Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
prolog

Do all of you guys sleep on your back?

Does sleeping on your side lead to breakouts?

If so, how do you prevent yourself from moving while sleeping?

Personally I've slept on my side for ages and it has never really led to breakouts... But then again that could be just me. If you use fabric softener on your pillowcases, that can also lead to breakouts.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Personally I've slept on my side for ages and it has never really led to breakouts... But then again that could be just me. If you use fabric softener on your pillowcases, that can also lead to breakouts.

As would not thoroughly rinsing your pillow case and washing it often.

I'm not on the regimen, but I do sleep on my back. Part of that was for my skin, but i noticed my hips are no longer prone to being in pain now that I sleep on my back. And I deep from turning over just by... not turning over! Can't explain it. I just had to let my body get used to it. I'll still sometimes be turned almost on my side, like 2/3rds of the way, but I"m never fully on my side. And I don't think it has helped at all with my acne.

Yup washing your pillowcases is IMPORTANT! I clean mine at least once a week! And I flip the sides of the pillow around so I'm always on a clean side.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

i sleep either on my back, or on my stomach with my face on a pillow.

I also wrap my pillow in a clean, fresh towel every night before i sleep, so i never have to change my pillow cases :P

unless i... y'know, spill something on it.

I try to sleep on my back as much as possible, or at least sleep with my head on the edge of the pillow so my face isn't touching it. I do end up with my face on the pillow sometimes. I wouldn't say it contributes to new acne but it does seem to "suck" the moisturizer from my face, contributing to flakes. And we all know how annoying flakes are!

I'm not on the regimen, but I do sleep on my back. Part of that was for my skin, but i noticed my hips are no longer prone to being in pain now that I sleep on my back. And I deep from turning over just by... not turning over! Can't explain it. I just had to let my body get used to it. I'll still sometimes be turned almost on my side, like 2/3rds of the way, but I"m never fully on my side. And I don't think it has helped at all with my acne.

If you're not on the regimen, then why are you on these forums?

I really can not sleep on my back, I need to roll myself up in my blanket and sleep on my side or stomach to be comfortable :)

I don't think it leads to break outs, and if it does, so be it.. If I'm going to lay on my back I'm going to get break outs from sleep deprivation.

If you're not on the regimen, then why are you on these forums?

Is that a rule? :rolleyes:

Anyways I'm not on the regimen either, but did try the whole sleeping only on my back thing and the only way i could do it without turning over in my sleep was to sleep on the couch. So yes i banned myself from my own bed for months just to try this theory out of not letting my face touch anything at night. I would wake up each time on couch since its narrow if i started to turn.

Well it didnt work or i never saw a change in my breakouts, of course i wouldnt expect anything diff since nothing works anyway it seems. Plus after a while it was starting to get very uncomfortable sleeping in that position, even though my couch is very comfortable.

I've been trying to sleep on my back to see if it will stop acne, but I just cannot fall asleep that way. I just lay there staring at the ceiling. How does one "train" themselves to sleep on their back?

It took about a week to get into the routine of not turning over and it was kind of uncomfortable, since it means you don't have any other position to switch to. You just lie there feeling a bit claustrophobic, instead of being able to switch from side to side like you would usually. One technique I used to train myself was to fold my pillow in half, so it was too narrow for me to turn over without my head falling off of it.

I tried this for about a month and probably got more spots through lack of sleep than I saved from avoiding my face touching the pillow. ;) No improvement.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Does sleeping on your side lead to breakouts?

If so, how do you prevent yourself from moving while sleeping?

You just keep telling yourself to not sleep on ur side, and correct yourself everytime you aren't sleeping on your back. Slowly it will become natural. Just like if you used to touch your face and you trained yourself to no longer touch it.

I also wrap my pillow in a clean, fresh towel every night before i sleep, so i never have to change my pillow cases :P

haha! so do i!!!! people think i am a weirdo. oooh, well. i use baby bibs tho, like those soft soft towels. They r so soft =)

I wouldn't say it contributes to new acne but it does seem to "suck" the moisturizer from my face, contributing to flakes. And we all know how annoying flakes are!

i agree! takes the lotion clean off, the BP too. Pillow cover has a yellowish color in the morning (new moisturizer).

I've been trying to sleep on my back to see if it will stop acne, but I just cannot fall asleep that way. I just lay there staring at the ceiling. How does one "train" themselves to sleep on their back?

Someday that you are very very tired just go to bed and i highly doubt that sleeping on your back will prevent you from dozing off. You'll be so tired u really wouldn't be able to care less of the position u r sleeping in.

Don´t know why but since 3 years ago I started to sleep face down. Before that I used to sleep face up. Now these last weeks I have been trying to sleep face up again or at least on one of my sides.

Honestly I don´t think (at least in my case) this matters too much.

On summer when my skin improves a lot because of the sun I slept face down during 15 nights with the same pillow (which during the day I put in a supermarket plastic bag) and my acne didn´t worsened. Also during those 15 days I only used two towels and never cleaned them.

To sum up, I think it is more important to sleep face up or at least on one of your sides than changing the pillow every night.

Honestly (correct me if I´m wrong) I never understood the necessity of changing pillows and towels every day. I know that they got dirty but being the acne bacteria an anaerobic bacteria I don´t think that could matter too much.

But as I have learned from this forums, every acne has its own partcularities and things that don´t work on someone, actually work on others so...

Guest Timehealsall
I sleep curled up on my side. I've tried sleeping on my back before... and it actually kinda hurts my back.

how do your guys zits nOT pop when your sleeping on your face/?

Guest Timehealsall

Another question regarding sleeping, i read somewhere that most pillow sheets can cause permanent wrinkles on your face. i THINK i might be developing some already. I will try switching to satin pillowsheets and see how it goes.