Notifications
Clear all

Less Invasive Scar Treatment Success

MemberMember
(@slsl)

Posted : 11/10/2010 6:43 am

Title says it all - I would really like to see some less invasive scar treatment success stories on this site. Some positive results would be refreshing to see. Either success stories are hard to find, are rarely existent, bombarded with negative feedback, aren't updated etc. I don't know about you, but cheap alternatives to fix scarring is all I can afford. It seems like the expensive lasers aren't working anyhow, except with Dudley and a lucky few. So please post your success here, and I hope to see this thread grow over time. Give me and others hope :) (Edit: No matter how big or small the improvement!)

What kind of scarring do/did you have?

What treatments are you doing/have you done?

How long have you been treating your scars?

What topicals and/or vitamins/supplements are you using, if any?

How much improvement have you seen?

etc.

Also, I would like to hear some makeup routines from those of you girls that 'soften' your scars with it. I know it's temporary, but anything is definitely better than nothing!

Please keep negativity to yourself, I know it's hard ;) Hopefully I'll be sharing a success story with all of you sooner or later. Good day and happy healing!

MemberMember
(@mr-president)

Posted : 11/10/2010 7:06 am

oh sapphire - its easy to be positive when you put your mind to it :)

MemberMember
(@slsl)

Posted : 11/10/2010 7:22 am

lol, I heart you (your name here). I don't know if you want me to keep it secret! : P

MemberMember
(@mr-president)

Posted : 11/10/2010 7:38 am

lol, I heart you (your name here). I don't know if you want me to keep it secret! : P

rofl, my name isnt a secret...if it was, i wouldnt have told you

anyhoo, i hope ur having a GREAT night matie!

MemberMember
(@luvskincare13)

Posted : 11/10/2010 11:33 am

Hi Sapphire

I finally had the cross treatment. It was painless, easy, and very inexpensive.

I will let you know how it turns out. My derm did tell me that they look worse for about a month and then start looking better. I also have 2 more appointments scheduled for Dec and Jan.

MemberMember
(@slsl)

Posted : 11/11/2010 4:45 am

Hi Sapphire

I finally had the cross treatment. It was painless, easy, and very inexpensive.

I will let you know how it turns out. My derm did tell me that they look worse for about a month and then start looking better. I also have 2 more appointments scheduled for Dec and Jan.

The facial surgeon I wanted to see wanted to charge 1,500$ per treatment. What a whack! &The other famous one, Dr. Lam, wants 700$ per treatment. Seems like TCA cross, or any acne scar treatment for that matter, is super expensive here in Dallas. :( Please keep me updated!! I'm glad you've finally gotten it done. :)

MemberMember
(@goneandnvrcominbak)

Posted : 11/11/2010 5:25 am

Oh sapphire. How I agree with you. I can't afford jack shit all these doctors and clinics are fucking charging. It's ridiculous. I live in San Francisco so you an imagine how expensive it is. There are alot of places that offer scar treatment but I haven't heard of any success or anything similar to it. Most of it's lasers and lasers can only do so much. I'm sorry I'm not Paris Hilton with a stack of 100's in my wallet who could Go out and buy a doctor lol. Like I said before I've tried a medium chemical peel, which I regret highly. I imagine if I ended up getting fraxel how my skin would look now. Probably more effed up.

Keep us updated jackiey!! I think I'm going to post pics of my updated scars soon so u guys know how much worse I have it. The day there would be a cure for scarring... I hope this thread grows like u said sapphire. : )

MemberMember
(@mario352007)

Posted : 11/11/2010 5:55 am

i had a series of 5 Fraxel Restore. last one was about 3 weeks ago. they were done 1 month apart. after the second one i noticed a little improvement. after 3rd i got even more improvement. after 4th one im starting to gain confidence. after 5th one im extremely impressed with the results. my scarring was pretty bad. rolling scars not very deep but very noticeable all over my cheeks. i also have a few deeper scars which are still visible but im getting subcision for those before my last fraxel. i never tried anything else for scarring but i can tell you that this one made a big difference. im so pleased with the results. it may not work for everyone though just like any other skin treatment. anyway if you search the forums people who got 5 or more fraxels are ussualy happy with the results.

the settings were:

1st: 60mj and level 7 density

2nd: 70mj and level 8 density

3rd: 70mj and level 9 density

4th: 70mj and level 9 density

5th: 70mj and level 10 density

so basically maximum power for the laser. majority of people who got at least 5 fraxels at high settings got good to excelent results. people who did not get good improvement either got low settings or not enough sessions or both.

