

So my swollen lymph nodes went away and turned into a sore throat, so I guess it was just a common sickness kinda thing. But that's going away too and I'm feeling better.

Acne-wise, not much has happened. One new active, but other than that, not much to report. I'm only on 10mg right now so my lips/skin being dry aren't even really an issue... yet.

Uptade: Day 17

Pretty sure I got my IB over the weekend (at least I hope so). About 5 new actives, mostly on right side. I don't have a camera handy at the moment (but you can take my word for it :P).

Side effects: Nothing major. Lips are kinda chapped and that's about it. Still only on 10mg to start. Not sure what I'm moving up to in the second month, but likely 40mg.

And now, back to my final exams. :boohoo:

Update: Day 25

That breakout seems to be slowing down. Actives tend to be taking longer to heal. Still have some red marks and very minor scarring.

Though I have a question. Shortly before I started taking Accutane, I had 2 small actives in this area: (See picture. No, that's not me -- like I said, no camera handy at the moment.)

post-109217-1292090356_thumb.jpg

I think was caused by my sunglasses. Anyways, they've since turned into hard bumps. I tried to pop one but it was too hard, and they are not going away. What can I do? I also have one on my shoulder, which has been there for a couple months.

post-109217-1292090356_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sconduct

Hey

I started on 10 mg also so I thought I would be lucky and avoid an IB and any neg side affects. But about 2 weeks in I got a bloody nose and 3 weeks in got dry lips and drier skin. Now im at 38 days and still have save break outs and dry skin. So even tho its a low dose, its still doing its thing!