Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hellotoeverybody

The FINAL puzzle in The Acne mystery (It's true, I swear.)

I take no credits for this, I am just refering to a thread thats already here on the forum, but in another section, however, I think this thread is worth mentioning for everybody - and especially people that are interested in the holistic view on acne!

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Zinc-Zinc...ul-t243340.html

This explains the biggest acne mystery of all, the confusing question why people that live in traditional ways have zero acne, like those who live in Trobriand Island. Many people have succeeded with eating less carbs and also reducing their acne, many have tried the paleo diet which have helped, but still they havent gotten completely clear!

This thread explains why, and how you can become completely clear, and actually eat more carbs (though its better to avoid them, for other reasons)

I just came over it and found it magnificent, its GREAT science work, and FINALLY everybody have the knowledge, due to this thread, to get completely clear!

Good luck! The day have come!

Edited by hellotoeverybody

An important factor, yes. And pretty well known here. But not the Final piece of the puzzle at all. In fact you can't even name any of the many factors as the final piece. Or the one true cure the OP of that thread claims. Some factors may have a bigger impact in some people than others. And sometimes you can just address one or two factors and achieve clear skin. But it doesn't prove that those one or two factors were all that mattered.

I myself have spent several summers spending all day everyday out in the sun and light and sleeping well with a regular schedule and in the dark. It did not improve my skin one bit. And I haven't read the thread in many months, but I did follow it for quite a while and never noticed anyone ever able to replicate the OPs claims that the light exposure and sleep allows people to eat high refined carb crappy diets.

There's a reason why he keeps his posts on the adult forum and not the holistic.

And yes, it is better, not to avoid carbs, but to follow eating habits that keep blood sugar stable and to avoid or limit empty carbs. and anything you have an intolerance for. For many reasons. And in one of his threads, in response to a comment from me, the OP has said he only cares about clear skin. Nothing else.

Edited by alternativista

If you say so that you have tried it, and it didnt work for you, I think you should ask the OP what reason that could be, and try again following his tips. I agree with you that one thing works for one and not for another one, but I think this is REALLY interesting, as it explains completely the most interesting question and that is:

Why do people on trobriand Island have zero acne? and in the western society almost 50% of the people have acne on any given day. So then what is different? As they have ZERO, 0, nothing of acne, we have to think about the biggest differences between us and them. And what is that? Stress? No, I guess we stress more, but I guess they also stress some days, so then at least 1 or 2 of them should have 1 or 2 pimples, but its zero. So we have to think about the really HUGE differences. And that is:

- Food - indeed is very important! But why do people living in western societies and eating paleo food still have some acne? It sure helps to eat it, and for some people a strict diet can actually make them completely clear, but for most of us that is not enough! WHY? WHY?

- The answer lies in another big difference between us and them - and that is light exposure - Remember that your body is made up of genes - and that those genes have a LONG history - And in all that long history (almost) those genes have lived with light exposure from the sun in the days, and living with completely darkness in the night. Therefore your body is adapt to that - and not like what its normal in a western society. For example you sit inside, its bright, but u are inside. Do you know that your digestion system think its night? Do you know that your digestion system works worse than what it would've done if you where outside in the light.. And this is just one side-effect of what can be very many. Whats amazing about this is that its make so much sense.. and you should really try it out - for a simple reason - it works! But of course you should still eat healthy ! But you actually can eat worse food if you follow his regimen.

And as this is acne forum, I think the main focus must be to get rid of acne and get clear skin as long that is not very dangerous, for example taking overdose of drugs, however, if he have a acne cure, but he says u can still drink a coke, he must be allowed to say! Because the importance is that he know a cure for acne!

If you say so that you have tried it, and it didnt work for you, I think you should ask the OP what reason that could be, and try again following his tips. I agree with you that one thing works for one and not for another one, but I think this is REALLY interesting, as it explains completely the most interesting question and that is:

Why do people on trobriand Island have zero acne? and in the western society almost 50% of the people have acne on any given day. So then what is different? ...

!Because the importance is that he know a cure for acne!

Sigh.

There is no such thing as a cure for acne. There are many habits and health issues that contribute to acne that can be avoided resulting in clear skin. Many habits. Light exposure is just one of them.

There are many differences between the lifestyle habits, genetics, and health of Trobiand Islanders and us.