I am caucasian with skin type 3, which is best for high settings of laser. type 1 and 2 may burn too much and 5 and 6 may get change in skin color from high settings of the laser.

but basically anyone with scars that are not super deep and with skin type 1-4 can get good improvement from Fraxel Restore. it takes patience and faith to get the desired results.

MemberMember
(@mvfree)

Posted : 11/11/2010 12:47 pm

Hey,

I think it would help for you all to look into natural ways of eliminating or atleast fading your scars. I have ignored everything that is produced with chemicals, and have only used natural products that are for the most part side-effect free. I currently just started using the sandalwood paste and honey mask for about a week and a half every night before I go to bed, and I have already seen a drastic difference. Do some research on it online.

God gives us natural resources for a reason, these problems have been around as long as life has been, and he has aided us with the tools we need to get rid of them long before laser treatments even existed- just takes some patience.

Hope this helps :)

MemberMember
(@q_p)

Posted : 11/11/2010 2:14 pm

I have mild but extensive scarring of all sorts (ice-pick, scarred pores, a few box scars and rolling scars). Most of my scars are fairly superficial but still quite visible, and I do have a few deeper, more moderate scars.

One thing that has instantly helped me is a hyaluronic acid serum with the ingredients: water, sodium hyaluronate, benzyl alcohol, dehydroacetic acid. I use it after washing my face in the morning then put emu oil on top, and at night I wash my face, use Retin-A, then mix the serum with emu oil and moisturize. It very quickly absorbs and visibly plumps up my skin, making scars less visible by maybe 20-30% and completely evening out my red, blotchy skin tone. Nothing too crazy, but it certainly helps my confidence a bit. :D

I also use Retin-A nightly, but I've only been using it for four months so it'll be a while before I can judge its true effect on my scarring.

MemberMember
(@softly_softly)

Posted : 11/11/2010 3:37 pm

i had a series of 5 Fraxel Restore. last one was about 3 weeks ago. they were done 1 month apart. after the second one i noticed a little improvement. after 3rd i got even more improvement. after 4th one im starting to gain confidence. after 5th one im extremely impressed with the results. my scarring was pretty bad. rolling scars not very deep but very noticeable all over my cheeks. i also have a few deeper scars which are still visible but im getting subcision for those before my last fraxel. i never tried anything else for scarring but i can tell you that this one made a big difference. im so pleased with the results. it may not work for everyone though just like any other skin treatment. anyway if you search the forums people who got 5 or more fraxels are ussualy happy with the results.

the settings were:

so basically maximum power for the laser. majority of people who got at least 5 fraxels at high settings got good to excelent results. people who did not get good improvement either got low settings or not enough sessions or both.

I am caucasian with skin type 3, which is best for high settings of laser. type 1 and 2 may burn too much and 5 and 6 may get change in skin color from high settings of the laser.

but basically anyone with scars that are not super deep and with skin type 1-4 can get good improvement from Fraxel Restore. it takes patience and faith to get the desired results.

How much time did you leave between fraxels? And how long did it take for redness to subside 100% after a given fraxel treatment?

MemberMember
(@softly_softly)

Posted : 11/11/2010 4:07 pm

Thanks bro.

MemberMember
(@slsl)

Posted : 11/12/2010 1:32 am

Hey,

I think it would help for you all to look into natural ways of eliminating or atleast fading your scars. I have ignored everything that is produced with chemicals, and have only used natural products that are for the most part side-effect free. I currently just started using the sandalwood paste and honey mask for about a week and a half every night before I go to bed, and I have already seen a drastic difference. Do some research on it online.

God gives us natural resources for a reason, these problems have been around as long as life has been, and he has aided us with the tools we need to get rid of them long before laser treatments even existed- just takes some patience.

Hope this helps :)

Sorry, I'm not sure if I was specific or not, but I'm talking about pitted scarring (not red marks). I do agree that a natural way for red marks (or acne) is a great way to go, but sometimes that just doesn't cut it. I have heard that honey (specifically Manuka honey) CAN help some pitted scarring. I don't know how, and I don't know if it's true, but I guess it could be worth a shot. Thanks for your post :)

MemberMember
(@slsl)

Posted : 11/12/2010 1:37 am

I have mild but extensive scarring of all sorts (ice-pick, scarred pores, a few box scars and rolling scars). Most of my scars are fairly superficial but still quite visible, and I do have a few deeper, more moderate scars.

