Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am 26 years old and I have battled acne off and on for years. Recently, though, my acne was coming back with a vengence. I had persistant acne (deep, painful cysts) on my chin and nothing seemed to help. 5 years ago I was prescribed a sulfur wash and tretinion cream. It definitely helped.

However, I no longer have health insurance and I have relented to buying drugstore facial washes that are only minimally successful.

I have suspected my diet for a while now but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. I kept a diary log since late July on every meal I ate. Even after months of writing it down, I still couldn't find the culprit. Frustrated and annoyed, I really felt all hope was lost.

Finally, about 2 weeks ago, I found a video on youtube discussing hormonal acne. The woman discussed a low glycemic diet and that has helped people with acne. Hmm! I thought. I never heard of it.

So, I googled it and I was a little overwhelmed by what foods I couldnt eat. However, I found that the foods that I were eating were very high glycemic...puffed rice and wheat, whole wheat, sugar, rice, and palm oil.

I decided to give it a shot. If anything, it would force me to eat more healthy. For my produce, I try to buy organic. I ate more salads, fruits, lean meats and cut out all dairy, grains, breads, rice.

Here is the chart I go by:

I buy foods with a + next to them. I recently bought grassfed beef and it is amazing!! Very healthy for you!

Here is what I eat on a daily/weekly basis:

-raspberries, blackberries, apples, larabars, lemons, fresh OJ

--black beans, tuna, chicken, grassfed beef, organic eggs

--spinach, romaine lettuce, red pepper, onion, brocolli, green beans, yams, tomato,green onion, spices, wheat free bread, flaxseed

-green tea, water, multivitamin, olive oil

--Exercise

Other than having a pimple because I ate too much wheat bread, my face is clearing up! This week has been one of the first weeks without new pimples in months.

Here are the pro's and con's of this diet:

Pro's:

-Healthier for you

-Overall clear complexion and helps with depression/anxiety

-If not organic, a very inexpensive diet

-Strengthens immune system, helps fight cancers and diseases

Con's

-Can be time consuming to create meals

-If organic, can be pricey

-Not ideal diet for those who do not want to lose weight

Here are some low Anti-inflammatory foods:

If anyone tries this diet, let me know how it goes! I will keep you updated on my progress.

You are forgetting fatty acids, esencials for cell functioning. Linoleic acid helps reduce inflammation in the skin. If you are a man, also consider taking Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin Seed), which is full of fatty acids and zinc.

And I don't consider extreme solutions are the optimal, you can have a healthy diet but eating mostly everything (avoiding too much milk and fried stuff, etc).

You are forgetting fatty acids, esencials for cell functioning. Linoleic acid helps reduce inflammation in the skin. If you are a man, also consider taking Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin Seed), which is full of fatty acids and zinc.

And I don't consider extreme solutions are the optimal, you can have a healthy diet but eating mostly everything (avoiding too much milk and fried stuff, etc).

The chart that I posted (although it did not show because of my low post count) was a graphic of foods with low inflammation and high in omega 3 and 6.

Grassfed meat is high in both. Flaxseeds are excellent sources for fatty acids. Olive oil, too. Also, I do not eat every food that the author mentioned in the graph. But, I am continuing to try new foods and I hope to balance out the healthy fats and anti inflammation foods.

If one follows the graph, there is high probability of success.

You view this as an extreme solution? It's really just eating healthy and avoiding foods that cause acne.

For example, I have noticed my acne worsen with dairy and wheat. In the future, I would like to get tested for food allergies. This diet is not for everyone but I wanted to post for those who are struggling and this may be a good fit.

Edited by steeler

The chart that I posted (although it did not show because of my low post count) was a graphic of foods with low inflammation and high in omega 3 and 6.

Grassfed meat is high in both. Flaxseeds are excellent sources for fatty acids. Olive oil, too. Also, I do not eat every food that the author mentioned in the graph. But, I am continuing to try new foods and I hope to balance out the healthy fats and anti inflammation foods.

If one follows the graph, there is high probability of success.

You view this as an extreme solution? It's really just eating healthy and avoiding foods that cause acne.

For example, I have noticed my acne worsen with dairy and wheat. In the future, I would like to get tested for food allergies. This diet is not for everyone but I wanted to post for those who are struggling and this may be a good fit.

where did you find that chart? i would like to see it. i'm glad this is working for you :) you may want to watch out with larabars though, they are made of dates which have a reallly high glycemic index. but they are so freakin yummy!

where did you find that chart? i would like to see it. i'm glad this is working for you :) you may want to watch out with larabars though, they are made of dates which have a reallly high glycemic index. but they are so freakin yummy!

The chart is on a site called texasgrassfedbeef and its on the left side of the page..It should say glycemic index.

Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement! I was wondering when it would come :)

Ahh, yes, dates and raisins have a very high glycemic and that is why I do eat only 3 of them a week. As long as I eat mostly pluses, I have been able to have my larabar...yes, they are that good! :)

I don't strictly limit the foods high glycemic and I do allow myself to enjoy them from time to time.

For the week of thanksgiving, I am definitely going to have to think about what foods I will eat. The thing with this diet is that it is a lifestyle change. I cannot go out to eat anymore and get whatever I want. I have to prepare ahead and yet its worth it when my face is clear!

Edited by steeler

Guest Timehealsall

i have tried such a diet (2 months) and it did not really work for me. The unfortunate part is i lost 15-20 lbs with this diet and now im way under weight.

I think blueberries are good for acne to because of their anti-oxidant properties

Same with curcumin

Congratulations for learning the truth about diet and acne.

When you have stayed clear for several months, be sure to add your story to this far-from-complete list of members who have cleared their skin via lifestyle and diet habits.

List of members who've cleared their skin via diet and healthy lifestyle.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Success-C...ea-t172158.html

i have tried such a diet (2 months) and it did not really work for me. The unfortunate part is i lost 15-20 lbs with this diet and now im way under weight.

I think blueberries are good for acne to because of their anti-oxidant properties

Same with curcumin

You mind me asking what you ate? Do you know if you have any food allergies?

The more I think about it, the more I suspect wheat may be the culprit.

Thanks for the suggestions!

It can be frustrating to have so many different outlets of success for people and not have it yourself. Have you been able to find something that has worked for you?

I think its very important for anyone who wants to start this diet to be mostly certain that particular foods are aggravating acne. Since nutritional remedies are not for everyone, its important to have a general idea of the causation.

It wasn't until this past year did I even suspect nutrition as a culprit! Can you imagine? I've struggled with acne since I was 11-12 years old. I attributed it to hereditary, hormones, dirty face, sweat, stress, and sugar. Not that any of those things don't contribute to acne because they do. But in my case, it was what I was eating.

It's been almost two full weeks and no new pimples on my chin. You know how good it feels to be able to walk outside and not have to worry about how horrible I look or what people will think about me? It feels so nice to not have painful acne and feel it whenever you smile or eat!

I do miss cookies and milk. I miss cupcakes, bread, pizza, junk food! Over time, those things will become less and less==or so I hope!

Larabars? Those things are really difficult to tolerate. The only good ones I have ever eaten (oh and I've tried them all - literally) were the cherry pie and the apple pie. Though even the apple pie wasn't all that awesome. I tired of them quickly.

If you miss pizza - I just made a personal pizza today that turned out rather well using an almond flour crust and topped with pizza sauce, black olives, green peppers, and sausage. I made a pumpkin smoothie for dessert using almond milk, pumpkin puree and cinnamon. You'd be surprised the good things you can actually eat while eating healthy.

Edited by gMARIAs

Larabars? Those things are really difficult to tolerate. The only good ones I have ever eaten (oh and I've tried them all - literally) were the cherry pie and the apple pie. Though even the apple pie wasn't all that awesome. I tired of them quickly.

If you miss pizza - I just made a personal pizza today that turned out rather well using an almond flour crust and topped with pizza sauce, black olives, green peppers, and sausage. I made a pumpkin smoothie for dessert using almond milk, pumpkin puree and cinnamon. You'd be surprised the good things you can actually eat while eating healthy.

