Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vodkapoptart

Why Just My Face?

I know many people on here also have body acne and breakouts, but can anyone explain to me why some people only get it on their face and nowhere else? I've NEVER had a pimple anywhere else but my face. Why is it so hard to get rid of facial acne if the rest of your body is clear?

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Guest Timehealsall
I guess it depends on the cause of the acne for whatever body part. Some people might only break out on their face because their facial acne is caused by something like skincare products or makeup, or maybe just hormonal. Some might get it on their body only because of things like fabric softener, detergent, or wearing clothing that is too tight and chafing.

The skin on our faces is also a lot thinner and more sensitive, and there are more oil glands there, so it's not a big surprise that many only break out on their faces.

most probably dont get acne because of products, but rather, you get acne because YOU GET IT. its that simple.

Hopefully you find a regimen that works for you. I am still looking..

Acne is a genetic condition and people get it for different reasons hence treatments have different outcomes as a result.

There is no magic bullet that works in all cases.

But if you find that after weeks of being on a certain regimen and you are still not getting clear you should attempt other treatments that attack acne in a different way.

You can see it on these boards that people get all kinds of different results from different treatments.

for me i know it's genetics because it's very isolated and my dad had (hopefully someday i can say i "had" acne) the same kind.

my face is clear, my chest is clear, my lower back is clear, but i get cystic acne on my upper back. life's a real kick isn't it.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I guess it depends on the cause of the acne for whatever body part. Some people might only break out on their face because their facial acne is caused by something like skincare products or makeup, or maybe just hormonal. Some might get it on their body only because of things like fabric softener, detergent, or wearing clothing that is too tight and chafing.

The skin on our faces is also a lot thinner and more sensitive, and there are more oil glands there, so it's not a big surprise that many only break out on their faces.

most probably dont get acne because of products, but rather, you get acne because YOU GET IT. its that simple.

It's called acne COSMETICA. Meaning that it arises from PRODUCTS, not because "you get it". A lot of people report only having one or two small breakouts, possibly for a few years on and off, and then they use products for whatever reason and make their skin worse. And I've seen some people here saying they've cleared their facial acne by not using products anymore, and others clearing body acne because they are eliminating PRODUCT residue that was causing breakouts.

i see that you were waiting for someone to question your knowledge that you think you have (a little biased i presume), true some acne can be from products, but the chances of the blemishes actually being acne are pretty slim. most of the time when somebody uses a product and has skin issues it's normally a rash, dry skin, etc. acne is a very complex thing, and it works both ways, being that it is hard to get rid off, and it is hard to get as well (because the majority of the world does not experience acne at all.)

what i'm trying to say is that the main causes of acne are genes, and hormones (both of which are broad categories), and that you didn't even read what timehealsall said did you? no you didn't? cause he very clearly said "MOST (meaning some, but not all) probably dont get acne because of products." you were just waiting for an excuse to play doctor on here and put someone down for no reason at all.

please read/listen to all information in a discussion and THINK about it before you make accusations about something that you know very little about. this is a great skill to use here on the boards, and a great skill to have in life to.

the ignorance and arrogance of people on the internet nowadays. damn.

Edited by guudgawd

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

It's called acne COSMETICA. Meaning that it arises from PRODUCTS, not because "you get it". A lot of people report only having one or two small breakouts, possibly for a few years on and off, and then they use products for whatever reason and make their skin worse. And I've seen some people here saying they've cleared their facial acne by not using products anymore, and others clearing body acne because they are eliminating PRODUCT residue that was causing breakouts.

i see that you were waiting for someone to question your knowledge that you think you have (a little biased i presume), true some acne can be from products, but the chances of the blemishes actually being acne are pretty slim. most of the time when somebody uses a product and has skin issues it's normally a rash, dry skin, etc. acne is a very complex thing, and it works both ways, being that it is hard to get rid off, and it is hard to get as well (because the majority of the world does not experience acne at all.)

what i'm trying to say is that the main causes of acne are genes, and hormones (both of which are broad categories), and that you didn't even read what timehealsall said did you? no you didn't? cause he very clearly said "MOST (meaning some, but not all) probably dont get acne because of products." you were just waiting for an excuse to play doctor on here and put someone down for no reason at all.

please read/listen to all information in a discussion and THINK about it before you make accusations about something that you know very little about. this is a great skill to use here on the boards, and a great skill to have in life to.

the ignorance and arrogance of people on the internet nowadays. damn.

No, I wasn't. That person said that acne just happens, that it is not caused by products, which is completely untrue. Even people who are not at all acne-prone can use a product and break out, then stop using it and never break out again. All I was doing was telling this person that acne CAN be completely caused by products, or made worse. How is that "waiting for someone to question my knowledge"? Which, by the way, is even spoken about online. Simply google acne cosmetica.

Acne cosmetica is a mild but persistent form of acne. As the name implies, acne cosmetica is triggered by the use of cosmetics. It can occur anywhere on the body, but is much more common on the face, neck, hairline and scalp.

To say that products do not break people out is quite naive. There are loads of reviews for products that state that the product broke them out - even if used for months to ensure it was not an IB or purging experience, once they stop using it, the breakouts cease.

And I wasn't putting him down. If that's how you viewed it, then so be it. But I was simply making sure that others knew that what he said was not entirely true, because cosmetics/products CAN cause/worsen acne, and he was making it seem as though this is not at all the case. And he was saying that it's just "that simple", when it really isn't.

As for acne being either genetic or hormonal, that's not always true.

What you are saying about me could easily be said about you as well. It seems like YOU were just waiting for someone to "argue" about what someone else said so that YOU could impart your wisdom. Sounds quite hypocritical to me.

we both said cosmetics could cause acne, your didn't read, or you don't get how sentences are structured. either way, i'm done with this thread and arguing with you because you're not making this interesting.

Acne is a genetic condition and people get it for different reasons hence treatments have different outcomes as a result.

But if you find that after weeks of being on a certain regimen and you are still not getting clear you should attempt other treatments that attack acne in a different way.

You can see it on these boards that people get all kinds of different results from different treatments.

Acne isn't always a genetic condition. Most people will argue up and down about this saying that because their parents had it, they have it. That's not always true. Neither of my parents had it, neither of my grandparents had it, my aunts, uncles, cousins....none of them have it. Just me.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Well, your skin takes a more regular beating from the elements, i.e. the sun, whatever the wind kicks up (a big one if you live in the city), whatever is on your hands if you touch your face, etc. The rest of your body, being clothed (I'm assuming :razz: ), is more protected from environmental forces, which can always aggravate acne even if the underlying cause is actually genetic or hormonal.

Acne isn't always a genetic condition. Most people will argue up and down about this saying that because their parents had it, they have it. That's not always true. Neither of my parents had it, neither of my grandparents had it, my aunts, uncles, cousins....none of them have it. Just me.

Genetics are complicated it's not that one cannot get a certain condition without either parents or their parents having had the condition previously.

Neither is it the case that because your parents had acne you will also get acne.Only the chances of suffering from it increases.It can also skip generations my grandfather had acne but my parents didn't.

It's the (bad) luck of the draw.All the rest are just things that your acne responds to good or bad while others don't have it in the exact same situation.

That's completely true.

Plus, your environment can break you out. Someone can travel and break out in one city but not in the next. It's not always about hormones or genes.

I wasn't suggesting that different things cannot cause people to break out or clear up.

I'm saying it's completely random and depends on the individual and how there skin responds.

One individual doesn't break out at all while another person does in the exact same situation.Hence you see so many different results from treatments on these boards.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape