Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JayQ

Sulfur Sulfacetamide

I recently just stopped my Bactrim of 90 days about 2 weeks ago and my acne and cysts on chin is coming back just like before. I stopped the bactrim because it was making my anxiety worse and giving me stomach problems.

Since the sulfur antibiotic worked pretty well for my acne and keeping the inflammation away and breakouts to a minimum, if the sulfur sulfacetamide as a topical would work just as well?

Has anyone else used it as a topical.

Please help, because i am going to make an appt with my GP tomorrow since i got to wait till the 26th of january to see a derm. I figured i might as well be trying something while i wait.

I recently just stopped my Bactrim of 90 days about 2 weeks ago and my acne and cysts on chin is coming back just like before. I stopped the bactrim because it was making my anxiety worse and giving me stomach problems.

Since the sulfur antibiotic worked pretty well for my acne and keeping the inflammation away and breakouts to a minimum, if the sulfur sulfacetamide as a topical would work just as well?

Please help, because i am going to make an appt with my GP tomorrow since i got to wait till the 26th of january to see a derm. I figured i might as well be trying something while i wait.

Noone? :(

Noone? :(

Well was hoping for some responses but i guess noone really has any input on this treatement :/

My GP appointment is on the 18th of this month and was wondering if i got a Sulfur Sulfacetamide 10%, Sulfur 5% wash and a topical to go with it, that it would be even more effective? Also ive noticed numerous brands and wondering which is the known best to ask for?

Hope to hear from someone.......

I dont know much about these antibiotics, but I do know the sulfur topicals work quite well for me.....until your face gets used to them. Trick is not to use them that much, or only as a on-the-spot treatment.

Also, I thought I would ask you, you seem to be having some of the same problems as me being that you are a male with acne on your jawline....do you think it is hormonal?

Did azelaic acid work for you? ( I thought I remember seeing that you had tried it)

I dont know much about these antibiotics, but I do know the sulfur topicals work quite well for me.....until your face gets used to them. Trick is not to use them that much, or only as a on-the-spot treatment.

Also, I thought I would ask you, you seem to be having some of the same problems as me being that you are a male with acne on your jawline....do you think it is hormonal?

Did azelaic acid work for you? ( I thought I remember seeing that you had tried it)

No i never end up trying the azelaic acid. Well my acne is mainly on chin, mustache area, around mouth and cheeks near nose. i get them on my neck but they are smaller like shave bumps.

Right now i am breaking out really really bad since coming off the antibiotic. It fn sux, i look horrible. I use sulfur now from del la cruz but it seems to help only somewhat. I have no idea wtf my skin wants anymore.

Yo

I use this topical called Prascion. It is 10% sodium Sulfacetamide and 5% sulfur. I love it. I have used it in the past with great results and I am using it now (along with epiduo) with great results. It is not drying and really keeps cysts, pustules, and whiteheads at bay. I highly recommend Prascion cream (its not a wash, its an actual cream that you rub in)

Yo

I use this topical called Prascion. It is 10% sodium Sulfacetamide and 5% sulfur. I love it. I have used it in the past with great results and I am using it now (along with epiduo) with great results. It is not drying and really keeps cysts, pustules, and whiteheads at bay. I highly recommend Prascion cream (its not a wash, its an actual cream that you rub in)

I will def bring up this brand to my GP. Do i have to use the epiduo along with it? Also what kind of acne do you get and where? How clear are you and what exactly is your regimen? I noticed teh epiduo site says do not use if using a sulfur treatment :/?

Edited by JayQ

You definitely do not have to use epiduo along with it. In the past, however, I used it with another retinoid (retin a) and it worked really well also. I have extremely persistent moderate acne (including cysts once in a while). I get it on my chin, cheeks, upper lip (pretty much everywhere except my forehead). It is working really well so far, I have no active acne (not one!!) and red marks are fading also. My skin is a little dry, but its not terrible.

My regimen is this:

Morning: Wash face with purpose cleanser

Apply the Prascion when face is dry

Night: Wash face with Purpose cleanser

Apply Epiduo when face is dry

As to your last part where it says "avoid using sulfur products", they don't mean it will affect the efficacy of the product. There is just a chance it will cause further irritation. But, there is a chance that anything will cause further irritation. So don't worry about that little disclaimer. It seems like the Pracsion actually moisturizes my skin. After i wash my face in the morning there are visible dry patches along my mouth. Once i put the prascion on they go away for the day!

This regimen is awesome because A. It takes virtually no time to apply. B. extremely effective. C. It should theoretically never stop working. Retinoids keep your skin looking better and better. And Both BP and Sulfur/Sodium Sulfacetamide don't gain a bacterial resistance (unlike Clindamycin)

If my face gets too dry in the future i will use Cerave lotion, but i haven't needed to yet

You definitely do not have to use epiduo along with it. In the past, however, I used it with another retinoid (retin a) and it worked really well also. I have extremely persistent moderate acne (including cysts once in a while). I get it on my chin, cheeks, upper lip (pretty much everywhere except my forehead). It is working really well so far, I have no active acne (not one!!) and red marks are fading also. My skin is a little dry, but its not terrible.

My regimen is this:

Morning: Wash face with purpose cleanser

Apply the Prascion when face is dry

Night: Wash face with Purpose cleanser

Apply Epiduo when face is dry

As to your last part where it says "avoid using sulfur products", they don't mean it will affect the efficacy of the product. There is just a chance it will cause further irritation. But, there is a chance that anything will cause further irritation. So don't worry about that little disclaimer. It seems like the Pracsion actually moisturizes my skin. After i wash my face in the morning there are visible dry patches along my mouth. Once i put the prascion on they go away for the day!

This regimen is awesome because A. It takes virtually no time to apply. B. extremely effective. C. It should theoretically never stop working. Retinoids keep your skin looking better and better. And Both BP and Sulfur/Sodium Sulfacetamide don't gain a bacterial resistance (unlike Clindamycin)

If my face gets too dry in the future i will use Cerave lotion, but i haven't needed to yet

Thanks for the response man and info, very appreciated. I too get it pretty much everywhere except my forhead and very sides of cheeks. Those 2 areas are always clear and it may only crop up a tiny whitehead here n there. Its mainly my chin and around mouth too, with cysts galore and pustules, and tons of red marks of course.

So i am hoping i can just get away with using the pracsion. What cleanser do you use? I just use hiblcliens at night in shower. For my regimen since i have to shave at night before shower everynight because i military, i will have to do the application at night only i suppose. Hopefully that will work as well.

Also, I would recommended using epiduo along with the Prascion. I've never used prascion by itself so i'm not sure if you would have the same results.

Well i couldnt get the brand Prascion because it was not in the database here for some reason, and i was prescribed the soulution from the brand/company Perrigo will see how that goes i guess.

i used sulfur sulfacetamide by itself for awhile like 4 years ago. i had pretty bad acne at the time and hadn't been using anything at all on my face. it pretty much cleared me up. and since then my acne has been much milder. but i did switch topicals.

i know clenia wash is also sulfur based, and before i went back on the topical ziana i tried clenia and it made my skin really inflamed within 2 washes. i have very mild acne and i had a huge breakout after trying clenia.

i used sulfur sulfacetamide by itself for awhile like 4 years ago. i had pretty bad acne at the time and hadn't been using anything at all on my face. it pretty much cleared me up. and since then my acne has been much milder. but i did switch topicals.

i know clenia wash is also sulfur based, and before i went back on the topical ziana i tried clenia and it made my skin really inflamed within 2 washes. i have very mild acne and i had a huge breakout after trying clenia.

Did you apply a thin layer all over the areas where u broke out? It is really pasty and doesnt go on smoothly imo. I just have been rubbing it in on actives only. I cant really tell if its working or not, some cysts seem to go away and others dont.