Really? I don't know why I like them so much..pecan pie is my favorite and I found the cherry too bitter for my liking. Everyone is different.

Thanks for the pizza and pumpkin recipe! I will have to try those :)

Face is continuing to heal :surprised:

I really like the results so far and I am very glad to have stopped all dairy. For women reading this, it may alleviate your menstrual symptoms. Since most dairy has hormones in it, its best to avoid it.

The daily multivitamin I take is:

Super Nutrition for Women: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...ELAID=361977642

Edited by steeler

i'm so glad this is working for you! i have been (mostly) gluten free for about 8 months, and i honestly don't even miss it anymore. Unless i'm forced into a pizzeria or something haha. But really, it's so easy there are delicious gluten free substitutes for almost everything! Dairy was harder for me, but now that i haven't had it in 2 or 3 months i definitely notice that i get new breakouts when i do eat it by accident. Yay for you!

i'm so glad this is working for you! i have been (mostly) gluten free for about 8 months, and i honestly don't even miss it anymore. Unless i'm forced into a pizzeria or something haha. But really, it's so easy there are delicious gluten free substitutes for almost everything! Dairy was harder for me, but now that i haven't had it in 2 or 3 months i definitely notice that i get new breakouts when i do eat it by accident. Yay for you!

thanks for the kind words and post! Glad to hear thing are working out for you too!

I also feel better when not consuming dairy. It seems cheese doesn't bother me so much but I haven't had a drink of milk in about a month. I do miss it though!

I am buying calcium and vitamin D enriched Tropicana orange juice.

So far, so good. :)

Anyone suggest high calorie foods? Its hard because of my strict diet and limiting all dairy and wheat/grains (I do have oatmeal sometimes).

While my acne is doing great and I love the results, I dont like how I feel physically. I am not working out as hard because my calorie intake is half as what it used to be.

What can I eat that will give me lots of calories? My clothes are not fitting and I dont feel as healthy but then again, my acne is doing great. Why can't I have both?

Edited by steeler

Well, I broke out yesterday because I ate foods that I knew would probably aggravate my acne. I ate a huge serving of boston market's mashed potatoes and spaghetti with cheese.

I did this for two reasons: to see if it would make me break out and I wanted to intake more calories

Today, I have gone back to my diet and my acne is already going down. I am at 123 lbs and I am 5'7. I really don't want to go below 120lbs and I am having a difficult time eating non processed foods that are high in calories.

I wil have to do some research on dairy/wheat free calorie supplements.

I'm kinda in the same position as you, also 26 and also battling acne for many years. I really can't even remember what it feels like to not worry about it, BUT i am confident it will be gone soon and i will be a better person for it.

If you want to gain weight i'd suggest more fat in the form of coconut oil and more meat and eggs.

Stuff like that will put weight on you if you're working out and eating more calories than you are burning.

5'7 123 is very underweight, for a guy (i assume you are male?). I'm the same height as you but i'm 160 lbs and i feel skinny sometimes even though i know i'm not. You should try hitting the gym and eating a bit more meat and fat (that's if you really want to gain weight).

I'm kinda in the same position as you, also 26 and also battling acne for many years. I really can't even remember what it feels like to not worry about it, BUT i am confident it will be gone soon and i will be a better person for it.

If you want to gain weight i'd suggest more fat in the form of coconut oil and more meat and eggs.

Stuff like that will put weight on you if you're working out and eating more calories than you are burning.

5'7 123 is very underweight, for a guy (i assume you are male?). I'm the same height as you but i'm 160 lbs and i feel skinny sometimes even though i know i'm not. You should try hitting the gym and eating a bit more meat and fat (that's if you really want to gain weight).

I am female. Why did you assume I was male? :)

I am eating grassfed beef, eggs, and coconut is more inflammatory so i want to avoid that.

I do go to the gym but I am avoiding moderate cardio because I do not want to lose weight.

What is your diet like?

Thanks for responding to my thread! Its nice to hear from somebody!