Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MINIac

Need suggestions for an excellent liquid foundation

So I have an extremely important job interview in a week and I am literally panicking over my make-up. I have adult acne, and have been using the DKR regimen for a month and a half now. The downside is that my face is EXCEPTIONALLY dry. I have a few bumps here and there (never more than one at a time), but no more pimples. The only problem is covering up the hyperpigmentation caused by previous acne and evening out my skin tone. I have a powder mineral make-up kit which I applied today. My face looked absolutely flaky and cakey. Completely unnatural. I ended up having to cover all the mineral foundation completely with a THICK moisturizer. Does anyone have a suggestion for a really good non-comedogenic liquid foundation that will make my face look (at least fairly) flawless and not break me out? It would be wonderful if it was fairly moisturizing as well since I will be having to wear the DKR moisturizer under it, but it simply isn't moisturizing enough for my face. I am looking for a mall department store product such as Lancome, MAC, or Clinique since they are probably going to be of better quality and I have to look as natural and flawless as possible for this particular interview.

I would definitely suggest:

1. Exfoliating right before moisturizing on the day of

2. Using an excellent moisturizer and primer

3. This is what I use and love (foundation)

Good luck! If you need anything else please ask

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I actually was in such a panic that I went to a Merle Norman in town and had a bit of a makeover (which I hated because I felt obligated to buy everything even though I really didn't like how the makeup looked or the color choices of the saleswoman). I like what I am reading about your foundation. I think I might go to Sephora (won't have much time to order it and test it beforehand) and see about trying that. I can always return the Merle Norman stuff. Thank you. :)

I was just researching today, right now I use Loreal liquid minerals. I have had no problems with this at all but its winter now and my skin is getting even paler than usual.

After looking online I discovered that apparently maybelline dream liquid mouse is non comodogenic!! I am very excited about this as it comes in a huge range including 3 different shades of ivory... WIN!

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I actually was in such a panic that I went to a Merle Norman in town and had a bit of a makeover (which I hated because I felt obligated to buy everything even though I really didn't like how the makeup looked or the color choices of the saleswoman). I like what I am reading about your foundation. I think I might go to Sephora (won't have much time to order it and test it beforehand) and see about trying that. I can always return the Merle Norman stuff. Thank you. :)

Ooooh I know just how you feel. That's why I never go into Bare Escentuals! It's too small and they always ask if you need something and I feel like I'm being watched too much haha. So then I let them make me over and then I have to buy at least 1 thing. That's what I like about Sephora, it's not just 1 brand so they don't have AS much personal investment in pushing items.

Definitely return the other stuff if you don't LOVE it. If you don't love it you won't end up using it anyway. Yeah go get a sample of it and see if you like it! : ] One of the ladies gave me a sample and it lasted for a long time (days)- a little bit goes a long way. So you can test it out if you are nervous about buying it right this minute. But I really like it a lot.

Anytime! :)

Ooooh I know just how you feel. That's why I never go into Bare Escentuals! It's too small and they always ask if you need something and I feel like I'm being watched too much haha. So then I let them make me over and then I have to buy at least 1 thing. That's what I like about Sephora, it's not just 1 brand so they don't have AS much personal investment in pushing items.

Definitely return the other stuff if you don't LOVE it. If you don't love it you won't end up using it anyway. Yeah go get a sample of it and see if you like it! : ] One of the ladies gave me a sample and it lasted for a long time (days)- a little bit goes a long way. So you can test it out if you are nervous about buying it right this minute. But I really like it a lot.

Anytime! :)

Edited by MINIac

I was just researching today, right now I use Loreal liquid minerals. I have had no problems with this at all but its winter now and my skin is getting even paler than usual.

After looking online I discovered that apparently maybelline dream liquid mouse is non comodogenic!! I am very excited about this as it comes in a huge range including 3 different shades of ivory... WIN!

