Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
itzmarylicious

Advice for my Tazorac experience

Hi Everyone, I usually don't write on the message boards; I tend to look around and look for advice. I have definitely been struggling with my skin for the past few months and just was looking for some advice on my skin please.

I am in my mid 20s and have been struggling with acne since I can remember. Last summer, around end of June I was prescribed retin a 0.1% cream along with doxycycline 25mg (twice a day) and sprinalactone at night and I also used clindamycin lotion in the morning. It seemed like a lot of medication at the time but I kept up with it and by September my skin was 100% clear. I barely got pimples and my skin was smooth and never looked better!

Then earlier this year around March my skin started breaking out again, nothing horrible but I guess i wasn't used to breaking out so I went to the dermatologist in mid April. He said he would switch me to Tazorac since it was stronger. I've been on it ever since. At first my skin got a little clearer but then around August my skin started getting a lot of clogged pores from the temples to the chin area. In addition I would get some pimples here and there. I couldn't stand it but I held it out for 2 months and went to the doctor last month. I saw another dermatologist but at the same doctor office. He said that full results usually take a year on Tazorac and gave me a new morning mediciation, benacyin (?). Since then my skin has been crazy....the clogged pores has def gone down but I am getting new pimples all the time.

My quesitons are:

-How long does the purging stage last? Is it weird to have the purging stage this late after using tazorac for 6 moths?

- Does this mean that tazorac doesn't work for me and I should go back to Retin A?

- Has anyone have/had a similar experience with tazorac?

Thank you guys so much! I am so frustrated these days about my skin, it just seems like nothing is working for me. I am so lost as what I should do. :(

Hey there! I am really sorry that I do not have an answer for your question, since i have only been on Tazorac for almost 2 months now. I havent really seen much improvement since starting, so i was wondering how it went for you?

Did you stop using it and go back to Retin-A?

Or did it finally start to really improve?