Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strwberry2178

How do you know if your skin is oily?

That probably sounds like a really silly question. But after I wash my face...it doesn't feel oily until like 5+hours later. Like if I wipe my finger on any part of my face...especially my forehead...there is an oily shine on my finger afterwards. Does that mean I mean oily skin...or it's just shiny? I've been using tons of products over the years for oily skin...but I have no idea if I REALLY have oily skin. My nose isn't usually oily/shiny...but by the end of the day...the rest of my face feels oily.

It sounds oily to me! :)

By the way, Drs. Kligman and Shelley said in that big 1958 study (the one that found that washing doesn't stimulate the skin to produce more sebum) that the most sensitive test that lay people can do to check foir oil is probably just to hold a flat piece of glass against their skin. Even tiny amounts of oil can be detected on the glass afterwards, when you hold it up to the light. They said that's probably the most sensitive test that people can do.

Lol there's no skin type that's just "shiny"....pretty damn sure you have oily skin...if its just ur forehead though its probably combination skin, research products for that skin type. Foam cleansers will probably work best for you.

Well the reason I asked about it was because I read somewhere online that if your skin gets oily after 15 minutes of washing it..that means you have oily skin. Mine takes hours to get oily...and I didn't know if everyone's skin gets shiny and oily-ish like mid-way through the day.