Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insane Badger

Mysterious Red Areas - What's causing them/how can I fix them? ~ Pics Included

Recently, my acne has switched positions from the upper part of my face around my nose, to the lower half of my face, pretty much above and below each side of my mouth. In an effort to reduce this acne (which, for the most part has been successful), I've been applying a lot of stuff to these 4 problem areas both in the day time and at night. Here's a list:

MorningWash with cleanser (either CeraVe or a 2% Salycilic Acid cleanser from Clean & Clear)Apply DM-prescribed Promiseb (for flakiness, pretty much a prescription moisturizer)Apply Aveeno moisturizer w/ 2% SA for entire face (as my face gets VERY dry and flaky after I wash it in the mornings)

Apply Promiseb throughout the day as needed (maybe once or twice when the flakiness gets worse)

Night

Wash face with Clean & Clear 10% BP washApply Promiseb to problem areasApply Acanya (1.2% Clindamycin Phosphate/2.5% BP) all over face - more on problem areasApply Clearisil Spot Treatment BP 10% to problem areas over the Acanya if needed (i.e. a really bad cyst)

However, within the last 3 weeks I have developed red areas around these zones wear the most amount of chemicals were applied. I would assume they have appeared because of the excessive amount of BP I've been using to combat acne in these areas. However, within the last 3 weeks when the red areas started to appear, I've completely cut down on BP on the red areas. Right now I'm only still using the Clean&Clear BP 10% wash, which is only on my face for like 20-30 seconds anyways. However, these red areas have persisted. I have had to put makeup on these areas daily, as I look like a clown with 4 large red blotches at the corners of my mouth. Why are they not going away? I've left them alone for the most part, only apply the Promiseb to help with flakiness. When I look closer, it seems that there are broken blood vessels in this area. How can I heal these areas quickly? My face is FINALLY (kinda) beginning to clear up after an awful breakout I had recently, and these splotches only make things looks worse. Any info, comments, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the pic (sorry, only really shows one side): post-139780-1289266048_thumb.jpg

post-139780-1289266048_thumb.jpg

Actually pretty good, to be honest. Leaves kind of a residue after you apply (almost like Vaseline), but definitely does a good job controlling the flakiness my face often experiences during fall/winter. Lasts a long time too, I haven't even needed to fill the script yet, as I've been using two of the samples my DM gave me 3-4 times a day for the last 6 weeks or so.

Those spots are just irritated skin; apply some petroleum jelly nightly for 2-3 days, avoid putting the medications on those spots for maybe 2-3 days and it should be fine.

@Wynne

I have, I've completely left them alone for 3 weeks. Still no improvement, unfortunately. I'm beginning to think they are not just irritation, as up close it looks like several blood-vessels are popped. ughhhhh :/

Are the areas bumpy, or tight and leathery?

The fact that there is nothing around your lip area suggests Peri-Oral Dermatitis to me. Those are the exact shapes mine started out as. It then spread to a ring around my mouth / nose / chin area.

It lasted for about two months, but a round of anti-biotics cleared it right up for me.

Are the areas bumpy, or tight and leathery?

The fact that there is nothing around your lip area suggests Peri-Oral Dermatitis to me. Those are the exact shapes mine started out as. It then spread to a ring around my mouth / nose / chin area.

It lasted for about two months, but a round of anti-biotics cleared it right up for me.

Nope, no bumps or leathery-ness. Just a little dry. Pretty much same texture as the rest of my skin, just red.

Recently, my acne has switched positions from the upper part of my face around my nose, to the lower half of my face, pretty much above and below each side of my mouth. In an effort to reduce this acne (which, for the most part has been successful), I've been applying a lot of stuff to these 4 problem areas both in the day time and at night. Here's a list:

<ul><b>Morning</b></li><li>Wash with cleanser (either CeraVe or a 2% Salycilic Acid cleanser from Clean & Clear)</li><li>Apply DM-prescribed Promiseb (for flakiness, pretty much a prescription moisturizer)</li><li>Apply Aveeno moisturizer w/ 2% SA for entire face (as my face gets VERY dry and flaky after I wash it in the mornings)

</li><li>Apply Promiseb throughout the day as needed (maybe once or twice when the flakiness gets worse)

broken blood vessels, i have one.

<b>Night</b></li><li>Wash face with Clean & Clear 10% BP wash</li><li>Apply Promiseb to problem areas</li><li>Apply Acanya (1.2% Clindamycin Phosphate/2.5% BP) all over face - more on problem areas</li><li>Apply Clearisil Spot Treatment BP 10% to problem areas over the Acanya if needed (i.e. a really bad cyst)</li></ul>

However, within the last 3 weeks I have developed red areas around these zones wear the most amount of chemicals were applied. I would assume they have appeared because of the excessive amount of BP I've been using to combat acne in these areas. However, within the last 3 weeks when the red areas started to appear, I've completely cut down on BP on the red areas. Right now I'm only still using the Clean&Clear BP 10% wash, which is only on my face for like 20-30 seconds anyways. However, these red areas have persisted. I have had to put makeup on these areas daily, as I look like a clown with 4 large red blotches at the corners of my mouth. Why are they not going away? I've left them alone for the most part, only apply the Promiseb to help with flakiness. When I look closer, it seems that there are broken blood vessels in this area. How can I heal these areas quickly? My face is FINALLY (kinda) beginning to clear up after an awful breakout I had recently, and these splotches only make things looks worse. Any info, comments, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the pic (sorry, only really shows one side): post-139780-1289266048_thumb.jpg