Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jasmonia25

What antibiotic next!!?

i have been on differin for almost 2 years now and its been pretty good, keeps it at bay but still get break outs which leaves red marks, during that time i've combined differin with mino and bactrim. mino was workin fine for about half a year then effects worn off and i decided to try bactrim as it was meant to be the holy grail of antibiotics, first 2 months was alright still kept it bay but i still had my occasional bad days where for few days strait i wuld breakout and clear up and that cycle just keeps repeating, recently though my front bit of my elbow has become unbearable itchy and when i scratch it bleeds almost instantly and now stings, i dont know what but im 90% sure bactrim is causing this, so now i need a new antibiotic, any suggestions??

Antibiotics are not permanent solution. So you should find a regimen. My suggestion is to take some fatty acids like grape seed oil or omega3 (or flax seed or linseed, read about it). This will help with you sebum composition hopefully and reducing redness and inflammation (linoleic acid). If you are taking antibiotics, protect the skin with moisturizer based on skin lipids (mixed with aloe vera, just a thin layer) and protect yourself from the sun. Drink plenty of water, change your pillow cover frequently.

i know its not a permanant solution, but i was hoping it would suffice till i grow out of it, im 18 so hoping before my 20's i get my old face back, i want to target it good aswell because i dont want redness and scars to ruin my face

so now i need a new antibiotic, any suggestions??

Azithromycin combined with low-dose doxycycline. They work the problem from both ends: decreasing bacteria and decreasing the host response.

Of course, if you're also living a high-fructose lifestyle (lots of sugary fruits or soft drinks, etc.), destroying your sleep cycle on a regular basis, and living in dim indoor light every day, you won't get the best results.

^^^ wow, that pretty much sumed up my life, lots of soft drinks, only recently cut down on fatty foods, i have maccus etc. only once twice every month and my sleep pattern is horrible, never in bed til after at least 1 am, ill make sure to work on these things and properly a dumb question but what do you mean by decrease host response?

That is the reason to use fatty acids (consume also), to reduce redness and inflammation. <At least attack the problem from different angles, instead of only killing bacteria. Research on fatty acids, linoleic acid for instance and its benefits to inflammation. Moisturize the skin with a thin layer and in strongholds, another little tiny thin layer of BP 2,5% (just prone areas, befor the mositurizer). When you see a pimple incoming, put some Effaclar A.I on the spot to avoid inflammation (it contain Salicylic Acid) ... why? inflammation cause scarring.

IMHO, don't use any antibiotics, and find a more holistic approach. Start by changing your diet, taking some good probiotics, and start a good supplement regimen. In the long run, I think that antibiotics have made my skin worse, so I stopped taking them for good!

IMHO, don't use any antibiotics, and find a more holistic approach. Start by changing your diet, taking some good probiotics, and start a good supplement regimen. In the long run, I think that antibiotics have made my skin worse, so I stopped taking them for good!

I stopped antibiotics after 90days on bactrim and started a good probiotic that keeps refrigerated, and a week into it my cysts and horrible acne is coming back. Now 2 weeks later it is even worse and continueing to get that way.

I stopped antibiotics after 90days on bactrim and started a good probiotic that keeps refrigerated, and a week into it my cysts and horrible acne is coming back. Now 2 weeks later it is even worse and continueing to get that way.

What kind of probiotic are you using, if you don't mind? I have tried one before that also did absolutely nothing!

What kind of probiotic are you using, if you don't mind? I have tried one before that also did absolutely nothing!

I am taking Natures Way Primadolphius Bifidus. I am starting to think probiotics just break me out more, because before bactrim i took probiotics for about a month and was getting worse acne. Now may be a diff story because i quit the antibiotics. I know my stomach issues have went away but i am debating on starting Bactrim again tonight because these horrible cysts i just can not deal with, i look awful.