I can't use that though the commercial makes it look so wonderful. I bought one as soon as it came out and my skin was just too dry for it. :(

als I just bought the clinique anti blemish concealor in alabaster, I likey.... though it was a bit wierd (pretending to be) taking cosmetics advice from a woman with red lipstick on her clearly rotten teeth.... but you obviously would not have to endure that experience....probably :) good luck with the job interview! and also when you responded to my comment above you responded to one product but I meantioned two xx maybe have a look at the other product.

als I just bought the clinique anti blemish concealor in alabaster, I likey.... though it was a bit wierd (pretending to be) taking cosmetics advice from a woman with red lipstick on her clearly rotten teeth.... but you obviously would not have to endure that experience....probably :) good luck with the job interview! and also when you responded to my comment above you responded to one product but I meantioned two xx maybe have a look at the other product.

Oh, I'm sorry. I missed it. I'm not all here lately with the interview and exams coming up. My friend actually uses that but she doesn't have any skin issues like hyperpigmentation, pimples, or uneven skin tone. Does Loreal work well to cover that without being cakey? Does it look completely flawless? And I know what you mean. The woman that helped me yesterday with my makeover... she (I hate to say this... I really do) looked like a harlet. Her foundation was caked on, she had these dark lines of blush (which she also did to my face), and she had this bright dark purple and dark turquoise eyeshadow to her eyebrows. I was like, "Oh my!" And I let her give me a makeover and pick stuff for me to BUY! It just did not look appropriate imo but to each his own. I was terrified what she would do for my eyeshadow. She ended up putting some kind of pink color on me... and I have medium olive colored skin. It did not look good. No purchase there. Thanks for the well wishing! I need this job as it is a job with my dream company to work for.

Oh, I'm sorry. I missed it. I'm not all here lately with the interview and exams coming up. My friend actually uses that but she doesn't have any skin issues like hyperpigmentation, pimples, or uneven skin tone. Does Loreal work well to cover that without being cakey? Does it look completely flawless? And I know what you mean. The woman that helped me yesterday with my makeover... she (I hate to say this... I really do) looked like a harlet. Her foundation was caked on, she had these dark lines of blush (which she also did to my face), and she had this bright dark purple and dark turquoise eyeshadow to her eyebrows. I was like, "Oh my!" And I let her give me a makeover and pick stuff for me to BUY! It just did not look appropriate imo but to each his own. I was terrified what she would do for my eyeshadow. She ended up putting some kind of pink color on me... and I have medium olive colored skin. It did not look good. No purchase there. Thanks for the well wishing! I need this job as it is a job with my dream company to work for.

I found the loreal stuff to glide over nicely, not to get cakey. Coverage wize, I found it great and natural looking on its own. As per usual over the top of acne and when going to an event you should use any topicals then moisturiser if you need to, then foundation, then concealer, then powder leaving each to set in between and making sure to blend the edges at every step.

you could always take a sample of the loreal (and other stuff) stuff away in little pots to try at home (boots do some nice little pots).

For redness its a good idea to invest in some coloured skin tone corrector. Green is best and as far as I recall the natural collection use to do a nice lightweight one though you may want to shop around for something heavier. I do believe many cosmetic companies make nice green colour corrector. I used to use it all the time when I was at school. I don't know why I stopped... I may get that again :) thanks for reminding me.

Today is the first day I will be trying my new cosmetic combo... woot!

Oh my gosh definitely annoying. Plllllllease return the stuff haha I want you to have makeup you actually use and are happy with. I use Benefit's Coralista blush. But it depends on your skin tone, what is yours? I also like Lorac blushes. Eeek that foundation and stuff doesn't sound so good... bumps and melty :(

How much of this do you need and how long does a bottle last you? It sounds so nice but I'm trying to save up and if it only lasts a month......

How much of this do you need and how long does a bottle last you? It sounds so nice but I'm trying to save up and if it only lasts a month......

I need about 1-2 pumps. I bought my bottle... oooh.... months ago. I'm not sure exactly but a long time ago. It's still at LEAST 1/2 full. It really doesn't take a lot! I completely understand your position. You should get a sample beforehand too. They gave me a sample (tiny container) and it lasted for like a week or so.

And you use it daily? Oh man, I really want it! >_< Maybe I'll only use it for special occasions and ask for a Sephora gift card for my birthday...this sounds like a good idea

And you use it daily? Oh man, I really want it! >_< Maybe I'll only use it for special occasions and ask for a Sephora gift card for my birthday...this sounds like a good idea

Yeah I use it daily. That sounds like a great plan :) It could be your pick me up for those days when you want to look extra good :D

So? How did the combo go? :) Thanks for the tips. I always need moisturizer... always. And it still doesn't soak in! It is so aggravating. Even the thickest moisturizer refuses to actually stay in there!