One thing that has instantly helped me is a hyaluronic acid serum with the ingredients: water, sodium hyaluronate, benzyl alcohol, dehydroacetic acid. I use it after washing my face in the morning then put emu oil on top, and at night I wash my face, use Retin-A, then mix the serum with emu oil and moisturize. It very quickly absorbs and visibly plumps up my skin, making scars less visible by maybe 20-30% and completely evening out my red, blotchy skin tone. Nothing too crazy, but it certainly helps my confidence a bit. :D

I also use Retin-A nightly, but I've only been using it for four months so it'll be a while before I can judge its true effect on my scarring.

May I ask what people mean when they say they have 'superficial' but pitted scars? I honestly though superficial could only be a way to describe scars as in red marks or raised ones. Thank you :)

I have been meaning to get a topical Hyalruonic Acid! I've heard it can make your scars look a lot better, and I could agree since the cream I'm using (CeraVe) has HA in it and seems to be making my scars look more shallow. Like you said, nothing too crazy but it definitely makes a difference! What exact HA serum are you using? I'm thinking about buying the Blue Mallow one from Garden of Wisdom. I've heard good things about it. I'm also using a retinoid, not Retin-A, but Tazorac and I feel like my scars would look worse without it. Thanks for sharing!

MemberMember
(@slsl)

Posted : 11/12/2010 1:41 am

the settings were:

I'm so glad you've had good results! If you had to put a percentage (0-100%) on your improvement, what would it be? I've read so many mixed reviews on Fraxel Re:Store. Some great ones and some horror stories, but I think it's like that with every laser. I'm deathly afraid of lasers and would probably never go close to one unless I was like in the best plastic surgeon's hands ever. But no, even then I would be scared! haha

MemberMember
(@paulyd)

Posted : 11/12/2010 1:59 am

the settings were:

You just joined the other week and have pretty detailed numbers and figures and talk about confidence boosting. No offence, but this sounds like advertisement. I KNOW i shouldnt just claim that after reading positive results from fraxel but there's a tone to your post that doesnt sit well.

I've had 7 restores and 2 vbeams for a slight improvement. Some days my scars look like theyve improved a GREAT DEAL but for some reason, they go back to being really terrible for the majority of time. I don't really understand why there's such a huge difference. Overdrying skin and harsh products definitely make scars look worse though.

Any way, I'm going in for a few consultations in Sydney (moving very soon). I'll keep you guys posted. I'm willing to get a couple subcisions and then begin derma stamping and rolling at home for several months and also might get a temporary filler if I still feel like i've got no results after the subcisions.

Best case scenario, doctor says yes subcision will work for you, do two treatments, stamp and roll my scars for half a year regularly and lightly and then just maintain my now shallow/moderate scars. Well I guess best case scenario would leave me with shallow scars but yeah, not hoping for that much really. Would be really nice though.

Worst case scenario, this time next year i'll begin my life-long treatment with fillers and that's even if they do something and keep using filler a few times a year until in 2070 they come out Fraxel Cure

MemberMember
(@q_p)

Posted : 11/12/2010 8:14 am

May I ask what people mean when they say they have 'superficial' but pitted scars? I honestly though superficial could only be a way to describe scars as in red marks or raised ones. Thank you :)

I have been meaning to get a topical Hyalruonic Acid! I've heard it can make your scars look a lot better, and I could agree since the cream I'm using (CeraVe) has HA in it and seems to be making my scars look more shallow. Like you said, nothing too crazy but it definitely makes a difference! What exact HA serum are you using? I'm thinking about buying the Blue Mallow one from Garden of Wisdom. I've heard good things about it. I'm also using a retinoid, not Retin-A, but Tazorac and I feel like my scars would look worse without it. Thanks for sharing!

I guess by "superficial" I mean scars that almost disappear in the morning but deepen during the day. They're definitely indented, but not as much as my other scars. It's hard to photograph them.

I'm using a serum I got on Amazon.com from a seller called Timeless Skin Care. The only active ingredient in the serum is the hyaluronic acid, and it's at a good concentration. It is breaking me out a bit but my skin is stupidly sensitive and you probably wouldn't have the same problems. :)

MemberMember
(@slsl)

Posted : 11/13/2010 1:29 am

I guess by "superficial" I mean scars that almost disappear in the morning but deepen during the day. They're definitely indented, but not as much as my other scars. It's hard to photograph them.

I understand; I have a lot of what you're describing. They're not bad looking separately, but all together they make my skin texture look bad :( If you find anything else that helps lessen the appearance of these then please let me know!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/14/2010 12:46 am

i want to try this serum you are talking about quirky, but i do not know how i would be able to incorporate it with the acne.org regimen

MemberMember
(@slsl)

Posted : 11/14/2010 3:54 am

i want to try this serum you are talking about quirky, but i do not know how i would be able to incorporate it with the acne.org regimen

You wear it in replacement or under a moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@slsl)

Posted : 11/14/2010 6:42 pm

No one else with improvements in their scars?