And, I have asked him. If you look you'll find I've made many comments in that thread and elsewhere. I've also yet to see a response to anyone asking if anyone else has gotten results with this method. I just skimmed the last few pages of that thread to check out recent posts and saw that someone asked that question. And I did not see a response to it.

Besides, I already maintain clear skin with my diet and lifestyle habits that include good sleep and getting out into the light daily. But the first change I made was to diet and it cleared me.

"There are many differences between the lifestyle habits, genetics, and health of Trobiand Islanders and us."

I believe there is some, but the clearly most important ones - is food and - light exposure. And this have to be the question. Why do the Trobriand Islanders have zero acne? Zero. It can not be genetics, because when such indigenous people move and live in a western society, they also get acne! So what you have listed up there is basically about food. However, you can come long with food, and for some a strict diet is enough to clear up, but for msot people diet is not enough - and here is the other interesting factor - light, if you can value our evolutionary past and how important that knowledge is to understand the body - its very logical, its easy to understand that natural light exposure can cure acne, however - a healthy diet is adviseable also! And remember - this is not about him or her, this is about that we have a cure for acne - I have not heard of anyone who followed his regimen strictly, and didnt get cured.

- - when such indigenous people move and live in a western society, they also get acne!
Do you have any proof for that claim that a person who move from a ethnically cohesive group of people where acne is unknown to a western society he or she gets acne?

hello that something in theory works doesnt mean its true. You dont know the exact amounts and effects. Besides that the effects can vary from person to person. Databased isnt eating 10 pizzas on his regimen so you dont really know if its the cure. I read trew the post and he still cuts back on a lot of things.

And remember - this is not about him or her, this is about that we have a cure for acne - I have not heard of anyone who followed his regimen strictly, and didnt get cured.

Some indigenous people develop acne upon moving to Western lifestyles. Some don't.

And I've yet to see a single other person say this worked for them. Can you please point to any posts from anyone who says that this regimen combined with sodas and other crap food cleared them?

I agree that the circadian cycle is a very important factor. But it isn't the cure. There are all kinds of things going on in your body. All kinds of give and take. And some people's bodies do different things with the few resources it has.

Yep, some indigenous people get acne when moving to a western lifestyle and some not. Just like us. Around 50%.

I think you are misunderstanding. Is not like if you get into the natural light exposure- and melatonin-cycles, you can do whatever you want.

If you read his regimen he also say you should avoid carbs, however, when you follow his regimen many people can eat a little more carbs then what they could, without.

The whole point is that, this is the final puzzle, because we all know that paleo food will help a lot, but as said above - for many people, changes in diet only, is not enough - but when combined with this you are certain to get acne free. And you know why?

It's simply because you then have a lifestyle as similar as possible to such indigenous people as those of the Trobriand Islands who have zero acne, and as similar as possible to what your genes are adapt to. You think maybe, what about physical activity? Sure it can help, both for insulin levels etc, and also for the melatonin cycles - so that is recommended too! But dont forget the essence in this, which is eat traditional foods which your genes are evolved to adapt, and live in the daylight in the day, and completely darkness in the night.

So the bottom line, food is important, but if you combine it with this you get clear. Simply as that.

I don't misunderstand anything. You misunderstand. This melatonin cycle is just one factor, not anymore important than the many others. Such as the the diet and physical activity/fitness you mention.

There is not one true cure. There is no cure, any more than there is a cure to diabetes and heart disease, or really just about any health issue. There is only diet, lifestyle and health habits that lead to acne (and health issues) that can be controlled. Or drugs that treat symptoms.

I believe you know very much about acne, much more then me, however, yes - I think you ARE misunderstanding.

What I am trying to say is that it's EXTREMELY interesting to look at studies done at indigenous people who have zero acne, and they have concluded with that it's not genetics reason they dont get it, as they get it in the same ratio as all of us other people when they start living in a western society. Allright, so then it has to be differences in enviroments..

I think we have the answers here! And here is where all the science work should start from, acknowledging these facts!

So what are the enviromental differences between us and indigenous people? More physical activity(I guess), eating more dirt, less air pollution (probably), and many, many more!! BUT I think the two most important differences between us and them is diet and light exposure. The reason I value light exposure so high is explained above, however - I think in general people do NOT acknowledge how much melatonin cycles have to say for health and acne, and the reason for that, is that science work about this is very new, and have not been worked a lot with, but in the coming years, I believe we will see an enormous tecnological development of lights that is trying to cope the sun in classrooms etc.