I am taking Natures Way Primadolphius Bifidus. I am starting to think probiotics just break me out more, because before bactrim i took probiotics for about a month and was getting worse acne. Now may be a diff story because i quit the antibiotics. I know my stomach issues have went away but i am debating on starting Bactrim again tonight because these horrible cysts i just can not deal with, i look awful.

Are you dairy free? I looked on Nature's Way website, and this particular probiotic contains a residual amount of milk protein...this could be a problem. I started on Acidophilus Pearls, which contained a milk protein, and it broke me out as well! So I switched to a dairy free probiotic.

i have been on differin for almost 2 years now and its been pretty good, keeps it at bay but still get break outs which leaves red marks, during that time i've combined differin with mino and bactrim. mino was workin fine for about half a year then effects worn off and i decided to try bactrim as it was meant to be the holy grail of antibiotics, first 2 months was alright still kept it bay but i still had my occasional bad days where for few days strait i wuld breakout and clear up and that cycle just keeps repeating, recently though my front bit of my elbow has become unbearable itchy and when i scratch it bleeds almost instantly and now stings, i dont know what but im 90% sure bactrim is causing this, so now i need a new antibiotic, any suggestions??

Stop the Bactrim immediately and call your doctor about the itching.

Are you dairy free? I looked on Nature's Way website, and this particular probiotic contains a residual amount of milk protein...this could be a problem. I started on Acidophilus Pearls, which contained a milk protein, and it broke me out as well! So I switched to a dairy free probiotic.

Interesting point because it seems when i take whey protein shakes i get horrible breakouts as well, but the bottle says minimal residue of milk or soy protein so i thought it would have minimal effect as far as acne as well.

Interesting point because it seems when i take whey protein shakes i get horrible breakouts as well, but the bottle says minimal residue of milk or soy protein so i thought it would have minimal effect as far as acne as well.

That's what I thought when I started taking Acidophilus Pearls, despite the package saying that it contained a residual amount of milk protein. I had just got off Minocycline, and started the Pearls, and things got worse. I switched over to Florajen 3, which is a bit more expensive, and things are starting to turn around after 10 days of taking this probiotic. I just started incorporating some zinc into my regimen. If I were you, man, I'd also avoid going back on the Bactrim if you can. I took this for a LONG time, and you can possibly have some other issues with this, or any other antibiotic for that matter. I've been on here recently trying to warn others of these "poisons"!

That's what I thought when I started taking Acidophilus Pearls, despite the package saying that it contained a residual amount of milk protein. I had just got off Minocycline, and started the Pearls, and things got worse. I switched over to Florajen 3, which is a bit more expensive, and things are starting to turn around after 10 days of taking this probiotic. I just started incorporating some zinc into my regimen. If I were you, man, I'd also avoid going back on the Bactrim if you can. I took this for a LONG time, and you can possibly have some other issues with this, or any other antibiotic for that matter. I've been on here recently trying to warn others of these "poisons"!

Ya i think i will go look tomorrow for one that does not contain milk or soy protein in it. Hopefully there is one. I am trying to hold out to see my GP next week for some topical sulfur sulmate

I was desperate and went to a derm who put me on Minocycline at the end of July. My skin seemed to improve at first, then the cysts slowly started creeping back. In addition, I had caught a nasty jock itch, probably due to a yeast overgrowth. In the middle of October, ditched the Mincocycline, and started on Acidophilus Pearls (contains a milk protein), again to no avail, more breakouts, and still itching and irritated from jock itch! At the end of October, I see my GP, and she gives me antifungal Nizoral 200mg (Ketoconazole) tablets to take for a 10 day course, along with a non-itch Nystatin Powder. Within a few days, it starts clearing up...but STILL breaking out. I do some research on the net, only to find out the Minocycline contains Lactose Monohydrate (a milk protein!), as well as Ketoconazole!!! After 4 days of taking the Nizoral tablets, I ditch those as well, based on my research. I immediately start on a dairy-free probiotic, and everything is starting to improve. I recently starting adding zinc along with my probiotic. In addition, to acne, I've always had horrible shaving issues - folliculitis! Here's where it gets interesting, I've read that this is could be caused by long term antibiotic use, but never fully understood what that meant! I'm hoping I've finally found the missing link!!! I believe that my folliculitis was caused by gram negative bacteria, which is derived from destroyed gut flora through antibiotics. If you abuse antibiotics, you are doing an injustice to your immune system. I'm also trying to normalize my bowels, I'm sick and tired of runny, watery, loose bowels! Again, DO NOT USE ANTIBIOTICS!!!

what do you mean by decrease host response?