MemberMember
(@imout)

Posted : 11/15/2010 5:22 am

No one else with improvements in their scars?

not yet, i'll report when i start seeing results...

MemberMember
(@mario352007)

Posted : 11/16/2010 7:43 am

the settings were:

You just joined the other week and have pretty detailed numbers and figures and talk about confidence boosting. No offence, but this sounds like advertisement. I KNOW i shouldnt just claim that after reading positive results from fraxel but there's a tone to your post that doesnt sit well.

I've had 7 restores and 2 vbeams for a slight improvement. Some days my scars look like theyve improved a GREAT DEAL but for some reason, they go back to being really terrible for the majority of time. I don't really understand why there's such a huge difference. Overdrying skin and harsh products definitely make scars look worse though.

Any way, I'm going in for a few consultations in Sydney (moving very soon). I'll keep you guys posted. I'm willing to get a couple subcisions and then begin derma stamping and rolling at home for several months and also might get a temporary filler if I still feel like i've got no results after the subcisions.

Best case scenario, doctor says yes subcision will work for you, do two treatments, stamp and roll my scars for half a year regularly and lightly and then just maintain my now shallow/moderate scars. Well I guess best case scenario would leave me with shallow scars but yeah, not hoping for that much really. Would be really nice though.

Worst case scenario, this time next year i'll begin my life-long treatment with fillers and that's even if they do something and keep using filler a few times a year until in 2070 they come out Fraxel Cure

dude im not trying to advertise anything. i researched all scar treatment procedures and i know pretty much anything about all of them in theory but i started with this one. i did not give you the name of the doctor or clinic...that would be called advertising. anyway i mentioned that i had rolling scars on large areas of my cheeks BUT they were NOT DEEP. deep scars dont improve very much with lasers, not even with CO2. and i also said that i had few deeper scars for which im having SUBCISION done to make them more shallow. And it would be very stupid not to know your settings after so many treatments done. And why would you do 7 Fraxel Restore if you did not see any improvement after 3rd one?

MemberMember
(@mario352007)

Posted : 11/16/2010 8:02 am

the settings were:

I'm so glad you've had good results! If you had to put a percentage (0-100%) on your improvement, what would it be? I've read so many mixed reviews on Fraxel Re:Store. Some great ones and some horror stories, but I think it's like that with every laser. I'm deathly afraid of lasers and would probably never go close to one unless I was like in the best plastic surgeon's hands ever. But no, even then I would be scared! haha

i never understand people when they estimate acne scar improvement in %. i mean do they measure the depth/lenght of every single scar before and then after treatment? cause that would be the only way to estimate an improvement in percentage. all i can tell you is that my left cheek on which i had many scars but shalow looks excelent, i can not see the indented scars anymore. on my right cheek i had some deeper scars that i can still see but even those are more shallow than before the laser. if you are scared of lasers then dont get laser treatment done. it is VERY painful and the downtime is 5 to 7 days not like they say 2 or 3.

MemberMember
(@tink3508)

Posted : 11/16/2010 1:27 pm

Hey

I am on tazorac .1% and i have been for approx. 2 months. I have seen HUGE improvement in my indents to the point where they are almost gone.

What I done to get to this point is prob not reccommended by anyone but you wanted success stories so heres mine =). I had some indents and there were still some under the skin bumps around then I picked at the skin and surrounding skin - just squeezed a little and it was all red. Then I would apply tazorac to it. I slept with tazorac on - I applied a thick layer rubbed it in waited for it to dry and then applied spot tmt's to the indents and went to bed (by spot tmts I mean i applied a big blob to the areas and left it). This made the area scab over - I still kept my routine and applied the taz to the scabs. They only took a few days (maybe 5ish) to fall off then underneath he skin had improved. I repeated this procedure 5 times. Now I almost am scar free. I don't know if this worked so well for me b/c my scars were fairly fresh (under a year old) but it worked. I basically dried the shit outta my skin - I used no mositurizer @ all and did this when I first started taz so my skin wasn't used to it and it did get dry, scab peel etc. Now my skin has adjusted to taz. I still use it everynight and do not wash it off. It does not make me red or peel now. I still have a few small indents which are only noticeably in certain lights and I still continue to spot treat and go to bed with hopes they will be gone completly soon. Everyone tells me they are gone and it was amazing what taz done for me so I am possiably only being paranoid - I can only see them now under direct foresent light or when I take a picture with the flash on and zoom into a billion times.

I am a beliver that scars can go away w/o invasive procedures.