So, why I am I so mad about this? Because I think most people are aware of that eating healthy is important, as well as physical activity. And yeah people know its important to sleep well, but how is "well" defined? I think not many now that! What a "healthy" melatonin cycle is, and how you obtain one, and that it can be the last puzzle in your acne-mystery ! !

I cleared my skin up living in a basement for three months and getting EXTREMELY minimal sunlight exposure with one seriously whacked out sleep schedule. I'm fairly certain my melatonin cycle was very much in a terrible state - though my diet was pristine.

As mentioned before, it's just one factor of many. I'd also wager that people on a paleo-ish diet may still break out because 1. Things take time to clear up or 2. They're still eating something they are unknowingly (or knowingly) sensitive to.

To claim there is a single concept that will entirely clear everyone's acne is sheer idiocy.

I think the title would be more accurately written as,"The final piece of the acne puzzle".

A puzzle in the sense you are speaking means mystery. That would be like saying,"The final mystery of the acne mystery".

Acne has been around for a very long time,in many different nations. What cures one person does not help another.

This also has been talked about for years on this board.You didn't come to some miraculous conclusion.

"To claim there is a single concept that will entirely clear everyone's acne is sheer idiocy." If this were pointing to me, you either havent read what I've been writing, or you didnt understand it.

However, I think many people know about the importance of good sleep, but as said above, I believe a good sleep have a new definition for most people, when reading his thread. And I believe for many people that eat a paleo diet, this can be the last piece of the puzzle for many of them.

"To claim there is a single concept that will entirely clear everyone's acne is sheer idiocy." If this were pointing to me, you either havent read what I've been writing, or you didnt understand it.

However, I think many people know about the importance of good sleep, but as said above, I believe a good sleep have a new definition for most people, when reading his thread. And I believe for many people that eat a paleo diet, this can be the last piece of the puzzle for many of them.

I was not referring directly to you so much as the original claim being made.

Proper sleep is good. We get it. We've gotten it for quite some time. But a proper sleep cycle alone is probably not going to clear many people up. Yes, it's important to overall health and therefore important for our skin.

However, the author of that topic makes assumptions and jumps to the conclusion that because it's possible for melatonin issues to be A cause for SOME people's acne, that it is THE cause for EVERYONE'S acne. It simply is not true. He also thinks an apple is just as bad for you as a Coke - which is stupid to say the least.

From what I gather - you're saying all we need to do is follow what he says and we'll all be acne free! Well, sorry, but it just doesn't work that way.

I think the title would be more accurately written as,"The final piece of the acne puzzle".

The word final is not accurate anywhere. It's a goofy thing to say.

Edited by alternativista

I believe you know very much about acne, much more then me, however, yes - I think you ARE misunderstanding.

No. It's still you. I agree it's interesting. And I agree a natural circadian cycle is important. We've known that for some time. That's why if you click on the links in my thread, you'll find discussions going back years. Apparently it's new info for you and I guess you are understandably excited about it. But it's still one factor of many and not necessarily more important or any more 'final' than any other.

Also, I can't help but notice that you never respond to my comments that I've yet to see another person besides the OP of that thread say that this method allows them to consume colas and junk food and be clear.

For one thing, the amount of melatonin produced in the body reduces with age. Now, I am sure that lifestyle and diet are factors, but nevertheless, since younger people produce more melatonin, this may not be near as big a factor for them as those of us over forty, such as the OP.

BTW, there really is no point in you telling me about the Trobian islanders over and over. I was already aware of all of this.

Edited by alternativista

Proper sleep is good. We get it. We've gotten it for quite some time. But a proper sleep cycle alone is probably not going to clear many people up. Yes, it's important to overall health and therefore important for our skin.

I think you got to read about his theory, because as even I have explained, it's more than just having a good nights sleep, as he says himself - whats unique about the theory is that the daylight exposure is probably the most important to get a healthy and good melatonin cycle.

Also, I can't help but notice that you never respond to my comments that I've yet to see another person besides the OP of that thread say that this method allows them to consume colas and junk food and be clear.