After years of treating certain diseases as problems of bacteria, some researchers finally began to ask the key question: how come lots of people have the same bacteria but don't get the disease?

The most popular answer at this point is that it's not the bacteria causing the problem, it's your immune system's reaction to the bacteria. More specifically, it goes something like: bacteria brushes against the toll-like receptors in a human cell, the human cell defends by spewing out superoxide anions to kill the bacteria (as it should). But then, in healthy people, the dampening side of the immune system kicks in and mops up those deadly superoxide anions with various antioxidant chemicals. In less healthy people, though, cells can't produce enough antioxidant chemicals and those superoxide anions go on to start killing human cells. That triggers a whole s**tstorm of immune response because other parts of the immune system decide somebody is killing lots of human cells (even though the bacteria wasn't really going to kill much of anything on its own in the first place).

In other words, it's not the bacteria, it's the way your body responds to the bacteria (aka "host response", as in your body is the "host organism" for the bacteria). This is a more or less accepted model of periodontal disease at this point (how come everybody's got bacteria in their mouth, but only some people get problems from it?). I think it will also be an accepted model for acne within a few years; only in recent years was the basic mechanism demonstrated with skin cells and P. acnes bacteria in the test tube.

So, whether I wanted quick treatment for acne or periodontal disease, my first choice in either case would be combining azithromycin with something like low-dose doxycycline, which should both decrease the bacteria and the host response. Of course, once you believe the disease is a problem with the host system, it makes little sense to intervene with anti-biotics if you aren't going to also change the systemic problems that allowed the disease to appear in the first place.

Fructose (but some other carbs can work, too) is one thing that can keep you from digesting nutrients (notably, zinc, Vitamin B, and tryptophan) your cells need to make the antioxidants that help dampen the host response to bacteria -- especially if you live in dim indoor light all day (surprisingly, bright light has a direct impact on your ability to digest carbs during the day). Probably the most important antioxidant you need to manufacture from those nutrients is melatonin, which is why screwing up your sleep cycle is yet another key technique for getting bacteria-related diseases like acne and periodontal disease.

IMHO. :D

And, like Wynne said, you should be talking to your doctor about any adverse reaction that might be associated with the prescription you're currently on.

Thanks for the info guys, i've stopped the bactrim for almost a week now and itchyness is pretty much gone, im going to see is there any cream to fix the leftover marks left from scratching, im also sh**ing myself that a huge breakout will come from stopping bactrim so i might ask for doxy and that other antibiotic

Guest Timehealsall
Thanks for the info guys, i've stopped the bactrim for almost a week now and itchyness is pretty much gone, im going to see is there any cream to fix the leftover marks left from scratching, im also sh**ing myself that a huge breakout will come from stopping bactrim so i might ask for doxy and that other antibiotic

gl finding an antibiotic that works for you. I am on doxy and i am not sure if its working too well..

Your lucky that you are treating your acne early so you wont have scars and massive PIH. others, like me, are not so lucky...

Just curious but how big are your breakouts normally?

on my worst breakouts i have up 6 pimples, there kinda small and redish but im pretty sure there not cysts nor whiteheads :S but the red marks it sometimes leaves makes my face look like i got more then i do, oh and usually goes away within a week sometimes just couple of days, problem is the cycle keeps continuing , i will only be one pimple away from clear then another couple will surface my face and so on, im pretty sure the antibiotic side of thing has helped in this thus im not willing to take the risk just using differin without a antibiotic