Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eazy^

Accutane or no?

im really confused i see so many bad side effects and so many good, im 19 i started gettin severe acne about a year ago before that it was mild. ive tried everything and i believe its due to gluten sensativity along with sugar etc. i cant seem to stay away from those foods so i always have bad acne, im 19 145 lbs and wondering if i should go on a low dose of accutane and see how it goes. any opinions?

If you know it is from a food, I think it woudl be crazy to take accutane, personally. You just need to work harder at avoiding those foods. I went gluten free for several months (and only switched back because I found it I am not cerliac/gluten seneitive afterall). You can find all the same foods gluten free. Granted, they don't taste as good, but you get used to it. Sugar I have also all but eliminated, but that was a bit harder because your body really thinks it needs it. But if you can push yourself through a couple of weeks, everything will start to go back to the way it's supposed to be. It also depends what it is about sugar that is causing the problems. Like, Agave nectar has a really low glycemic index (ie you don't get the sugar high and crash) and stevia is not even sugar but it tastes sweet (sort of in an artificial way) but you can use it in baking or whatever.

Really, I would try to do this. Accutane can't just be an easy way out. I am on it now and I really really really wish I wasn't. My hair is falling out a bit, and I'm so terrified that something awful is going to happen to me. I would rathar be bald at this point than have the acne I have for the rest of my life, though, so I have decided that it's the only option. A good wig is less noticable than horrible acne.

But yeah, please, try harder at the diet changes. If that doesn't work after you give it 6 months or so, THEN consider other things. Your acne may even go away on it's own as you're only 19.

Good luck :) I know you can do the diet changes if you put your mind to it! I did it. It was hard, but it is possible!

Listen, and listen carefully.

Accutane is not an acne medication. It is however, a medication that cures acne (sometimes).

It was first created for chemotherapy... CHEMOTHERAPY. This is when your body is filled with cancer. Accutane is basically the nuke of all pills, it just has a huge impact on your body, one of which is getting rid of oil production. It also has huge effects on the other parts of your body, most importantly your brain.

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/reprint/162/5/983.pdf

Don't use Accutane. Focus more on getting past the fact you have acne. Be your own therapist, motivator, etc...

Low dose is a viable alternative that has demonstrated good results. Great results, minimal side effects. Worth a talk to your derm. I've just finished a low dose regime myself so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

If you know its from food then I wouldn't take accutane. The decision to take accutane has to be yours. No one here can tell you if you should or shouldn't take it.

I'll give you some quick points to think about.

Accutane is not a cure for acne, but its effective.

There is the chance for permanent side effects, but despite what others say around here, it is not that common. I wouldn't go so far as to say its rare but its certainly not common. If you read these boards you would think that 75% of people are destined for terrible side effects. That's not true at all.

A lot of people here will say this drug should be pulled from the market but I disagree. I think it has its place on the market, but must be prescribed with full disclosure of potential long term side effects. A lot of derms are far too liberal in the prescribing of this stuff.

Accutane is a powerful drug. I'm a biochemistry major so I know a thing or two about what excessive amounts of isotretinoin can do, and let me tell you...it ain't pretty. BUT the assumption behind the drug is that one is not on it long enough for it to exhibit a detrimental effect to the body.

Good luck.

see thats the thing literally 1 mintue ago i just ate a shitload of peanutbutter cookies and pie, and bread. i cant stop eating pizza and PB&J's and just normal food, just cant do it. i really would rather risk the side effects of accutane and be able to eat like i always have before i moved. hopefully a low dose will reduce the risk of side effects.

It can, but I'm not sure if it will help you if you truly are gluten intolerant. And I dont think you'd risk the side effects if you gotten ibd, and can't eat a lot of things and poo 20 times a day :) though it's rare anyhow

see thats the thing literally 1 mintue ago i just ate a shitload of peanutbutter cookies and pie, and bread. i cant stop eating pizza and PB&J's and just normal food, just cant do it. i really would rather risk the side effects of accutane and be able to eat like i always have before i moved. hopefully a low dose will reduce the risk of side effects.

What was the longest period of time you were able to completely avoid these foods? Changing your diet can be difficult for the first few weeks or so, but after that it gets really easy and is just habit.

i would say 3 weeks to a month, its hard because at my house there is ALWAYS cookies and cake and cupcakes and brownies and pizza and all of the most horrbile food for a gluten sensative person to live with. id really rather not go on accutane but i cannot hold back from my urges to eat these foods and my acne is severe enough to go on accutane.

i would say 3 weeks to a month, its hard because at my house there is ALWAYS cookies and cake and cupcakes and brownies and pizza and all of the most horrbile food for a gluten sensative person to live with. id really rather not go on accutane but i cannot hold back from my urges to eat these foods and my acne is severe enough to go on accutane.

If you really want to do it, I think you can. Just to keep healthy snacks around like raisins or even some dark chocolate is ok. You can also try thinking of how bad those things are for you every time you have the craving. One other thing you can do is tell the other people in your house that you're going on a diet; it might make it easier if other people know about it.

And maybe start off gradually, like say one cookie per day or have two days per week where you let yourself eat whatever. Then you can ween yourself rather than quitting cold turkey.

Edited by dont_do_it

yea but im wondering if a low dose like 20mg and a good diet wit hexcercise will eliminate most of my acne completely. it is in the family my mom has had bad cystic acne until she was 40 so that really makes me want to go on tane