This is because I dont find it interesting, as I don't think its possible for most people, however it depends on the quantity of course.. All i've said is that with his regimen you can consume a little more carbohydrates, because your digestive- and other systems works better when they "think" its daytime, when it is day, and nighttime when it is night. With other words - your body works better when you get into your natural circadian rythm, and can therefore handle more - logically enough!

For one thing, the amount of melatonin produced in the body reduces with age. Now, I am sure that lifestyle and diet are factors, but nevertheless, since younger people produce more melatonin, this may not be near as big a factor for them as those of us over forty, such as the OP.

Sure this can be a factor.

However, the author of that topic makes assumptions and jumps to the conclusion that because it's possible for melatonin issues to be A cause for SOME people's acne, that it is THE cause for EVERYONE'S acne. It simply is not true.

Of course humans are different, and react very different on different types of food etc. However, we all have a biological clock, and I think most of us in the western world does not respect that as much as we should.

He also thinks an apple is just as bad for you as a Coke - which is stupid to say the least.

Well it depends in what sense, in the sense of general health, or spesifically talking about acne? If he have said that they are both as bad, he meant that its both as bad for getting acne, according to his theory.

From what I gather - you're saying all we need to do is follow what he says and we'll all be acne free! Well, sorry, but it just doesn't work that way.

Then you are a bad gatherer, or I am a bad presenter. Because what I mean is - said in a short way - this knowledge is underestimated (and also unkown for many, especially about the daylight importance), and can therefore in my opinion, for many people, be the final puzzle.

However, the author of that topic makes assumptions and jumps to the conclusion that because it's possible for melatonin issues to be A cause for SOME people's acne, that it is THE cause for EVERYONE'S acne. It simply is not true.

Of course humans are different, and react very different on different types of food etc. However, we all have a biological clock, and I think most of us in the western world does not respect that as much as we should.

He also thinks an apple is just as bad for you as a Coke - which is stupid to say the least.

Well it depends in what sense, in the sense of general health, or spesifically talking about acne? If he have said that they are both as bad, he meant that its both as bad for getting acne, according to his theory.

Then you are a bad gatherer, or I am a bad presenter. Because what I mean is - said in a short way - this knowledge is underestimated (and also unkown for many, especially about the daylight importance), and can therefore in my opinion, for many people, be the final puzzle.

I know what his theories are and I also know that they are nothing more than another factor - as stated several times before by more than just myself.

Again, we KNOW that the circadian rhythm is important. But you're ignoring the fact that it's not necessarily THE most important nor is it going to cure everyone's acne. Hell, it's not even likely to cure MOST people's acne - not without other health factors.

You clearly don't know much about databased. He has stated his apple-coke concept several times that I have read and it wasn't referring to acne alone. Even in that instance, it is entirely wrong. A coke will break me out. An apple will not. Though fruits in general can give cause to some folks. He seems to imply since they both contain sugar, that they are both nutritionally unsound. Clearly, apples contain many more nutrients than a can of Coke.

I vote that you're a bad presenter and I still disagree. Many people would be able to clear their skin without following this theory. I sure did.

The point at hand is that this is NOT the final piece of the puzzle and I doubt it would be even for "many people". This is especially true for people on this forum considering a lot of people already know this here. It may not be a well known factor outside of acne.org but posting it here AGAIN isn't really going to change that.

You clearly don't know much about databased. He has stated his apple-coke concept several times that I have read and it wasn't referring to acne alone. Even in that instance, it is entirely wrong. A coke will break me out. An apple will not. Though fruits in general can give cause to some folks. He seems to imply since they both contain sugar, that they are both nutritionally unsound. Clearly, apples contain many more nutrients than a can of Coke.

And he comes here periodically looking for a thread where he can tell us his coke/apple story, but never, ever goes back to respond to anyone else's comments.

your body works better when you get into your natural circadian rythm, and can therefore handle more - logically enough!

Yes. That is true. The same is equally true for level of physical fitness/activity, stress, and many other equally important factors.

True. And equally true for many other factors.

this knowledge is underestimated (and also unkown for many, especially about the daylight importance),

Yep, and equally true for many other factors. So, for example, for many people food intolerances, be the 'final piece of the puzzle.'

high dose zinc is not the best idea, it depletes copper and might interfere with magnesium absorption.

severe copper deficiency can cause nerve damage, and anuerisms. copper is necessary for the enzyme lysl oxidase, which makes collagen which is very important to the structure of blood vessel walls.