What is a pot? I wish we had a Boots. I keep reading about this place and it sounds so awesome! Grrr... I wish I was in the UK!

Where do I get a skin tone corrector? That is what I need! Once I get rid of my hyperpigmentation, then that would be wonderful! I am so out of the loop about all this stuff. I was told that I need a primer and I still don't know what in the world that is. I was told that I needed a toner too. Not sure what that is either. I thought it was just cleaner, water, and make-up! LOL

Thanks again for all the tips and help!

Edited by MINIac

Oh my gosh definitely annoying. Plllllllease return the stuff haha I want you to have makeup you actually use and are happy with. I use Benefit's Coralista blush. But it depends on your skin tone, what is yours? I also like Lorac blushes. Eeek that foundation and stuff doesn't sound so good... bumps and melty :(

Just wanted to say thank you, thank you, thank you for all your help! You are awesome! Too bad I didn't get the foundation. I ended up being stuck with the MN. It looked so much better than the Nars crap. Anyway, thank you. :D

Btw, your skin in your picture looks absolutely wonderful! I am wondering if it is due to the Perricone MD products. I ended up buying the firming toner and am waiting for it to arrive. I am concerned about the fishy smell, though. How do you cover it up or does it just go away after awhile?

Edited by MINIac

Just wanted to say thank you, thank you, thank you for all your help! You are awesome! Too bad I didn't get the foundation. I ended up being stuck with the MN. It looked so much better than the Nars crap. Anyway, thank you. :D

Btw, your skin in your picture looks absolutely wonderful! I am wondering if it is due to the Perricone MD products. I ended up buying the firming toner and am waiting for it to arrive. I am concerned about the fishy smell, though. How do you cover it up or does it just go away after awhile?

Oh my goodness, no problem at all! It's my pleasure. Sorry about the late responses this weekend. Close family member passed away :(

Well you can always go back when you run out and see if you want to try it then. :] Aww thank you so much!! So with the firming toner I do not notice ANY sort of fishy smell. I had it with the acne clearing toner, it was very strong, but with this firming toner- NADA! It's more a fresh to nonexistent smell.

So? How did the combo go? :) Thanks for the tips. I always need moisturizer... always. And it still doesn't soak in! It is so aggravating. Even the thickest moisturizer refuses to actually stay in there!

What is a pot? I wish we had a Boots. I keep reading about this place and it sounds so awesome! Grrr... I wish I was in the UK!

Where do I get a skin tone corrector? That is what I need! Once I get rid of my hyperpigmentation, then that would be wonderful! I am so out of the loop about all this stuff. I was told that I need a primer and I still don't know what in the world that is. I was told that I needed a toner too. Not sure what that is either. I thought it was just cleaner, water, and make-up! LOL

Thanks again for all the tips and help!

My fantastic new combo is loreal liquid minerals in ivory, clinique anti blemish concealer in alabaster for my neck, rimmel staymatt in soft ivory for my face. My skin looks flawless when I wear this combo :) I am very happy with it.

You can buy green "color" (:P) correcting concealers online. Otherwize, go to a large department store with makeup counters and ask about green color correcting concealer. I know Dermablend is non comodogenic but you will have to research where to buy that in the usa.

pot: little sealable tub. Often sold to store cosmetics and other beauty products in when travelling.

Primer: can also be green and colour correcting, ask about this at the beauty counter if you have a larger area to cover than the concealor will work for. Primers are used to provide a base for the foundation to go on top of.

Its

cleanse

tone (if you want to)

Anti acne topicals (if relevant)

moisturise - leave to dry

primer - leave to dry

foundation - leave to set after blending

concealor - dab on, leave to set, dab around area to blend outwards then blend edges inwards.

Powder finish

blusher, bronser, eyemakeup blah blah blah

p.s remember to use normal coloured concealor on areas that are not red (i.e. under your eyes)

and probably best to pick a green primer OR concealor for each occasion, not both, so you don't overdo it. Though I have never tried both so it may be amazing. You are the best judge. Experiment at home :)

good luck with your interview!!!

Edited by crystal_willow