Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greg1979

Skin much redder since laser resurfacing

Hi,

I had severe acne years ago and still have minor acne now (I'm 31) Now my main concern is the redness I get across my cheeks. They've always gone red (especially after exercise) but in the last couple of years I've had 2 laser skin resurfacing ops. Since then the redness has got a lot worse. It's just across my cheeks but I can feel a burning sensation when I really get a flush. I've noticed niacin really makes it worse, especially in energy drinks, so I try to avoid stuff like that. Does anyone know how to lessen it or why the laser resurfacing would make it much worse than it was? Or maybe it's just a coincidence and it's actually something else that has made it worse? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Greg

Hi,

I had severe acne years ago and still have minor acne now (I'm 31) Now my main concern is the redness I get across my cheeks. They've always gone red (especially after exercise) but in the last couple of years I've had 2 laser skin resurfacing ops. Since then the redness has got a lot worse. It's just across my cheeks but I can feel a burning sensation when I really get a flush. I've noticed niacin really makes it worse, especially in energy drinks, so I try to avoid stuff like that. Does anyone know how to lessen it or why the laser resurfacing would make it much worse than it was? Or maybe it's just a coincidence and it's actually something else that has made it worse? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Greg

Yip laser resurfacing doesn't usually improve matters if you are already prone to pinkness or rosacea symptoms like flushing. Laser resurfacing actualy thins the skin a little bit. The best laser to combat redness and flushing would likely be V-beam pulsed dye laser, instead of a resurfacing laser which essentially strips a layer of skin off you and then new skin resurfaces as healing takes place. So i guess what i'm saying is don't have any more resurfacing as it may have thinned your skin to the point where you have developed mild rosacea symptoms. Would be best to see a Derm and talk about options in lessening the redness and burning Rosacea symptoms e.g. Clonidine.

Best, Shantelle

Yip laser resurfacing doesn't usually improve matters if you are already prone to pinkness or rosacea symptoms like flushing. Laser resurfacing actualy thins the skin a little bit. The best laser to combat redness and flushing would likely be V-beam pulsed dye laser, instead of a resurfacing laser which essentially strips a layer of skin off you and then new skin resurfaces as healing takes place. So i guess what i'm saying is don't have any more resurfacing as it may have thinned your skin to the point where you have developed mild rosacea symptoms. Would be best to see a Derm and talk about options in lessening the redness and burning Rosacea symptoms e.g. Clonidine.

Best, Shantelle

Thanks. I'll book a visit to the dermatologist