Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chikyuu

Well that makes me self conscious.

I was on a makeup forum and one of the "most popular" threads was on about this girl who "has the worst acne she's ever had."

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/pnuema775/thumb.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/pnuema775/thumb1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/pnuema775/thumb2.jpg

And many of the replies said "You need to see a dermatologist! That's really bad!"

Before the regimen I had acne as bad as that... and I never got to see a dermatologist because I don't have any money =/

*Guh*

Why does it make you self concious if you no longer have acne like that? Just curious.

I suppose it's because acne that on this site may be labeled as "mild moderate," on a site about makeup and beauty is "so horrible go to the derm right away!"

No need to feel self conscious, I think the statement was more towards concern rather than offensive. I looked at the pics and it really does look bad and a derm would be the best suggestion. Usually if acne gets that bad, it could be something more serious. You never know.....we're all here to help and relate, I don't think any1 is judging and if they came on here to do that, fuck em.

My acne is more mild than that and when I was at the doctor she was freaking out. "have you ever considered accutane?!" "You have a lot of redness" and then she just kept going on and on. I mean yes I know I some people think how could you possibly walk around with all that acne on your face but seriously...I can't do antibiotics. I can't use topical prescriptions/topical antibiotics. I'm definitely not healthy enough to even consider accutane nor would I want to. I can't get rid of it with diet so I'm just going to have to deal with it and hope that some supplement I'm taking will magically make it disappear one day. It's hard to get up in the morning and think of all the shit you're doing for your face and realize you still keep getting acne. It just leads to thinking of what to do next and then you realize you can't keep changing things.

Anyway, I think that my doctor was just concerned because I have multiple skin problems and I definitely do need to be treating them somehow. They are becoming very disruptive to my daily life and nobody knows what to do. The derms are so ignorant too. I told mine I can't take antibiotics because I get yeast infections and I find out that the topical she gave me gets absorbed into the body and I was wondering why things were getting worse...

I doubt most people know someone with truly severe acne, partially because of how social pressures keep those very people from mingling nearly as much as those with clear skin. Average people are misrepresented in social settings, and then popular media further warps what's considered a "normal" appearance.

As for the people on that makeup forum, it's just innocent, but still unfortunate, ignorance. Not much that can be done there, when much larger forces are responsible for such widespread distortion of reality.